Vented Hood

I wish they made a replica of the JK 10th Anniversary Rubicon hood for our TJs. That hood is the best looking vented hood I've seen!

well let me ask this . I do like the looks of the hood vents and I do think venting the engine bay could help in several ways. The reason a roof on your home is vented is to get rid of the heat so your roof will last its expected time and your a/c can be cost effective.
But what about all the rain water? where does it go and will it ruin things under the hood??? i cant image that water on the engine being good for anything.

X2 to Chris's comment, your engine won't even notice that you added hood vents. I wheel in the SOCAL deserts and if hood vents served any useful purpose I'd be running them.

This is good to hear. Having just moved to Ridgecrest where I'm a daily driver of my 97 TJ in the Mojave desert, I was thinking it would help (bit of prevention). From what I gather, the engine temp is not effected, but under hood temps might be reduced. Any advantage to that? Don't want to spend the money as I think my TJ looks fine without them. I'm not looking for a cosmetic upgrade.

It will reduce the temps considerably. I installed mine because I made a deal and had $10,000 credit towards parts. Got many things I didn't need and some I really didn't want to just spend the credit.

I added louvers hoping to reduce heat and to hide/remove some bad dents. Secondary benefit is they eliminated the hood lifting when going down the highway at 70mph.

Reactions: Chris
Vents won't affect engine temp, but they will help let hot air out of the engine compartment. I have a set of long/narrow Gen Right vents on my hood. I have the left vent over the exhaust manifold. In the Tucson Summer heat, I've had a few incidents of heat soak. Since installing the vents, I've had none.

Reactions: Stinger
BTW - read a build thread by a guy that put in the spyder louvre who said he'd never had done it if he didn't park in a garage. Leaving it outside in the rain the water just runs in. On older models like mine with distributors, that sounds like a bad idea. I'm still torn on if there is an advantage living in a desert and using them with the idea they drop the engine compartment temp and thus drop the temp of air being pulled into the engine.

CJ, what do you mean heat soak?
When you're running in a hot climate, such as Arizona in the Summer, when you shut the engine off, the fuel in the fuel rail vaporizes. If you start the engine before it has a chance to cool, and the fuel is still vaporized, it causes a miss in the engine, usually cylinder 3. It only lasts a few seconds and doesn't cause any permanent damage, but it will throw a "P0303" code for a few engine cycles.
The factory solution to this is to wrap some sparkplug wire insulation around the number "3" fuel injector. Vents work too, and they look cool.

Thanks. Never heard of that, but something to watch for this July and August when they tell me it can hit 120 here. After reading the reviews, I have pretty much decided vents are 99% cosmetic and I don't want to spend money trying to be proactive and fix a problem I don't have yet. Guess I'll wait and see what happens when the temps here really fire up, and if I run into problems, vents will be a solution I will think about again.

XJ's had the heat soak issue, so much so that Jeep had a part# for a piece of insulation to cover #3 injector. Wish I hung on to the part#, but reason I mention this is it happened on my TJ once a while back during the summer while traveling in higher elevations. I ended up buying the insulation piece from the dealer and installed it. Haven't had the problem since.

IMG_00135B15D.jpg

IMG_00035B15D.jpg

Heat soak happens to me in Florida. Local guys have installed the hood vents and eliminated it.

The insulator sleeve is Mopar part number 56028371AA and costs about $7.00. It didn't help my Jeep.

IMG_4557.JPG

I made my own, mostly because I wanted it too. it did lower under hood temps, but again it really wasn't necessary...

Jeep Jam.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Heat soak happens to me in Florida. Local guys have installed the hood vents and eliminated it.

The insulator sleeve is Mopar part number 56028371AA and costs about $7.00. It didn't help my Jeep.

View attachment 10618
My TJ is a 97 4 cyl 2.5. Strangely enough, I had a misfire when I first got here to CA, but it was not a high temp situation (early January). I might just get the $7 part anyway. Ounce of prevention can't hurt at that price.

I have been playing with the idea of hood vents for a long time, not to try and cool the engine, but to get rid of the excess heat. Especially heat soak. I don't know if it does much, but I just remove the seal at the back of the hood on hot days. With the seal removed there is a gap that runs all along the back of the hood where heat can exit. Just an option for people if the want to try it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You won't gain anything at all from a vented hood other than looks. It may be functional under the most extreme circumstance, but that isn't going to be driving around town, even in Phoenix.

The stock TJ cooling system is more than sufficient at keeping the engine cool.

Being in Yuma AZ (arm pit of AZ) the temps here are worse than the devil's ass Crack.

That being said, haven't had any issues with non vented hoods on the past Jeeps. Don't see it being an issue for the current one.

Being in Yuma AZ (arm pit of AZ) the temps here are worse than the devil's ass Crack.

That being said, haven't had any issues with non vented hoods on the past Jeeps. Don't see it being an issue for the current one.
I have a vented hood now. I didn’t do it for performance, I did it to get rid of the huge area in the middle of my hood where the paint was coming off 🤣