What are the pros and cons of running a locker in your daily driver?

THESpottedSeaBass

What are the pros and cons of running a locker in your daily? I was looking into a USA Standard Spartan Locker for Dana 30 Differential. I've never run anything like this so any info would be great.

Absolutely NO cons whatsoever if it's a selectable locker. One more reason I highly suggest people spend a little extra and get selectable lockers.

I run selectable e-lockers in the JKU and factory air-lockers in the LJ .. 0 issues or cons since they only get turned on when doing serious off-roading.

Unless you live in a low traction environment, the daily driver portion of the question is mostly irrelevant. Lockers aren’t used on the day-to-day typically (there are exceptions in low traction cases).

However I think the question is a little conflicted as there are different types of lockers. For a daily, you most likely want selectable lockers - at least in the rear (meaning you can opt into using them). Compare that to a lunchbox locker where it only locks when force is applied (often used on trail only rigs or only in the front).

Long story short, lockers on a daily are fine and great for the right scenarios. But I wouldn’t want anything but selectable for my daily, possibly a lunchbox for the front if that’s all that is available.

What are the pros and cons of running a locker in your daily? I was looking into a USA Standard Spartan Locker for Dana 30 Differential. I've never run anything like this so any info would be great.
That front mounted automatic lunchbox locker would be fine until you need to engage 4x4 during your New England winters after they cover the streets with snow and ice. At that point it would cause steering issues. I'd go strictly with a selectable locker if I had to drive on icy or snow covered streets much. A selectable locker means you can lock or unlock it by a switch or lever as conditions dictate.

Reactions: rasband
I've been reading that a lunchbox locker like the Spartan will make the Jeep drive really wild when your on ice, snow or slick roads.
As you can see above, most guys will tell you to get an e_locker of some kind if you drive snowy or icy roads at all.

The Spartan will click in a Dana 30 when you turn. It is something people typically get used to. If you get a PowerTrax No Slip, it will cost about $150 more, but will not click. If you drive on snow and ice in 4wd it will cause understeer. A selectable woudl be a better choice in those environments. Otherwise, there are no cons. As far as pros, they are a locker, enough said.

I've been reading that a lunchbox locker like the Spartan will make the Jeep drive really wild when your on ice, snow or slick roads.
As you can see above, most guys will tell you to get an e_locker of some kind if you drive snowy or icy roads at all.
FYI, I've been fine with my Lunchbox up front around here so far. The biggest issues I've had are when I've got my rear locker on too and it pushes me. Some of the offroad trails are near edges, you know what I'm talking about. It can be a little sketchy at times.

I would recommend only a selectable locker if you DD in winter conditions. Since you are asking I think it's safe to assume you don't have any experience driving with any type of locked axle. So sticking with a selectable, while costing more up front, will help ensure you don't end up in a ditch, or worse when in icy or slick conditions. If you can safely say you will never need to be on the road in the winter then the side effects of a lunchbox locker would be minimal.

Ok, looks like I have an Idea of what I should look for. What about wear and tear? Are they more or less than traditional spider gears? How long will a locker last in comparison to spider gears? I'm pretty much almost sold but id like a little more info on the minutia of the locker as compared to spider gears.

Wear of the spider gears is no more of a concern with a selectable locker than it is with the factory open differential.

Rubicon's came stock with lockers from the factory. Millions of cumulative miles later, I'd be willing to bet hardly any of them were ever actually used.

That said, there's gotta be someone out there who drives around with lockers engaged on the street doing 4 wheel burnouts.

I have Detroit autos front and rear. No real issues on pavement for me. A little chirp here and there. I live in Ga do ice not a big deal maybe a day or two a year. I would be way careful if it were snow and ice alot and would of went with selectable.