Visual Guide: How much material needs to be removed from Exogate for use with Savvy LED taillights?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Since I am using Savvy LED taillights with my Exogate, it required some cutting of the Exogate bracket. Many have asked me for how much material I removed, so I decided I'd do a quick mockup in Photoshop so you can see for yourself:

Savvy Taillight with Exogate Cutting Dimensions.jpg

I'm merely posting this as a means of helping others in the future who make end up going the same route. Using the dimensions above, the taillights fit perfectly and don't contact the Exogate bracket at all.

Dammit Chris...now I want those flat rear LED's. LOL. I never noticed how flat they were. Do they come with the LED flasher relay or is it not required with these?

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Question - did you you install the Exogate or did the shop where you had other work done?

I installed the Exogate.

Dammit Chris...now I want those flat rear LED's. LOL. I never noticed how flat they were. Do they come with the LED flasher relay or is it not required with these?

Mine came with the LED flasher relay I believe... I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure it did. Either way, you need the relay with them, or any LED taillight for that matter.

As usual, anything from Savvy is just top notch, these taillights are no exception!

Reactions: mots
How did the install go, and what are your impressions of the overall system?

The install was easy. In fact, it was one of the easier installations I've done on my Jeep. Nothing difficult about it at all.

I'm very impressed with it. I've had it on for a while now, and it holds my 35" spare just fine. The tailgate doesn't sag whatsoever, and once you compare the Exogate hinge to the stock hinge, it's easy to see why.

I also like that the system ties into the rear sport bar mounting bracket.

After owning this Exogate, I'd never in a million years run a bumper mounted tire carrier again.

The install was easy. In fact, it was one of the easier installations I've done on my Jeep. Nothing difficult about it at all.

I'm very impressed with it. I've had it on for a while now, and it holds my 35" spare just fine. The tailgate doesn't sag whatsoever, and once you compare the Exogate hinge to the stock hinge, it's easy to see why.

I also like that the system ties into the rear sport bar mounting bracket.

After owning this Exogate, I'd never in a million years run a bumper mounted tire carrier again.
Thanks. I'm sure you probably chronicled the install and such on your build thread, but I'm impossibly behind on keeping up. About 20 pages...

Thanks. I'm sure you probably chronicled the install and such on your build thread, but I'm impossibly behind on keeping up. About 20 pages...

Don't worry, I'm just as lost as you are. I'm not even sure if it's a build thread at this point. More like 160 pages of derailing, haha.

Since I am using Savvy LED taillights with my Exogate, it required some cutting of the Exogate bracket. Many have asked me for how much material I removed, so I decided I'd do a quick mockup in Photoshop so you can see for yourself:

View attachment 68233

I'm merely posting this as a means of helping others in the future who make end up going the same route. Using the dimensions above, the taillights fit perfectly and don't contact the Exogate bracket at all.
7 & 2/8 ths............ so 7 1/4" this is why we get made fun of. Time to go to the metric system.
:iloveyou:

Reactions: Chris

This is just a cautionary tale, but when you put weight on the tub instead of the bumper or bumper/tub combo, after a while the tub will beat down on the body mounts and will put upwards dents in the tub. Mostly in the forward 2 rear mounts. The harder you drive, the faster this happens. Trevors did it within one year of putting good shocks on his Jeep. Mine did it without armor or backseat, and had the tire on a Currie bumper carrier.

The instructions that come with it if you get the two pages are very good. I’ve done it twice now and it’s pretty simple (on my rubicon it was a lot easier than on my 2000 due to slight changes in tailgate design).

It took me far far far longer to cut it for my eventual savvy lights than put the thing on haha

Last edited:
7 & 2/8 ths............ so 7 1/4" this is why we get made fun of. Time to go to the metric system.
:iloveyou:

Damnit, you got me! Stupid error on my part!

This is just a cautionary tale, but when you put weight on the tub instead of the bumper or bumper/tub combo, after a while the tub will beat down on the body mounts and will put upwards dents in the tub. Mostly in the forward 2 rear mounts. The harder you drive, the faster this happens. Trevors did it within one year of putting good shocks on his Jeep. Mine did it without armor or backseat, and had the tire on a Currie bumper carrier.

I don't do any fast desert style racing by any means... is this still something I should be concerned about? I hadn't given this any thought to be honest.

Yup. This'll do it every time...:)

Damnit, you got me! Stupid error on my part!

I don't do any fast desert style racing by any means... is this still something I should be concerned about? I hadn't given this any thought to be honest.
Some perspective. Next time you get around a stock TJ, peek under the front fenders and look at the amount of room there is over the top of the shock pin to the bottom of the inner fender. It's about 2" or so and there is a hole right over the pin so you can stick an extension down through to take off the top shock nut.

I've had several rigs in here that when you look at that, you can see several upward dents in the inner fender from the shock pin slamming into it. If you drive like that, might want to pay attention to the areas Paul mentioned. If you don't, maybe not so much.

Some perspective. Next time you get around a stock TJ, peek under the front fenders and look at the amount of room there is over the top of the shock pin to the bottom of the inner fender. It's about 2" or so and there is a hole right over the pin so you can stick an extension down through to take off the top shock nut.

I've had several rigs in here that when you look at that, you can see several upward dents in the inner fender from the shock pin slamming into it. If you drive like that, might want to pay attention to the areas Paul mentioned. If you don't, maybe not so much.

Makes sense. I'll pay more attention to this from now on!