VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Glad to see you're back at it.
This build is very interesting!
We still have to mount the interior fuse box which is currently sitting on the drivers floor....and we have to mount the power steering reservoir....then we can take it out in the parking lot for its maiden test. Looking very forward to it.

Whats going on with your CRD Liberty? Still considering a swap?

Yes actually, I just need to get through our beta release at work (been working crazy hours the last 3 weeks) but yes the current idea is to still put the drivetrain from my Liberty in to my LJ Rubicon. I need to see if I can mate the NP241OR to the 545rfe as well and I need to figure out a few other details around it as well.

Truthfully I need to go back through this entire thread and take notes on everything you have done.

-Grant

Reactions: Tob and Wildman
Waiting for bolts to arrive to install the rear driveshaft so we started on the mount for the fuse box. We're going to mount the fusebox under the dash against the front of the cowl. Made a mock-up of the
Yes actually, I just need to get through our beta release at work (been working crazy hours the last 3 weeks) but yes the current idea is to still put the drivetrain from my Liberty in to my LJ Rubicon. I need to see if I can mate the NP241OR to the 545rfe as well and I need to figure out a few other details around it as well.

Truthfully I need to go back through this entire thread and take notes on everything you have done.

-Grant
I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

We 3D printed the bracket that holds the fusebox to the firewall installed the fusebox. Hoping to test drive this thing on Friday.

IMG_20211116_140936.jpg

IMG_20211117_134710.jpg

IMG_20211117_134549.jpg

Drove the Jeep out of the shop for it's maiden test drive and I was all smiles....The Jeep feels nice and tight but needs a wheel alignment...in the snow it was darting from side to side...the toe angles are way out. Super happy to see the speedometer working perfectly.....in order to get a working speedometer we had to transplant the ABS system from the Liberty because the Liberty cluster gets it's speed signal from the rear wheel speed sensor...The transmission was shifting properly but the Electronic Throttle Control light in the cluster was flashing probably because there was no mass air flow sensor plugged is as it's attached to the upper air box cover which doesn't fit under the TJ's hood.....as a result we were in limp mode. With four people onboard with a combined weight of about 1000lbs it was pulling but you could feel the flatness in the pedal....so anxious to see how it behaves once that problem is solved. Despite full power not being available, I was very happy with how it drove...

Awesome! Congrats on the test drive. Must feel good after such a long project.
We're still far from finished...still have lots of stuff to do to complete the build but yes, it sure feels good to drive it...when we get her out of limp mode she is going to be one hell of a jeep. Will keep posting till it's finished..thanks.

Yes sir, it sure does!!

I have a daily CRD as well. But it's really nice to fire it up the project one without all the body hooked up and have it sit there and puuuurrrr!!!!
Surprisingly there was only a couple codes that will need to be turned off by the tuner. So that worked out well.

Keep up the good work with the kids!! I had a great shop teacher like you when I was in school, but I think you guys are far and few between.

We got the front bumper installed today and I think it looks pretty good. It came off a 2017 Wrangler...but we had to make several modifications to make it fit. Just waiting for fog light connectors to come in so that we can wire them up....after we install the connectors to the pre existing wiring and plug them into the bulbs...they will come on with the factory fog light switch on the signal light stalk.

IMG_20211213_131809.jpg

IMG_20211213_131758.jpg

COVID closed us down after xmas and this is our second day back. Just about have the turbo air intake plumbing completed. The MAF sensor is part of the air filter lid on the Liberty and because of the size of the air box, we couldn't use it. Instead we are using a k&N filter and aluminum piping.....students machined a slot for the MAF sensor to slide into the air-stream on the pipe....now have to get the MAF sensor fitting welded onto the pipe.....once that is done it should be out of limp mode.

IMG_20220118_124357.jpg

IMG_20220118_124349.jpg

IMG_20220118_124320.jpg

Just about ready for wheel alignment, mechanical inspection and license plates. We just finished installing the soft top which was a real PITA because it fits so tight. Was impossible to do until the soft top sat in the sun for half a day. Looks great though. Just a few things to do next week...check torque on all the bolts underneath, gotta paint the wheels (want to buy new rims and tires but no room in the budget....likely next year) and still have to install head unit and speakers....and in the process of fabricating a rear bumper.

IMG_20220422_161227.jpg

IMG_20220422_160313.jpg

IMG_20220422_160324.jpg

IMG_20220422_160328.jpg

IMG_20220422_160337.jpg

IMG_20220422_160306.jpg

IMG_20220422_160258.jpg

Just about ready for wheel alignment, mechanical inspection and license plates. We just finished installing the soft top which was a real PITA because it fits so tight. Was impossible to do until the soft top sat in the sun for half a day. Looks great though. Just a few things to do next week...check torque on all the bolts underneath, gotta paint the wheels (want to buy new rims and tires but no room in the budget....likely next year) and still have to install head unit and speakers....and in the process of fabricating a rear bumper.

View attachment 324743

View attachment 324744

View attachment 324745

View attachment 324746

View attachment 324747

View attachment 324748

View attachment 324749
So awesome that this is complete!

It looks great and you and your students have something to be proud of. A lot of work and a great teacher lead to this.