Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Based on reading this thread I took a first step today.

I kinda impulse bought this locally but I am very pleased with how it looks and the features it has.

Upgraded speakers/ sub and an amp are now on the list. I really appreciate this forum!

6242C0C7-CEB2-4349-9B15-A3750BE1BDFD.jpeg

1867CD1F-D1A7-4A94-A0FC-D56A7D8C5753.jpeg

Reactions: 112dB
You can put 5.25" speakers in the front dash location... it requires adapter plates but is an easy upgrade. The Polk Audio DB 522 I believe are the ones most have recommended.... nice thing about the DB series is the have a high sensitivity rating so they will perform well even with lower power...

Here are a few pictures of what I did. I haven't installed an audio system since the 80s and this was much easier than I remember. I just took my time and with the money I saved doing it myself I bought some quality crimpers and connectors. The learning curve was figuring out the proper use of the crimpers. I rewired everything that the previous installer did. They had the wires run under the carpet on driver floor pan and rear seat. I found this out when I took the carpet out to clean when I got a little too deep and water got into the cab. If you use the factory wiring you don't need to do much. I ran new 14 guage wire for the speakers. Also ran the power along the passenger side and speaker and RCA wire on the drivers side to keep them separate. Make sure you have a good ground to the amp and sub if you go that direction. Photos show how circular 5 1/4 fronts look behind the cover. Sound bar has 6 1/2. Sub with seat folded up and seat folded down. Amp mounted to the trunk enclosure (be sure to use acorn nuts so you don't cut yourself reaching in the back, found that out with the previous self tapping screws the other guy installed)

View attachment 60438

View attachment 60442

View attachment 60443

View attachment 60444

View attachment 60445
Speakers in sound bar, you went 6.5, will 5.25/5.5 fit without modification? I found a good deal on 4 5.5, they may have been 5.25

Speakers in sound bar, you went 6.5, will 5.25/5.5 fit without modification? I found a good deal on 4 5.5, they may have been 5.25
Well if you read the entire thread all of your questions are answered 😬🙄.
Going to fab brackets for front and go 5.25 all around. Polk speakers and Rockville micro amp will probably be the way I go. Looking into head units. Sub will be later down the road. At least this is my plan 🤞

Ok guys i have read through most of the post and think I have a plan for my upgrade with just a few questions.
To start with I have a PO installed JVC KD-X240BT stereo,
I'm ordering Polk DB 522 speakers for the front and rear, brackets for the front, some cheap pods for the front,and some stuffing. I do not have the factory sub in the console so I am going with one of the powered slim subs to go under the back seat. (Rockford PS-8 or Sound Ordnance B-8)
My questions are what amp or do i need an amp for my 4 speakers?
and what other supplies should I order to be ready?
thanks

Reactions: Ephry73
Ok guys i have read through most of the post and think I have a plan for my upgrade with just a few questions.
I'm ordering Polk DB 522 speakers for the front and rear, brackets for the front, some cheap pods for the front,and some stuffing. I do not have the factory sub in the console so I am going with one of the powered slim subs to go under the back seat. (Rockford PS-8 or Sound Ordnance B-8)
thanks
Assuming the head unit has a pre-amp out for the self-powered sub you should be good to go there. I’ll mention the Kicker version as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the refurbished version for $149

You shouldn’t need any amp for the other 4 speakers.

You shouldn’t need anything else at all.

Reactions: Ephry73
Assuming the head unit has a pre-amp out for the self-powered sub you should be good to go there. I’ll mention the Kicker version as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the refurbished version for $149

yeah I'm pretty sure my stereo has a single pair of outs for a sub.
So if your thinking I can get by without an amp for my indash and rollbar speakers this might not be so bad...;)

yeah I'm pretty sure my stereo has a single pair of outs for a sub.
So if your thinking I can get by without an amp for my indash and rollbar speakers this might not be so bad...;)

You'll need to run power to the sub amp from the battery, with an inline fuse. 10 gauge red power wire, black ground, and blue remote turn on to the stereo.

my 2 pennies worth !! Depending upon the out put on your head unit, (it's usually not much), may not be enough to get the loudness/punch you might want or need, to over come outside noise. You've selected well and should be fine. FWIW I added a separate amp to drive the front & roll bar speakers and it really does make a huge difference.

thanks

While you don't need an amp for the Polks, you should look into using an amplifier as they really want to be amped up and will sound much better. If not, look for a cheaper 5.25" set like Kicker 43DSC504 or Rockford Fosgate's R1525X2 which may actually sound better powered by a factory head unit.

Reactions: PalmettoStateBob
my 2 pennies worth !! Depending upon the out put on your head unit, (it's usually not much), may not be enough to get the loudness/punch you might want or need, to over come outside noise. You've selected well and should be fine. FWIW I added a separate amp to drive the front & roll bar speakers and it really does make a huge difference.

100% agree - I even read about a nice inexpensive 4 channel clarion amp being sold in the for sale section. The Seller is the best!

Those Polk speakers are awesome. I have used them to upgrade a stock Bose system in Jettas and Audis alike.
Infinity Kappas are also very nice. Speaker sensitivity and radio output is what you want to balance here