What are your 2021 TJ Resolutions

Just noticed Jacksonville FL in your Profile, that's where we plan to move to. Is there any decent wheeling in Florida that doesn't involve mud or the need to wrestle alligators? In other words, what's the Jeep scene like there? In my three trips there all the Jeeps seem to be stock or barely lifted. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one there with even 35's.
No. You need North Ga, SC,NCfor that. No mud? forgettaboutit. We are built on a mud pit. Leave your white sneakers in Fla.

Just noticed Jacksonville FL in your Profile, that's where we plan to move to. Is there any decent wheeling in Florida that doesn't involve mud or the need to wrestle alligators? In other words, what's the Jeep scene like there? In my three trips there all the Jeeps seem to be stock or barely lifted. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one there with even 35's.
I live just South of Jacksonville. There’s no shortage of mud. A lot of what I do is look for heavily overgrown fire access roads in the woods. As far as actual trails there’s offroad parks in southern FL, the Ocala national forest, and an off-road Park in Ocala (center of the state) that has rock crawling and forest trails. There is off-roading to do but most of it is unofficial. Get connected with more serious off-roaders and they will point out the best hidden places.

My goals are to get parts installed that I already have, nothing big but some have been sitting around for a few months.

-Install Morryde to get my spare out of the back
-Get seat cover for back seat so the pooch can ride with us
-Get Savvy rear UCAs installed
-Fix broken jounce bumper/measure for bumpstops and new shocks
-Maybe buy new shocks if funds allow
-Got a tablet for Christmas so I want to figure out a mounting setup for it in the Jeep

Last but not least, just get out and wheel more. I joined a new very active club at the end of the year last year after not being able to make it out hardly at all with my usual crowd during most of the wheeling season. Looking forward to getting out a lot with them this year, making some new friends and using my Jeep for what it's intended for.

Reactions: John Cooper
My resolution is to improve my driving skills and confidence offroad.

@Jerry Bransford Good luck in Florida. Welcome to humidity 24/7, mud, bugs, and the infamous "Florida Man" syndrome. Personally, here is my list of places I would never move: South of the Mason-Dixon line, & anywhere in the vicinity of North Jersey / NYC.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My resolution is to improve my driving skills and confidence offroad.

@Jerry Bransford Good luck in Florida. Welcome to humidity 24/7, mud, bugs, and the infamous "Florida Man" syndrome. Personally, here is my list of places I would never move: South of the Mason-Dixon line, & anywhere in the vicinity of North Jersey / NYC.
I agree on NYC , but I recently saw a video with the adirondacks around Whitehall ,NY and was astounded at the beauty.

People generally don’t travel “up north” to retire. It’s “down south.”

property values make retirement money go further, the hospitality is legendary, winters mild and summers long and beautiful.

Jerry’s biggest disappointment with Florida’s may be that it’s so flat, and essentially trails are sandy.

florida has some fascinating wildlife and geography, the Everglades, Disney and so much more.

Jerry will be fine any where he goes, but he will need to find a TVA Dam tail race to see rocks like he’s used to wheeling ....but he’s close enough to Alabama and Georgia to find some great fun and good folks.

Last edited:
@AndyG ADK is really beautiful. New York is really split into 2. You've got Metro NYC and Long Island then you have the rest of the state. Much of the state is full of old time farms and/or forests. We've vacationed on Saranac Lake and been to Lake Placid for hockey a few times.

Reactions: AndyG
@AndyG ADK is really beautiful. New York is really split into 2. You've got Metro NYC and Long Island then you have the rest of the state. Much of the state is full of old time farms and/or forests. We've vacationed on Saranac Lake and been to Lake Placid for hockey a few times.
The disparity of New York City and upper New York amazes me. I went to Jersey and NYC once, I was glad to get out alive. I’d never heard profanity used like they do. I was amazed. I figured a killing was about to happen!

Meh... Building for 33's isn't all that much different than for 35's. If it's done right, you just need the extra height to clear bigger tires. I still feel like I need a brake upgrade. I still need gearing, still need to upgrade steering, etc.
I follow you....but I’m going from what he said about m”staying “ with 33’s, so I’m thinking he spent money to get there ...now it’s tires, brakes, another regear,steering.

Building from scratch you have a point.

I follow you....but I’m going from what he said about m”staying “ with 33’s, so I’m thinking he spent money to get there ...now it’s tires, brakes, another regear,steering.

Building from scratch you have a point.
Or you can end up like me, trusting the PO(my brother in law) yep he built for 33's half way, cheap 4" lift and no regear, luckily I got it cheap enough I can finish/redo what it needs and still not be in it deep.

This year I will finally replace the Dana 35 with a 44 I purchased last summer. I’ll also replace the leaking exhaust manifold gasket, and finish installing interior lights. There’s a good chance I’ll install a subwoofer and maybe if the good Lord blesses me with a little more spare time, I’d like to refurbish my dash and doors. 🤞

Reactions: John Cooper
This is more of a personal resolution than New Years. I'd like to get back to basics. Two years ago I spotted for a friend who had a TJ on 31" tires. It was a bit of a challenge, but we ran him trough the same trails as those of us on 35" tires were running. Tire placement, driver skill, and a willingness to test metal were essential.

In the end, many of us could get by with less lift and money spent, if we built and drove smarter. That is my goal for this year. For God's sake, they fought and won a war with Jeeps on tires smaller than 31"! 🇺🇲
I think about this a lot when I see people like Stan Fuller tackling tough trails in Moab in nearly stock flatfenders.

Reactions: Irun