Warn 8000 lb contactor replacement recommendations

DougyintheBushies

TJ Enthusiast
Who’s tried one of them cheap winch contractors off Amazon? There’s so many and I’m not sure if they are the same 500a part with different names and part numbers.

If any one recommends a certain one it would help. I really don’t want to pay over 100$ for the Warn one.
Thanks.

My *guess* would be "Pick your poison." Maybe they're great, maybe they're not, most of them probably come from the same factory "Hecho en China". So at a time like this, you gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

• Haha
Reactions: DougyintheBushies
My *guess* would be "Pick your poison." Maybe they're great, maybe they're not, most of them probably come from the same factory "Hecho en China". So at a time like this, you gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
That's my plan unless someone has had good results with a certain brand. Oh btw, I enjoyed your youtube video with the winch in the wagon. Lol. I stumbled upon it watching winch wiring videos. (y)

Reactions: Zorba
Can anyone confirm this wiring diagram to a universal contactor not an Albright ? I'm almost positive the contactor terminal orientation is correct from web research. I collected this diagram off the web and altered it for a universal contactor. My contac. will be in today from Amazon.

Just wanting to make sure I'm wiring this right for a 5 pin. I read that the 5-pin is better for safety reasons and if one side of the contac. is bad the winch wont spool in or out. The P.O. switched the 5 pin to a 3 pin to get the winch to spool in before the sale. He told me he installed a new contac. and its clearly not new.
Thanks

Orcich contactor.jpg

Attachments

• Warn 5 pin to universal solenoid.pdf
    726.2 KB · Views: 137
Can anyone confirm this wiring diagram to a universal contactor not an Albright ? I'm almost positive the contactor terminal orientation is correct from web research. I collected this diagram off the web and altered it for a universal contactor. My contac. will be in today from Amazon.

Just wanting to make sure I'm wiring this right for a 5 pin. I read that the 5-pin is better for safety reasons and if one side of the contac. is bad the winch wont spool in or out. The P.O. switched the 5 pin to a 3 pin to get the winch to spool in before the sale. He told me he installed a new contac. and its clearly not new.
Thanks

View attachment 321050
Five pin wiring is for the upright post solenoids Warn uses on some of their winches. It provided circuit redundancy and supposedly helped manage the voltage spike from the windings when the magnetic field collapses. Neither of these are really an issue with a contactor. You can wire the the ground side of the contactor to be switched if you want but I have not found any benefit to doing so.

Five pin wiring is for the upright post solenoids Warn uses on some of their winches. It provided circuit redundancy and supposedly helped manage the voltage spike from the windings when the magnetic field collapses. Neither of these are really an issue with a contactor. You can wire the the ground side of the contactor to be switched if you want but I have not found any benefit to doing so.
Does the wiring diagram look right how I have it? So Its just as safe to wire it like a 3 pin also with a contactor? I took the remote socket out and redid it to five pin style already. I don't want to create a dead short and burn my Jeep up. LOL I thought Warn uses 5 pin/Albright set up on their new winches.

Would you recommend 3 pin or 5 pin?

Last edited:
Does the wiring diagram look right how I have it? So Its just as safe to wire it like a 3 pin also with a contactor? I took the remote socket out and redid it to five pin style already. I don't want to create a dead short and burn my Jeep up. LOL I thought Warn uses 5 pin/Albright set up on their new winches.

Would you recommend 3 pin or 5 pin?
Your diagram looks good. Only thing you may have to do is switch the green and black so the winch direction matches the remote. I will take a pic of a Warn contactor harness tonight so you can see how they currently wire them up.

So I couldn’t get it to work with the 5 wire setup so I swapped to 4 wires. I capped off the red wire/motor ground and spliced in the switch ground/ brown wire into the ground coming off bottom of the motor. Now it works as it should.

0CCCA474-8614-428D-83A1-9946E73AFE81.png

Reactions: Blackjack