Well, there goes the engine

It's hard to say, but...

How many miles on it?
Was the correct oil used and changed regularly?
Was it run with a misfire condition for an extended period?
Was it run under or over 200-220 degrees for an extended period?
We don’t know, sellers never disclose their mistreatment. Just curious if anyone has ideas.

Cheap oil was mentioned.

what oil do most of you guys prefer?

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
We don’t know, sellers never disclose their mistreatment. Just curious if anyone has ideas.

Cheap oil was mentioned.

what oil do most of you guys prefer?
I use a high mileage conventional oil to help with a RMS leak. IMO, the change interval is more important than brand, etc. There are many existing threads arguing the merits of oil A vs oil B.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty, you can send your oil in for analysis.

I use a high mileage conventional oil to help with a RMS leak. IMO, the change interval is more important than brand, etc. There are many existing threads arguing the merits of oil A vs oil B.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty, you can send your oil in for analysis.
Yes same here on oil choice and agree, frequency matters.

Seems to be an issue with 99 model 4.0. My old 99 Cherokee Classic had the piston skirt shatter issue but I bought it that way. I ended up getting a junkyard engine with 50k documented miles out of a wreck that survived the war of cash for clunkers. Just be thankful you don't have a 01 with the 0331 head, I guess.

I can say that if this happened to me, I'd probably just pay to have the engine completely rebuilt instead of just swapping the bearings. Maybe get a stroker.

What makes this story sickening is imagine a meticulous guy , with good equipment and resources, bringing every system in this TJ up to stock or better condition, gets it “done” if there is such a thing....and a knock starts. That is this guy.

What makes this story sickening is imagine a meticulous guy , with good equipment and resources, bringing every system in this TJ up to stock or better condition, gets it “done” if there is such a thing....and a knock starts. That is this guy.
Thanks buddy. I am pretty sad about it. You know I poured my guts into it.

Mine is a 99. Guess the Machine shop head rebuild will take care of it, if its an issue.
does yours have the 1330 head? I can't remember the exact year range, but they're thin in some places and prone to cracking. If you do have that head, I'd get the clearwater replacement since you're gonna be in that deep anyways.

And lord I hope not. I Just relayed this to the Mechanic, he'll see if he can identify it.
I don't need any more cost at this point.
Its shitty, really not trying to add to the pile. I'd just hate to see you have all this work done, then have the head crack...

the casting number is right below where the oil fill port is on the valve cover