What are you using for on-board air?

I’m using the ARB dual compressor mounted on a M.O.R.E under hood mount. It runs my lockers and fills my 36” tires quick. Can run tools but I have not used it for that yet. I’m happy with it. I got it on a huge discount due to open box and missing the paperwork. But I’m happy with it. I was using the single ARB compressor double duty and this one airs up my tires so much faster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9AXR8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have a C02 tank in my Toyota, decided to buy the above for the Jeep, just to have the flexibility. IMO CO2 is the way to go, its simple, reliable and fast. Here's the downsides:
-Most everyone else has an air pump, so you;ll be waiting on them anyway.
-You'll be "lending" your CO2 hose out a fair amount when someone's pump breaks, you want to speed things up etc.

HTH

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I’m using the ARB dual compressor mounted on a M.O.R.E under hood mount. It runs my lockers and fills my 36” tires quick. Can run tools but I have not used it for that yet. I’m happy with it. I got it on a huge discount due to open box and missing the paperwork. But I’m happy with it. I was using the single ARB compressor double duty and this one airs up my tires so much faster.
Could you post a couple of pics of your set up? I have the ARB dual compressor also. Was looking at the M.O.R.E. mount but haven’t seen any pics of how it looks mounted or where it mounts.

What is the M.O.R.E. mount?
https://www.mountainoffroad.com/jee...mounts/arb-air-compressor-mount-tj-99-06.html
E622F796-4516-4782-B3A2-49ADB768EAA2.png

Reactions: lindsey97
Mountain Off Road Enterprises it is a mount. That above pic is good. It mounts on two head studs and one hole in the intake. I will post pics once I get the jeep back from the paint shop. I have an extra MORE mount if anyone wants one. I tried to use it on my daughters 4.0 grand Cherokee but there was not enough clearance with the hood on that Jeep.

Mountain Off Road Enterprises it is a mount. That above pic is good. It mounts on two head studs and one hole in the intake. I will post pics once I get the jeep back from the paint shop. I have an extra MORE mount if anyone wants one. I tried to use it on my daughters 4.0 grand Cherokee but there was not enough clearance with the hood on that Jeep.

How much do you want for it? I might be interested. Feel free to pm me

1670511719904.png

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Plumbing-Installation/2848-20

Has anyone used the Milwaukee tire inflator?

It seems like it could be the perfect compromise since you can leave it at home/trailer/camp when you don't plan to use it. But still have "unlimited" air back at home/trailer/camp so long as you can charge the batteries. And someplace like Moab you can just throw it in the back to air up before hitting the road between trails.

Obviously slower than a CO2 bottle, but more portable than a mounted compressor?

• 3 minutes to go from 12psi to 26psi with a 35" tire on 17" rims.
  • 4 minutes to go from 8psi to 25psi with a 37" tire on 17" rims.
(All very consistent times +/- 15 seconds.)

That beats gas station air by a long shot! But falls short of the times provided by belt driven compressors and CO2 by 3-4x. I didn't time my ARBs (if somebody else has this info, post it up).

There's no deflate functionality and sometimes it'll over inflate the tire by a few PSI. However, this seems to be an issue only with lower target PSI like we have for our Jeeps. I filled my truck tires from 60psi to 75psi and it was accurate each time. Honestly not a huge problem since this is also a common problem with filling manually and only takes an additional moment to let a little air out.

Battery life is impressive. My test wasn't super technical, but starting with a full 12ah high output battery it only used 1 indicator bar after all of the Jeep tires and truck tires.

If it wasn't for the ability to tuck ARB compressors into tight corners of otherwise unused space under the hood or behind seats, the side of this inflator would be impressive.

The best use case i can think of would be for shop use when you can set it and forget it while you're doing something else like an oil change or being portable enough to carry out into the yard. And honestly even I've neglected filling tires because I don't want to lay a hose out and mess around with that over a few measly PSI.

As far as my desired uses of while on the road for my truck and trailer, and throwing in the Jeeps for airing up between trails, I think it might work very well and might replace the ARB compressors. I also don't mind visiting for a few minutes while airing up after a hard trail so I'm unlikely to want the speed of CO2. Additionally I can walk around and inspect my Jeep while each tire fills — something I can't do with CO2 or an ARB, so total time spent post trail rides may be similar to those faster air up options. Although, I'm not ready to pull the ARBs until the Milwaukee inflator proves itself a few more times.

20221210_165152.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how to add a link, but I use one I found at Home Depot. Plugs into your power accessory. I also found a extension cord to connect to the battery if needed. You can set it to the desired tire pressure and it shuts off automatically. Fits in a tool bag nicely.

I don't know how to add a link, but I use one I found at Home Depot. Plugs into your power accessory. I also found a extension cord to connect to the battery if needed. You can set it to the desired tire pressure and it shuts off automatically. Fits in a tool bag nicely.
Air compressors that plug into the power accessory receptacle are low powered devices that take way too long to air up four tires that were aired down for offroading. The last time I used one of those was in 2000 and it took 45 minutes to refill my four then-smallish 32" tires.

• USA Proud
Reactions: MichaelGH and JMT
@toximus how do you think the Milwaukee 18v inflator would do seating a bead?

There is a continuous setting.

If it's a tire you can seat with an ARB I think it'd be similar (so for reseating a bead on the trail I think you'd be just fine), but for installing a tricky new tire you will probably be better off buying a bead blaster.

Reactions: Mike_H
There is a continuous setting.

If it's a tire you can seat with an ARB I think it'd be similar (so for reseating a bead on the trail I think you'd be just fine), but for installing a tricky new tire you will probably be better off buying a bead blaster.

I’ve been on the fence about buying one of these since they came out. I probably should, simply to throw in the motorhome, just in case. The fact that it can work with the Jeep is an added bonus

Reactions: RINC
Air compressors that plug into the power accessory receptacle are low powered devices that take way too long to air up four tires that were aired down for offroading. The last time I used one of those was in 2000 and it took 45 minutes to refill my four then-smallish 32" tires.

This one takes 10 minutes to air up my stock 29" tires. When I move up to 32" tires, I will probably pick up a Viair system or similar.