What are you using for on-board air?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I want to hook up an on-board air system. Something that takes up a minimal amount of space but can fill 35" tires in as little time as possible.

I was thinking about this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050DI9YQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's just a bit expensive as you can see (not that that's a total deal breaker), so I just wanted to see what else was out there.

Have you considered buying just an air tank that would be enough for your tires for a single use air-up but would be refillable? I think @ac_ has this setup. I've been considering this too, but I have a Viair 88p right now which works great for my 31's.

Reactions: TJ2, Chris and ac_
Reactions: FireJeep and EJD
Reactions: ac_
713IN%2BoyTsL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Where are you going to mount the tank? Also, why have the tank at all? Do you plan on using air tools and such?

Just curious as to what the benefits of having an air storage tank would be.
I randomly saw this today too on youtube, it was in my recommended videos, and thought you might check it out!

I was impressed by the york when I saw/used it. Filled my 35" tire up to 50 psi in maybe 20 sec? Puts out a ton of air, a lot more than I ever thought. If I had an AC set up I would definitely consider it. I know one person who has the same ARB compressor in your link, its a tight fit but he got it underneath his ABS system. He was happy with it last I chatted with him. I run the smaller ARB compressor for my lockers and it sits on the empty tray where my ABS would be if I had it. As for tires, I have C02. It costs $20 to fill and I fill it maybe 2-3 times a summer.

IMG_2439[1].JPG

20160916_152711.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I randomly saw this today too on youtube, it was in my recommended videos, and thought you might check it out!

Wow... this totally makes me consider the power tank as a viable option. Where would I mount this thing though, that's the real question.

Reactions: EJD
Power tanks are awesome. I friend of mine had one mounted on the roll-bar driver side if I remember. That thing would inflate the tires fast as hell

I'm trying to figure out where I can mount it in my TJ and still have the back seat be of use (since we use it with our kids).

I can't seem to find any photos of them mounted in TJs. I'm worried if were mounted to the roll bar, it would get in the way of the kids in the back seat.

This is what I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC42RG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think @bobthetj03 has what you are suggesting.

This is my setup.
P1060884.JPG

It's a 5lb cylinder setup by IAS. Sadly, IAS went out of business, but it wouldn't be that difficult to source a 150psi. regulator and air hose, then go to any welding supply and pick up a 5 or 10 lb. cylinder. Mine mounts on the right side of the tub behind the rear seat via some Quick Fists and a plate I fabbed. I installed a couple of nutserts in the side of the tub and mounted the plate there.
P1060891.JPG

I like the 5lb. cylinder size because it fits flush just below tub height, so I can still put my Duster tonneau on during summer months. That 5 lb. cylinder will air up all 4 of my 33's from 14lbs. to 26lbs. 5 times. Fill up costs about $20.

A CO2 tank or an engine driven compressor such as a York would be the fastest. Downsides are the space taken up by a CO2 tank with the ongoing cost of refills and the complexity of rigging the York.

Air tanks are unnecessary for onboard air unless one needs stored compressed air to operate lockers or an air horn. Almost all air tools require an air storage tank far too large to fit in a jeep and there are lithium battery powered tools that can do most trail jobs just as well. As far as air storage for tires is concerned, a 2 gal. tank won't hold enough compressed air to air up a 35" tire and larger tanks are impractical, so why bother if the only purpose of the onboard air system is to fill tires?

Although not as fast as CO2, an engine driven compressor or the $500 ARB "twin" 12v unit, I am completely satisfied with my K.I.S.S. onboard air system driven by a Viair 400H compressor (Same compressor as in the 400P and 400P-automatic portable kits). It is simple, out of the way, less than $200 for everything needed with no ongoing costs, and I can air up my 35's and usually someone else's as well before the guys with Viair 88P and other small compressors have finished airing up 33's.

compressor-installation-jpg.jpg

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-simple-onboard-air-for-your-tj-lj-viair-400h.10235/

I'm trying to figure out where I can mount it in my TJ and still have the back seat be of use (since we use it with our kids).

I can't seem to find any photos of them mounted in TJs. I'm worried if were mounted to the roll bar, it would get in the way of the kids in the back seat.
This is how my 10 lb. CO2 tank is mounted Chris. That's a Power Tank BKT-2260 holder I found in Amazon that was listed as a 'scratch and dent' but it was perfect, not a single scratch or a dent at all. That extra black object around the top of the tank and rollcage is a bike lock.

Tank.jpg
Holder-backside.jpg

Reactions: EJD and Chris