What are my flexplate bolts hitting?

looks good šŸ‘.

when you had the torque converter out did you consider relocating the vent? I've read about it but couldn't convince myself it would be worth pulling the trans. between that and the dust shield interference im starting to consider it. 1 more good reason and itll be coming out.
I got a little nervous drilling holes into my transmission and potentially getting more crap floating around in my fluid so I skipped on the vent relocation. I figure being in Cali I will have a hard time actually finding a water crossing that would be deep enough to get this high on my Jeep. Or at least I hope not. šŸ˜¬

I wanted to wait a couple days to report back just to be sure I gave good information. Turns out pulling the transmission pointed out several other problems I would have likely overlooked. Here is a list of all the things that needed to be fixed. (other than those already mentioned)
1 Broken bellhousing bolt (extracted and replaced)
Torque converter lock solenoid wires shorted out (cut and soldered wires directly onto the solenoid)
Several transmission housing bolts loose ( checked and tightened all bolts in trans)
Leaking transmission pan and hose fittings (new gasket and sealant applied to fittings)
Transmission mount ruined from leaking transmission (replaced with new mount)

Conclusion.... The transmission is shifting very well. It responds to throttle input much better downshifting more precisely and the torque converter lock is more defined and seems to be locking and unlocking at just the right times. The higher stall converter is noticeable when sitting at a stop (takes less to hold the Jeep in a stand still), it slips more under acceleration and when climbing steep hills (on the pavement) but this, IMO, makes the acceleration feel much more smooth and it climbs the steep hills with ease. I am able to easily get to 65mph on a hill I would struggle to go 55mph on. (I drive this hill everyday on the way home) I love the new feel and I will be getting a deeper pan with a trans cooler just to make sure she doesn't have any overheating issues from the higher stall when wheeling.

Now that you provided a summary of the conditions I can see how it would be possible to experience that dust cover contact. Newton's law of motion can be a bitch.

Now that you provided a summary of the conditions I can see how it would be possible to experience that dust cover contact. Newton's law of motion can be a bitch.
Shit was moving everywhere... LOL. This poor jeep has had some serious neglect. Got a good deal, but she has needed a lot of love.

Wow! That sounds gnarlyā€¦ Rust? How has it been so far?
Although she is an east coast Jeep the frame took the brunt, the actual tub is decent. Only broke 5 of the 11 body mounts today. Maybe a bit of torque box repairs around 2 of the mounts but that's it.

Thanks for all the great information! I just discovered that my lower dust cover plate is missing... I've ordered a new plate but the bolts for the cover are are also missing. Can't seem to find the correct information on those, does anyone know the correct size bolts (3) for the lower dust cover?

Also, should I be concerned it was missing for an unknown amount of time? Anything I should check to make sure there are no issues?

1584381011786.png

Thanks for all the great information! I just discovered that my lower dust cover plate is missing... I've ordered a new plate but the bolts for the cover are are also missing. Can't seem to find the correct information on those, does anyone know the correct size bolts (3) for the lower dust cover?

Also, should I be concerned it was missing for an unknown amount of time? Anything I should check to make sure there are no issues?

View attachment 146456
Glad the information could help a fellow JeeperšŸ¤™šŸ»
I am not sure off the top of my head what size those cover bolts are, but I can get you the exact size when I get home today.
As for the cover being off, I would imagine if it hasn't caused an issue yet you're ok. But don't wait until you fill the bell housing with rocks and really have an issue, I would stick the cover back definitely before a trail run.

View attachment 146456
Looks like some rust eating your oil pan. I would give that a good cleaning and a protective coat of paint.

Glad the information could help a fellow JeeperšŸ¤™šŸ»
I am not sure off the top of my head what size those cover bolts are, but I can get you the exact size when I get home today.
As for the cover being off, I would imagine if it hasn't caused an issue yet you're ok. But don't wait until you fill the bell housing with rocks and really have an issue, I would stick the cover back definitely before a trail run.
You got lucky, I am doing a tummy tuck and pulled the cover to inspect my bolts so I happen to have these on my bench
5/16-18x1/2"
20200316_225525.jpg

20200316_225409.jpg

I have exactly the same problem.
The dust cover shield (not the inspection plate) in front of the flexplate is totally bent and the bolts from the flexplate/flywheel are hitting the cover shield. My question: I can't bend it back. Can I remove the dust cover without taking the whole transmission out?

Where can I buy the dust cover? I have not found anything at rockauto. Do you have a part number ?
sorry for my bad english - i am hungarian and write from Budapest.

FotoJet(1).jpg

Reactions: ColoJeep
I have exactly the same problem.
The dust cover shield (not the inspection plate) in front of the flexplate is totally bent and the bolts from the flexplate/flywheel are hitting the cover shield. My question: I can't bend it back. Can I remove the dust cover without taking the whole transmission out?

Where can I buy the dust cover? I have not found anything at rockauto. Do you have a part number ?
sorry for my bad english - i am hungarian and write from Budapest.

View attachment 441862

Bolts go through it in multiple places. No way out but to pull the trans. It sucks I know.

You'll have to grab one from Deadjeep or something. Come to think of it I ordered mine off eBay.

Your English is better than many Americans.

Screenshot_20230716-073035.png