Warn X8000i thoughts?

Midtenn

TJ Addict
I know practically nothing about winches but I figure if I'm ever going to offroad with @AndyG then I will need one. I found a lead on one off FB marketplace. It is a Warn X8000i. The price is $300. What should I know or consider before buying a winch? Is this a model to even consider? I can't find much about it online.

Reactions: AndyG
8,000 pounds is plenty, I believe the XD9000i (x8000i's big brother) is a popular choice, but it's heavier than a normal M8000. if you looking for a good cheap winch, I just got a Brand New Shittybuilt X20 10K for $330 on amazon. it isn't a Warn, so finding parts will be a PITA after the warranty expires. but there fairly reliable and within my budget.

Reactions: TWiG01 and Midtenn
I know practically nothing about winches but I figure if I'm ever going to offroad with @AndyG then I will need one. I found a lead on one off FB marketplace. It is a Warn X8000i. The price is $300. What should I know or consider before buying a winch? Is this a model to even consider? I can't find much about it online.
Let me weigh my TJ!! I want to make sure it gets my dumb butt out. 😃😃

You will want to check the vintage on the 8i as the early ones used a plastic control box cover that is no longer available and if its damaged you will have to do an upgrade.

Reactions: Midtenn
8,000 pounds is plenty, I believe the XD9000i (x8000i's big brother) is a popular choice, but it's heavier than a normal M8000. if you looking for a good cheap winch, I just got a Brand New Shittybuilt X20 10K for $330 on amazon. it isn't a Warn, so finding parts will be a PITA after the warranty expires. but there fairly reliable and within my budget.
Your post intrigued me. For $330, even if lasts only a few years, that’s a good buy. Do you have a link?

Don’t get me wrong, its a great winch. It’s just the only real negative of the Xi series if I remember. That and $$$ winch he has found a way around
Don't discourage him...I can't drive a rototiller. Gonna need a winch! 😃😃

Reactions: TWiG01
what? plz explain.
Man i'm just talking junk. I had a hilarious friend/roommate back in the day that said that about people that can't drive.

I'm up for anything we get into.

I'm never going to be the guy to get on here and talk about my 6 pack abs, perfect TJ , fat bank account and all the things I don't really have.

Reactions: Zorba
Man i'm just talking junk. I had a hilarious friend/roommate back in the day that said that about people that can't drive.

I'm up for anything we get into.

I'm never going to be the guy to get on here and talk about my 6 pack abs, perfect TJ , fat bank account and all the things I don't really have.
$60,000 in Snap-On tools? 😂 no harm. that last one just had me confused on the phrasing.

Reactions: AndyG
Can’t beat a Warn. Had many.

Both my rigs have Smittybilt winches currently. They work great and yes, I do use them. Put some good grease in and they are gtg.

I received this feedback on a message.

"The winch does work, but the free spool doesn't." Should I assume it's gonna need a full rebuild? If so, would it sway you to a new, china-built kind?

I received this feedback on a message.

"The winch does work, but the free spool doesn't." Should I assume it's gonna need a full rebuild? If so, would it sway you to a new, china-built kind?
I assume the gearbox is jammed and the drum can't be disconnected from the motor. If so you would have to tare it down and rebuild it. Because it's a warn the parts will be there so you can rebuild it, but factor that into your cost. as far as Warn V.S China. that's a whole other can of worms. but personally I wen't Ssmittybuilt X20, which I am still waiting to mount.

I assume the gearbox is jammed and the drum can't be disconnected from the motor. If so you would have to tare it down and rebuild it. Because it's a warn the parts will be there so you can rebuild it, but factor that into your cost. as far as Warn V.S China. that's a whole other can of worms. but personally I wen't Ssmittybuilt X20, which I am still waiting to mount.
Any idea of what parts will likely need to be replaced? I clicken on some random Warn site and it appears none of the parts are cheap.

Any idea of what parts will likely need to be replaced? I clicken on some random Warn site and it appears none of the parts are cheap.
tbh, I haven't torn into a warn winch before, I would guess there's some sort of selector arm like in an M/T that broke, or maybe the mechanism is just gummed up and you could clean it and regrease it. but you are passing beyond my area of expertise.

Winches are really simple. From what I remember the selector lever just slides a ring gear over to the planetary. The ring gear is probably corroded or binding in the housing.