What are my flexplate bolts hitting?

If there are any other pics you need just LMK. I still have the trans out and have a chance.
View attachment 120944
looks good đź‘Ť.

when you had the torque converter out did you consider relocating the vent? I've read about it but couldn't convince myself it would be worth pulling the trans. between that and the dust shield interference im starting to consider it. 1 more good reason and itll be coming out.

Reactions: U8MYDZT
The CR69 has a 2400-2600 stall and an Offset bolt pattern. The offset bolt pattern wasn't that big of a deal, it just offsets one flexplate bolt and the original hole is easily elongated to accommodate. I did find one torque converter that would have worked without the modification to the flexplate (Pro-King CR90) but it had a lower stall rating of 2000-2200. I just figured I might as well upgrade if I am in there.
Just curious is there a specific reason you are wanting the higher stall speed?

looks good đź‘Ť.

when you had the torque converter out did you consider relocating the vent? I've read about it but couldn't convince myself it would be worth pulling the trans. between that and the dust shield interference im starting to consider it. 1 more good reason and itll be coming out.
I need to look into the vent relocation. Almost forgot, thanks for reminding me!! I will definitely tackle this while its out!!

Just curious is there a specific reason you are wanting the higher stall speed?
Don't quote my logic here, but I think a higher stall will help my Jeep get closer to the power band if my tires are stuck (say in a rock garden) and provide more power to propel me forward.

plz educate me on stall speed...
Stall speed is the engine RPM when the torque converter forces the transmission to spin. Think standing burnouts with an old muscle car, when you hold the brake and gas at the same time the RPM of the engine when you get the tires to start spinning is the stall speed.

With a lower stall speed the engine may give up from lack of power before being able to actually get the tires to brake loose. The advantage to a higher stall is you have more available torque to get your tires to move because your are higher in your power band.

Reactions: reddvltj
Here's the stock power curve data for the 4.0 in the TJs, so you're definitely closer to the peak torque range! (y)

'96-'99 TJ: 181hp @ 4600rpm, 222lbft @ 2800rpm, redline 5300rpm
'00-'06 TJ: 190hp @ 4600rpm, 235lbft @ 3200rpm, redline 5300rpm

That's basically what we found on my son's XJ except your dust plate survived. Weird shit.
I can only think it had something to due with heat??? I really don't how the hell else this could happen without some physical impact.

Here's the stock power curve data for the 4.0 in the TJs, so you're definitely closer to the peak torque range! (y)

'96-'99 TJ: 181hp @ 4600rpm, 222lbft @ 2800rpm, redline 5300rpm
'00-'06 TJ: 190hp @ 4600rpm, 235lbft @ 3200rpm, redline 5300rpm
Fantastic info!! Thanks🤙

Reactions: reddvltj
I wanted to wait a couple days to report back just to be sure I gave good information. Turns out pulling the transmission pointed out several other problems I would have likely overlooked. Here is a list of all the things that needed to be fixed. (other than those already mentioned)
1 Broken bellhousing bolt (extracted and replaced)
Torque converter lock solenoid wires shorted out (cut and soldered wires directly onto the solenoid)
Several transmission housing bolts loose ( checked and tightened all bolts in trans)
Leaking transmission pan and hose fittings (new gasket and sealant applied to fittings)
Transmission mount ruined from leaking transmission (replaced with new mount)

Conclusion.... The transmission is shifting very well. It responds to throttle input much better downshifting more precisely and the torque converter lock is more defined and seems to be locking and unlocking at just the right times. The higher stall converter is noticeable when sitting at a stop (takes less to hold the Jeep in a stand still), it slips more under acceleration and when climbing steep hills (on the pavement) but this, IMO, makes the acceleration feel much more smooth and it climbs the steep hills with ease. I am able to easily get to 65mph on a hill I would struggle to go 55mph on. (I drive this hill everyday on the way home) I love the new feel and I will be getting a deeper pan with a trans cooler just to make sure she doesn't have any overheating issues from the higher stall when wheeling.