Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I believe they make a unit with those that uses the power stack amp as well.

I like it because you don't have to find another spot for the amp. It all fits in the dash.

They do! https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX407/Alpine-iLX-407.html for $450
$200 for the amp stand alone https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTA200M/Alpine-KTA-200M-Power-Pack.html
And HU bundled with the amp https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700407200/Alpine-iLX-407-and-Mono-Amp-Package.html for $665

This is good food for thought. Thank you.

XM has an app that makes is a breeze to add sat radio to any car. As long as you can link via Bluetooth or USB you’re golden. Sound is pretty good all considering you’re driving an off-road vehicle. Loved mine in the TJ. Rock it hard in my current truck.

Reactions: GrinningFool
The Boom Mat 5 1/4 speaker baffles seem like an easy and cheap option for my dash speakers. Regular depth, right?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B0...ker-Baffles-Regular-4-3-16-depth.html?tp=2809

Would Boom Mat Speaker Baffles also be good in the roll bar speaker pods as well? Or would it be better to try to line it with Boom Mat sheets? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6765DY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I plan to use the same Boom Mat sheets to line the sub woofer space in the center console.

I'm no professional when it comes to audio upgrades, but I do appreciate improved sound knowing full well that its a Jeep so not the best environment for it.

Thank you, in advance, for your guidance.
Kim

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum after having purchased my '99 TJ from a friend last Friday! One of the first upgrades I am considering is the sound system, so I did peruse all 53+ pages of this thread...

My TJ has the two dash speakers which appear stock, and the sound bar which a previous owner replaced with JL Audio speakers, and a Pioneer head unit which a previous owner installed. There are no speakers in the rear. The sound is pretty bad (not loud, not clear, and I have to fade the volume to the front at a level of about 7/10 or 8/10 to get a fairly balanced sound); the speakers do not sound blown.

My question is this: where would you start for an upgrade? What I'd like to do is:
1. Keep the Pioneer head unit
2. Keep the JL Audio speakers in the soundbar
3. Replace the front dash speakers, maybe with Kicker 46CSC464 6x9s
4. In the future, add a sub

Excited to hear your thoughts!

IMG_2959.JPEG

IMG_2960.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPEG

Boss double din.
4 - 6.5 JBL Stadium 62F Stadium Series
2 - JBL tweeters
Kicker's 10” subwoofer and a 10" passive sub in a downward-firing box
JBL Stadium 5 amp
All Crutchfield hardware
Yellow top optima
Big 7 wire kit
Fully sound deadened tub

I don’t miss one note, even with doors off and highway speeds.

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_9994.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum after having purchased my '99 TJ from a friend last Friday! One of the first upgrades I am considering is the sound system, so I did peruse all 53+ pages of this thread...

My TJ has the two dash speakers which appear stock, and the sound bar which a previous owner replaced with JL Audio speakers, and a Pioneer head unit which a previous owner installed. There are no speakers in the rear. The sound is pretty bad (not loud, not clear, and I have to fade the volume to the front at a level of about 7/10 or 8/10 to get a fairly balanced sound); the speakers do not sound blown.

My question is this: where would you start for an upgrade? What I'd like to do is:

View attachment 466617

View attachment 466618

View attachment 466619

I’d start by replace all the speakers with 6.5. JBL makes some good ones that are affordable. For the front you will need an adapter though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T1AB28Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

• Face Palm
Reactions: CreepinDeth

View attachment 466617

View attachment 466618

View attachment 466619
I just replaced my rear roll bar speakers with Kicker 5 1/4" speakers I got at Best Buy for $76. I have a Jvc head unit that came with my 2003 Jeep.

The previous owner had already replaced the rear speakers with Pioneer 5 1/4" speakers which because of the lack of volume I thought were the oem speakers. The magnets on the Kicker speakers are noticeably bigger and the have great volume and sound and install easily in the stock holes.

I haven't looked at the front speakers yet to see if they were replaced. I am happy with the sound now and will see if I can get replacement Kicker speakers for the front at some point. Great upgrade in the rear for $80.

20231030_153434.jpg

I checked the front speakers and they were pioneer 4x6. I ordered Kicker 4x6 speakers for the front to match the back as I get plenty of volume now and a good sound. $60 shipped.

5.25” components in front with adaptors
Put the tweeters up on the dash facing the listener

6.5” in the roll bar pods
Install a 400w RMS amp to drive all 4 channels

Anything less isnt “good” IMO
install a sub and amp or combo unit as $$ allows

Reactions: FarFire70
I installed the front speakers today. previous owner had the positive/negative wires reversed on each speaker. fixed that, rechecked back speakers, they were correct.

I installed the front speakers today. previous owner had the positive/negative wires reversed on each speaker. fixed that, rechecked back speakers, they were correct.

Speaker wiring is one of the rare cases where two wrongs make a right.

Has anyone found a decent head unit and speakers that sounds acceptable without an amp or a sub woofer? I don't need thundering bass just something that sounds better than the tin ear Victrola sound of my factory radio and speakers.

my head unit is a jvc kdr370
I can actually hear the front speakers now.

Since the front speakers are in a open space vs the rear speakers in a enclosed space they fill in the sound area to complement the rear speakers projecting sound into the area.

I think its good even though the front speakers are not as prominent. I mean its good enough for when the top and doors are on.

Thats all I really need. Its not going to be satisfactory for someone who wants the equivalent of a designed high end system like in a custom built system for a luxury car.

Has anyone found a decent head unit and speakers that sounds acceptable without an amp or a sub woofer? I don't need thundering bass just something that sounds better than the tin ear Victrola sound of my factory radio and speakers.

Sony makes a DSX-M80 that is 45 watts RMS per channel and marine grade, so slightly water proof.

I've found it to be acceptable.

(If you still have factory speakers on a TJ, upgrading those would make a noticeable difference.)

Sony makes a DSX-M80 that is 45 watts RMS per channel and marine grade, so slightly water proof.

I've found it to be acceptable.

(If you still have factory speakers on a TJ, upgrading those would make a noticeable difference.)

I saw that in an earlier post, probably yours. Looks like a real volume knob too? What speakers did you go with? (I could probably get better sound with just new speakers but I want BT too). The USB and AUX inputs are great.

I saw that in an earlier post, probably yours. Looks like a real volume knob too? What speakers did you go with? (I could probably get better sound with just new speakers but I want BT too). The USB and AUX inputs are great.

I went with Polk Audio front & rear.

My major complaint with single DIN stereos, which I replaced in mine with a double DIN (both Alpines) was I tend to put all of my music on an usb drive. The single DINs are really inconvenient to search for albums, especially while driving. The DDin alpine is leagues better. However, it doesn't have the physical volume knob which would have made it more ideal.

I don't have Sirius, or listen to FM much unless I have to. Blu-tooth is a non-starter for me (to each their own). I like putting my music on a usb micro drive and just select what I want to hear.

Speakers are a major upgrade over stock, but a cheap amp like the soundstream ones really allow the speakers to play louder without distortion. I can tell the difference, maybe not all can, but I get your can as well.

Hi All,

looking to replace the head unit on my 06 LJ with a double DIN system.
Basic requirements;
1) wired and wireless apple car play
2) work with factory sub
3) buttons for volume
4) rear camera input a plus
5) dimmable for night driving
6) screen flush with dash
7) reliable operation

Cost isn’t an issue but really don’t think I need a $1,200 unit.

looking currently at Kenwood Excelon DMX908S and would appreciate any inputs/ advice.

thx!