Upper Track Bar Hole Too Big

greyghost_lj

So I've got to replace my bent trackbar. I ordered a JKS OGS125 Adjustable Track Bar. Problem is I forgot I had to drill out the frame side upper track bar hole to 5/8 for the bent track bar and the new one has a 9/16 bolt. Is there some kind of bracket I can get to adapt this? I've seen adapters from Clayton Offroad with a double shear design with rotates the bolt orientation to be parallel with the ground instead of vertically, but for some reason JKS has the adjustable end on the axle side meaning that (as far as I can deduce) the double-shear bracket design for the upper mount won't work. Pictures for reference below. What should I do?

Double-Shear design that won't work the JKS track bar.
rc-tb450-tj-1_1.jpg

JKS OGS125 Track Bar with adjustable rod end on the axle-side and vertically oriented frame-side bolt.
003-jeep-wrangler-tj-jks-mfg-lift-trail-grappler-7.jpg

Not sure if JKS offers a ball with a 5/8 hole but Rockjocks bar comes with one.

So I've got to replace my bent trackbar. I ordered a JKS OGS125 Adjustable Track Bar. Problem is I forgot I had to drill out the frame side upper track bar hole to 5/8 for the bent track bar and the new one has a 9/16 bolt. Is there some kind of bracket I can get to adapt this? I've seen adapters from Clayton Offroad with a double shear design with rotates the bolt orientation to be parallel with the ground instead of vertically, but for some reason JKS has the adjustable end on the axle side meaning that (as far as I can deduce) the double-shear bracket design for the upper mount won't work. Pictures for reference below. What should I do?

View attachment 297981

JKS OGS125 Track Bar with adjustable rod end on the axle-side and vertically oriented frame-side bolt.
View attachment 297982
I don’t think it matters. The hole size doesn’t hold the fastener in place, but friction due to the proper torque spec does.

You may not want to go this route but Currie/RockJock will make you a track bar with whatever hole size you need on the frame end. It's just a matter of swapping out the JJ guts to match your bolt size. Easy Peazy.

I had a Metal Cloak TB that required a drilled frame mount. I replaced it with a RJ TB with the correct frame-end JJ for the drilled out mount.

View attachment 297981

View attachment 297982
If the 9/16" bolt has enough clamping force to hold one in place, it will also hold the new one. As long as there is a washer that fits down into the counterbore, put the bolt in and run it. It won't go anywhere.

If the 9/16" bolt has enough clamping force to hold one in place, it will also hold the new one. As long as there is a washer that fits down into the counterbore, put the bolt in and run it. It won't go anywhere.

I did this on my previous TJ. I had drilled it out for a Currie, but was selling it, wanted to keep the Currie, and couldn't go back to stock since I'd drilled out the taper.

The JKS I bought had a washer that fit down in the counterbore so the bolt couldn't move around. Worked just fine.

Reactions: greyghost_lj
I did this on my previous TJ. I had drilled it out for a Currie, but was selling it, wanted to keep the Currie, and couldn't go back to stock since I'd drilled out the taper.

The JKS I bought had a washer that fit down in the counterbore so the bolt couldn't move around. Worked just fine.
The washer doesn't prevent the bolt from moving except through the function of not resting on top of the uneven forged edges which wear and work in under load reducing torque. The only reason they need to fit down into the counterbore is so there is a flat surface, nothing more. Bolt stretch handles it from there.

Thanks all, I ended up getting the OGS128 from JKS, which is their HD TB and has a 5/8 frame side bolt. This is probably good, considering the current track bar was bent from my recklessness, and I don't think I'll be losing that trait anytime soon ;)

When I put the washer into the counterbore, There is still play in the bolt, when it is not torqued. Does this mean I can still run it?