What are these called?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I did a valve cover gasket replacement and three of the retainers circled in red were missing, replaced by washers. What are these things called, so I can narrow my search down and get the correct part?

Valve Cover.jpg

Heat is all I'd worry about, I have 3D printed bushings on my seats and they take about a million times more stress than the few foot pounds of force those valve cover things take.
That may be...but the only way those bushings can work is by provided a hard, non-compressible surface for the bolt to generate a load against. If the plastic continues to yield before you hit your target torque, the gap is going to continue to close. In this instance the limiting device is probably there to prevent squeezing the gasket out the side of the valve cover or bending the valve cover, both of which issues will generate leaks.

Its the same concept as the body mounts. There is a steel sleeve in the mount, so when the body bolt is properly torqued, the steel sleeve nets out on the steel upper portion of the mount which creates a solid connection and generates some stretch in the bolt. This prevents the rubber mounts from squeezing out and not properly supporting the body.

Reactions: Blondie70