Vented Hood

Swimmer35

Does adding the vents to the hood really help with engine heat on TJ's? I think they look good, just not sure if it's really functional.

They are functional at releasing heat. More to the point, are they really necessary? Where I live we have snow on the ground. Around LA? maybe. My TJ has never even come lose to over heating and when it hits 40 below I want to keep all the heat under the hood I can. Very common to see cars, trucks, Jeeps with a tarp from the hood to the skid plate during winter.

Reactions: Matt131
Does adding the vents to the hood really help with engine heat on TJ's? I think they look good, just not sure if it's really functional.

You won't gain anything at all from a vented hood other than looks. It may be functional under the most extreme circumstance, but that isn't going to be driving around town, even in Phoenix.

The stock TJ cooling system is more than sufficient at keeping the engine cool.

Reactions: Matt131 and Gabe
Thanks guys. I live in Central Texas where I'm sure the heat is equivalent to Phonenix (plus humidity). I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not.

Reactions: MikeE024
Thanks guys. I live in Central Texas where I'm sure the heat is equivalent to Phonenix (plus humidity). I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not.

Nope, not at all. Jeep designed these things to run in those kinds of temperatures. The best thing you can do is just maintain your stock cooling system.

Reactions: Matt131
Won't really lower engine temps but greatly reduces under hood temps. I killed a compressors because the under hood temp was too much for it.
3114e072faaff50544308df9fc94cca8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't really lower engine temps but greatly reduces under hood temps. I killed a compressors because the under hood temp was too much for it.
How did you manage to diagnose your a/c compressor to definitively prove nothing but underhood heat caused its failure? Not many would believe our a/c compressors will fail from exposure to typical underhood temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I'm relatively new to the TJ world but old to the 1998 ZJ 5.9. Had an extra set of 5.9 hood louvers so I put them to good use. Noticeable difference.

I actually like the look of those. It's subtle, not too extreme like some of the vents I see.

I have a bird bath in the middle of my hood (I'm sure someones fat a$$ plopped down on it)..seriously considering one of these. Cheaper than body work.. has to let the heat out. win/win

I have a bird bath in the middle of my hood (I'm sure someones fat a$$ plopped down on it)..seriously considering one of these. Cheaper than body work.. has to let the heat out. win/win

Can't blame you there. If you already need some bodywork on the hood it certainly would make life easier.

How did you manage to diagnose your a/c compressor to definitively prove nothing but underhood heat caused its failure? Not many would believe our a/c compressors will fail from exposure to typical underhood temps.
I meant my on board air compressor to fill my air tank for tire inflation and air tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Coreyy59
now thats cool... and almost free.... reminds me of hot rodding when it took talent and imagination. Not just a thick wallet.
I've been building cars since the 1960s...never knew a build that didn't need deep pockets. The builds I see today are far more advanced than anything we did in the past...just saying.

Reactions: Wildman
My comment was not so much about cost or saving money, more about doing stuff which takes more imagination than online shopping. I doubt a George Barris build was inexpensive. But I do love ratrods.

RIP George...

Last edited: