Vented Hood

I installed vents in the hood of a couple of my TJ’s and can’t comment if they helped with the heat but it did stop the hood flutter 100%

What is more fun than beating a dead horse?
Dig one up that passed away in 2015, and give it a go!

200.gif

Holy forum resurrections Batman!

I think the consensus is they don't really do anything. If your engine temps are rising, there could be something else going on and that is a sign. I'm with Chris, I did it to fix some paint issues and it's cheaper than repainting the hood.

I know my hood louvers both look good and vent heat. Sometimes I can see thermal haze rising from the louvers just after a rock garden in low or other low speed crawling fun, when the engine is off. Our TJ also has vents on the side of the fenders, so there is plenty of heat escape.

Big holes to cut. For a slow, crawling style application, I would give it a thumbs up.

IMG_2274_zpsshbv3ntv.jpg

I know my hood louvers both look good and vent heat. Sometimes I can see thermal haze rising from the louvers just after a rock garden in low or other low speed crawling fun, when the engine is off. Our TJ also has vents on the side of the fenders, so there is plenty of heat escape.

Big holes to cut. For a slow, crawling style application, I would give it a thumbs up.

View attachment 236167
You are correct! They definitely vent the engine bay heat, which in turn helps with heat soak (the hot states know this). And you no longer have a "blue" setting on your dash HVAC dial after this mod. :ROFLMAO: Those of you with a hood vent know what I mean.

But I think people get confused thinking a vented hood will help with internal engine temperature and that's where they don't.