Well, Bestops customer service is declining, never thought I'd see it

Bestop like so many other companies has gone downhill with both product quality and customer service.

They (as well as many others) will pay the price. Bad news spreads fast.

I dunno Chris. Their website has a huge product line now. I'd be willing to bet you no one over at Bestop is upset about us TJ owners being pissed about their loose tops (normally a good thing in other conversations).

2006 was the last production year. Not many companies now a days putting their "all in" for a 17-year old vehicle. There's just too many JLs, Gladiators and new-gen Broncos out there and those owners probably out buy us by 20:1.

I'm not ignoring you, I manage 4 other forums along with multiple social media platforms so I go back and forth between all of them and sometimes I'm not able to circle back to all of them within one day, I apologize for that.

I talked to Shawna and was advised to not step on toes beings you and her have had conversations about the situation with the windows and discount, with her being the CS Supervisor, I cannot override any decision she has made unfortunately. CS sent you a rear window at no charge and has offered you a 15% discount on the price for the quarter windows, they're not able to send the quarter windows to you for free unfortunately. I thanked CS for even being able to offer you a discount on the quarter windows, yeah it sucks you can't get those for free too but it is what it is unfortunately and I'm sorry for that, I wish there was more I could do to help there. I've already sent Shawna the link to this thread for review and I'm happy to share any additional feedback, questions, comments or concerns you may have to her however there isn't much I can do at this point with how involved CS is and what they've already stated they can and cannot do, within means and reason, I'm sorry!
~Crystal@Bestop

She has not sent a rear window, Shawna said she could send a free rear window, but not the side windows. I told her I already have a spare rear window, i do not need another one. I tried to save Bestop, money and trouble, by giving up on using the Sunrider, when she initially said they'd send an entire new top. Explaining that my top has now been on too long and it's stretched, and the strap kit won't work, so it needs an entire new top and strap kit" They then backed up and said, "oh, sorry, can't authorize an entire top", but we'll send the strap kit and instructions for repair. "To first see it it fixs it"
I was simply like, look, keep the entire top, just send me a set of side windows and I'll call it cute. Cheap, easy, much cheaper than sending me an entire top, a strap kit fix that may or may not work, and if it doesn't, having to send another top anyway??? I'm pushing a month of emails here, and as far as I know nothing has been shipped to me.
Help me here, I'm still being reasonable.

Reactions: C.J. Roberts
Customer Service, from my understanding, fixed the top issue and sent a strap that was needed. Unless there are other issues that I am not aware of, this is a closed case.
@SamwiseGamJeep if there is anything you may need or additional feedback that you'd like me to share with CS, please feel free to email, I'm happy to help within my means, [email protected].
Thank you,
~Crystal@Bestop

[email protected]https://wranglertjforum.com/members/crystal-bestop.40872/
Ok, this is getting unreal.
Crystal, again I haven't been sent or shipped ANYTHING on this case yet, no straps no fixes, no windows. not that I'm aware of, and have not received any emails saying so. And if it is closed, it was closed by Shawna without being resolved.
What is going on here folks? @Chris , @AndyG @Jerry Bransford

And after going through the emails, although there has not been any response in a few days since I brought up all the issues I'm having with my top, there is this that I'll add from Shawna, to her credit, and I told her I do appreciate it, quote-

"Jeff. I will keep my eye out for windows for you. I have also made a special request with my Returns department to let me know if we have any come back that are salvageable so that I can send those your way. I am so sorry about that again."
Shawna

Wow, so many familiar experiences… I had the same issues with my interactions with Bestop. It’s gotta be outsourcing plus the fact we are now a “MASSIVE” minority now. We’re lucky to get anything until you realize the price we pay …

Bestops customer service is nearly powerless and worse slightly incompetent to the technical aspects of their product. They cannot verify measurements. Just guess at the problem and ignore you after the first attempt.

It’s been this way for a while, I bought a couple tops for a TJ and an LJ. Both not perfect products … I also bought products for my JL, JT and JT again, guess what, THEY WERE PERFECT!

I got to talk poorly about such a respectable company and they have a warm spot in my heart because literally some of the best products and exciting mods all came from Bestop in my many years of tinkering with Jeeps.

Why can’t they send a top that works? They make ‘em.

Well, you'd think wouldn't you buddy?
Look at how this has blown up, unreal.
And I've been very reasonable and trying to go the easy route, I mean, how hard is it to send a set of side windows and maybe a strap fix for the Sunrider, and I was willing to give up on using it, just use safari option, but this now is pushing a month of wow.

Well, you'd think wouldn't you buddy?
Look at how this has blown up, unreal.
And I've been very reasonable and trying to go the easy route, I mean, how hard is it to send a set of side windows and maybe a strap fix for the Sunrider, and I was willing to give up on using it, just use safari option, but this now is pushing a month of wow.

I don’t know the whole story but you need to be able to get what you paid for- And historically they’ve been good to do that for owners.

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
Wow, so many familiar experiences… I had the same issues with my interactions with Bestop. It’s gotta be outsourcing plus the fact we are now a “MASSIVE” minority now. We’re lucky to get anything until you realize the price we pay …

Bestops customer service is nearly powerless and worse slightly incompetent to the technical aspects of their product. They cannot verify measurements. Just guess at the problem and ignore you after the first attempt.

It’s been this way for a while, I bought a couple tops for a TJ and an LJ. Both not perfect products … I also bought products for my JL, JT and JT again, guess what, THEY WERE PERFECT!

I got to talk poorly about such a respectable company and they have a warm spot in my heart because literally some of the best products and exciting mods all came from Bestop in my many years of tinkering with Jeeps.

