Welding Helmet

I went from a hf to the viking 3350. Much better visibility and adjustability. Has a grinding mode too. I'll never go back to cheap crap

Reactions: P man
I went from a hf to the viking 3350. Much better visibility and adjustability. Has a grinding mode too. I'll never go back to cheap crap

I've stopped using the grind mode because I inevitably forget to turn it back to shade before I strike an arc. I ended up just buying a clear face shield for grinding work.

I need to start looking around FB market or craigslist again for welding equipment if I can find any cheap enough/ or even free ones there people just trying to clear out old junk. I only have Oxy/Acetylene Goggles at the moment, but I'm trying to build my tool an PPE collection.

Mine look more like these ones.

[URL]https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-oxy-acetylene-goggles-2-in-flip-front[/URL]

The problem with those is you can still burn your face. If you have ever had weld burn or flash burn before It isn't fun.

The problem with those is you can still burn your face. If you have ever had weld burn or flash burn before It isn't fun.

Fair enough, I don't have any welding gear anyway, so couldn't use em if I wanted right now. But I'll keep it in mind for when I do and yes, I've been burned bad by things in the past lol

Fair enough, I don't have any welding gear anyway, so couldn't use em if I wanted right now. But I'll keep it in mind for when I do and yes, I've been burned bad by things in the past lol

I remember one time I was just laying a few tacks and it was hot as heck in my garage..you guessed it no shirt welding took place. It wasn't any fun

Most generic hoods are good for hobby welders. Also pick up some clear outside lenses so you can change them out. If you wear glasses most hoods allow for a magnifying "cheater" lens on the inside.

The shop I buy most of my metal at also does fabrication. I asked the head guy what kind of helmets they use. They said they are pretty hard on their helmets and don't spend a lot on them. I was a bit surprised.

That's typical of a fab shop. I weld every day and my hood of choice is a cheap fibre metal with a Wen's lens blue shade 10.

https://www.wenslens.com/buy-now#!/Wens-Lens-Ultra-Cool-Blue-Welding-Lenses/c/20472159

I weld a few times a week. I don't abuse my helmets (Auto-Welds) but with all the cutting, grinding, hammering and tool and material movement that goes on they get their fair share of knocks ... usually when they're in the line of fire vs. on my head.

I have about 25-30 years of welding down so far, I have wore out and killed a bunch of helmets in that time. My OG original glass lens hood still works LOL. I have had expensive or better quality hoods and most recently the $50 HF auto dark hood. I was impressed with it at first, I could SEE again! 6-8 months later and its kinda getting dark. Now to be honest, it could be a setting or maybe an overhead light is failing, but it sure seems less impressive today. I "believe" the auto darkening hoods just die over time, exposure to massive UV and tender loving care of course. I don't know but that's my thoughts, they just get darker/less able to switch over time/exposure/use/abuse. Maybe the higher end hoods last longer but I am not absolutely convinced on that.
Also Muddybeards4x4 says the higher end HF hood is outstanding compared to the cheap one I have, so hey.

I went to my local welding shop and they let me try a variety of helmets in their welding booth. I needed something with great visibility and ergonomics for a MIG/TIG stainless steel multi-position tube welding test, and chose the ESAB A60. It has a big viewing area, yellow tint which helps me see the puddle more clearly, really fast darkening, and I like the ability to change parameters for welding TIG, MIG, grinding, etc. I got it with the magnification lens which I like, too. And I don't notice it's there even after wearing it a long time. I've welded together two entire Jeep bodies with this helmet, along with some frame work, and it works flawlessly every time.

Moral Of The Story #1: If you intend on doing serious welding (anything on a vehicle, not just crafts) , get something comfortable with good visibility which suits your eyes.
Moral Of The Story #2: If your situation fits Moral #1, make sure you try some out before spending your money.
Moral Of The Story #3: Don't be afraid to spend a little money.