Right, same experiences going here with their CS, they sometimes try, but dang, it's a lot of work and time to get anything resolved.
And I think we all need to be careful in saying we're a minority being TJs and Ljs, still more around than Cjs, and the prices continue to climb on them, and more and more people are saving and restoring them, like myself, not to mention all of our ties to the entire jeep community, FB pages, clubs, city groups like Rocket City Wranglers here in Huntsville. And in all of these groups, and from multiple friends that own jeeps, new and old, I'm seeing more and more complaints about Bestop.

Right, same experiences going here with their CS, they sometimes try, but dang, it's a lot of work and time to get anything resolved.
And I think we all need to be careful in saying we're a minority being TJs and Ljs, still more around than Cjs, and the prices continue to climb on them, and more and more people are saving and restoring them, like myself, not to mention all of our ties to the entire jeep community, FB pages, clubs, city groups like Rocket City Wranglers here in Huntsville. And in all of these groups, and from multiple friends that own jeeps, new and old, I'm seeing more and more complaints about Bestop.

I think the JK and newer crowd outnumber us, spend more money and are LOUDER.

Someday I want to build a nice CJ8 from a TDK frame and fiberglass tub. I’m convinced I can build it cheaper than I paid for my tired old LJ

IMG_4604.jpeg

I need these as well...

Ok, they sent another email, saying that they have resolved my issue and in the same email, informing me that the strap kit is the resolution, and that said strap kit is on backorder for 3-5 weeks, and that they do have a request into their shipping department, to try and find some damaged, or scratched return side windows, to senf me for free ,making it clear that they didn't have to do that.
(Ok, fair enough, they don't, and I've told them at every turn, thank you for whatever you can do.) I spent almost $3000 on top, slider half door uppers and a window duffel, after sale discounts.
But, in that message and all since I've brought back up, all of the issues with the top that haven't been resolved, (alignment, gapping at header), they blatantly ignored.
So, I have now clarified my multiple issues again, and then sent this- (for those on here that care to read lol), - To Bestop Customer Service-

"You know, this has been so ridiculous,
Do I need to contact John Larson, CEO?
Or Richard Sabourin, CEO- president?
Mark Kuchenrither, CFO?
I mean, I'm not a jerk, but, years ago, I had a legitimate, out of warranty issue with Arctic Cat inc. In St. Cloud Minnesota, and although it took leg work, phone, email's, and yes, hand written snail mail, my issue was resolved, and paid for, with extended warranty, because I had a faulty product, and I was in the right.
And if those owners and employees still work there, they probably remember my name, and if not, the incident.
It's not what I enjoy doing, but it is possible, I have the contacts, the knowledge, and the ability to do it. Like I said, I'm tenacious when I know I'm in the right, and have a legitimate issue with a product.
I spent almost $3000.00 on the order with you guys, and have spent HOURS on texts, phone calls and emails resolving some, and some not, of the issues I've had, and still have.
A little extra is not unreasonable to ask for.
I'd rather you guys, in customer service, take care of me instead of me having to contact and talk to corporate directly, but, if your customer service team cannot, I would want to speak to someone in corporate, in upper management.
My name is- Scott Varden, (Jeffrey Scott), my phone number- xxx-xxx-xxxx"
@AndyG @Chris
Show quoted text

I'm not a jerk, but, years ago, I had a legitimate, out of warranty issue with Arctic Cat inc. In St. Cloud Minnesota, and although it took leg work, phone, email's, and yes, hand written snail mail, my issue was resolved, and paid for, with extended warranty, because I had a faulty product, and I was in the right.

Give it time, weed is now legal in MN too.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
Been emailing back and forth on this case # since before July 19th. Three representatives. This is part of why I'm taking a stand and pushing for better customer service.

Screenshot_20230831_135349_Gmail.jpg

What straps are you trying to get? and what specifically is wrong with your sunrider ???

Well, I think it's all in this post if you read back, and I've told it to bestop over and over repeatedly with multiple reps.
In a nutshell, the Sunrider in open position, folded back into the way its described in manual and by bestop, and I've tried any way possible, collapses in and down onto our heads, and yes it's dangerous, especially when it happens at highway speed, and does it at anything over 30 plus mph.
And I've tried multiple ties with nice, smooth extra long bungees, in multiple ways to secure it, to no avail.
And I'm starting to wonder if the strap kits even exist yet or not, and if it would even secure it.

Well, I think it's all in this post if you read back, and I've told it to bestop over and over repeatedly with multiple reps.
In a nutshell, the Sunrider in open position, folded back into the way its described in manual and by bestop, and I've tried any way possible, collapses in and down onto our heads, and yes it's dangerous, especially when it happens at highway speed, and does it at anything over 30 plus mph.
And I've tried multiple ties with nice, smooth extra long bungees, in multiple ways to secure it, to no avail.
And I'm starting to wonder if the strap kits even exist yet or not, and if it would even secure it.

Oh, I missed that … I think they all do that. The factory Mopar did that. But I think the softer twill material happens easier … maybe using the Velcro strap to pinch the “ V “ shape of the folded rod will put enough force to keep the top from creeping on your head …

If you remove the rear window, it happens less …

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
Oh, I missed that … I think they all do that. The factory Mopar did that. But I think the softer twill material happens easier … maybe using the Velcro strap to pinch the “ V “ shape of the folded rod will put enough force to keep the top from creeping on your head …

If you remove the rear window, it happens less …

Yessir, tried all of that, the twill is thick, you'd think it'd stay in place better, and tried it with rear window out, and unzipped, doors on or off, door windows open or closed.