What brand of tools do you recommend?

10yrs ago I would’ve said Craftsman unless you wanted to spend an arm and a leg on Snap-On. Nowadays, I buy lots of stuff from Harbor Freight. My favorite extendable 1/2” ratchet that’s saved me on multiple occasions, my impact sockets, regular wrenches etc. Their stores are almost everywhere now which makes getting replacements very easy and if they break, I don’t feel a bit bad about it. Craftsman is not the same quality they used to be and neither is their customer service. I try to preserve the Craftsman tools I still have because I don’t want the modern replacements. My home toolbox is stocked with nothing but Craftsman tools. While my to-go toolbox is a 100pc Stanley set that I got from Walmart for $70 and is the perfect size to fit in my TJ for road trips.

I have mostly old, seventies old, Craftsmen, with a bunch of SK, Snap-On, Proto, and Williams thrown in. I got some really old farm equipment wrenches from both my grandfathers. And it looks like I’ll end up with my Dads’ boxes of the fifties version of the above.
For the last two decades, I have wrenched on European railroad equipment and have acquired a lot Beta and Facom tools. Those aren’t to be sneezed at.
But garage sales are my choice for tools nowadays, unless I need something I don’t have right away, which isn’t often.
Agreed on the Facom tools. I have a number of friends in Europe that use them and love them.

Reactions: Tob
Snap-On, Wright, SK, Knipex, Mayhew, and Klein to name a few. Williams US made are okay as well.

I think you guys mentioning these companies are missing the point though. A college guy can't afford a $150 screwdriver. Snap-On makes the best tools but they are stupid expensive. Sometimes you gotta buy a bologna sandwich because the lobster roll is out of reach.

I've been wrenching for over 30 years, listing my credentials means I'm probably about to say something ridiculous. Tools are like lift kits. There is really good stuff which most of us can't afford and don't need. There are a few sets that get it mostly right but the best path for most is to piece it together. Here are a few really nice tools I've found over the years that can save you some money.

15899853142570.jpg

These are straight out of my trail toolbox, the stuff I use for everything, from left to right:
- HF Star drive set 67914, 91238. I bought the SK Tools T55 extra and it's the only bit that has twisted slightly.
- HF Impact adapter set (just one shown, I carry three from the set) 67937, 62140 Lets you carry only 3/8" ratchet and 1/2" breaker bar and do almost everything.
- HF 3/8" Impact extension set (one shown, I carry all of them) 67926, 2762 High quality, you can never have too many.
- Gearwrench ratcheting combination (one again but I have 16 and carry maybe 8 key sizes), many kits are available but you can get a good set SAE/Metric set for under $100, cost more than HF but more compact, stronger and better action. A real time saver, especially doing brakes.
- HF Adjustable wrench set (I only carry the 8" shown but use them all) 903, 69427, 60690, 63715 These work great, sharp edges and good steel.
- HF 3/8" Composite Tear Drop Ratchet 62318, at $16 it is my favorite hand tool, get one, you will like it.

I didn't mention them because I don't carry them in my trail toolbox but the HF smooth combination wrenches and screwdrivers are also good stuff. I also have the HF plain 1/2" breaker bar, it works and unlike my Craftsman I haven't had to replace it yet. I haven't had to make use of the lifetime warranty on any of these specific Pittsburgh tools and you could say I've tried.

I have one or two snap-on tools. Nobody else makes a triple square bit that lasts and I've tried allot of them.

Reactions: chad and Tob
The title is what brand tools do you recommend. I recommend buying the very best. Especially to a young person who may use them for the next 50 years. When I was poor as a church mouse, I still bought Snap-On and SK. I am still using them 43 years later.

I'll be that guy and also mention ratchets are also not designed to loosen stuck nuts and bolts. Even a cheaper ratchet will last longer if used properly. Using one to break a rusted nut loose will do nothing but shorten the life of it. It's what breaker bars are for.

But high end quality tools just feel better, more precise, etc. Cheap tools get the job done but using good stuff almost makes you want to find more to fix.

Reactions: Tob and Flivver250
While I agree, Snap On is pricey, for ratchets and sockets the flank drive is unbeatable. I bought mine in 1970 and they are still like new, making them a great buy. Just like a Wrangler is more expensive than a Sidekick.... sometimes you get what you pay for.

The flank drive will save your knuckles.

conventional-12-point (Small).jpg

I've been really happy with my Kobalt tool's from Lowes, I usually buy a set when they go on a sale which seems to rotate each month.

The title is what brand tools do you recommend. I recommend buying the very best. Especially to a young person who may use them for the next 50 years. When I was poor as a church mouse, I still bought Snap-On and SK. I am still using them 43 years later.

The OP also states he's not interested in professional grade tools.

Where can I find reasonable quality?

Keep in mind, I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for professional grade stuff like Snap-on, but I'd like to build my collection with tools that I can rely on, and tools that will last. What's your recommendation?

I agree that "buy it once" makes a lot of sense but within reason. Snap-On are professional grade tools. Unless you're a professional you don't need a $520 - 10 piece wrench set. I wouldn't go out and spend $2500 on a professional table saw to fix my deck. I wouldn't buy a professional paint sprayer to paint my bedroom. If you're like my grandfather and spend the vast majority of your time with grease under your fingernails, it makes a ton of sense. If you're a weekend wrencher like me...I don't think the price point for Snap-On is a reasonable purchase.

I agree that "buy it once" makes a lot of sense but within reason. Snap-On are professional grade tools. Unless you're a professional you don't need a $520 - 10 piece wrench set. I wouldn't go out and spend $2500 on a professional table saw to fix my deck. I wouldn't buy a professional paint sprayer to paint my bedroom. If you're like my grandfather and spend the vast majority of your time with grease under your fingernails, it makes a ton of sense. If you're a weekend wrencher like me...I don't think the price point for Snap-On is a reasonable purchase.
I did buy the professional paint sprayer, it’s worth it. Cheap ones are way more work.

For most dumb tools HF is good and most wont know the difference.

For gas or electric, you get what you pay for. My professional series Stihl chainsaw is a joy to run. I wouldn’t pick HF electrics over Milwaukee or Dewalt.

This is a good point. The lifetime warranties on all the cheap brands is fine and dandy until it fails at the wrong time and the wrong place. I'd rather have something I can rely on, up to a certain price point...

I think this hits the nail on the head. Professional grade tools make sense for someone who uses them every day for their job, but for "weekend wrenchers", as you put it, I think professional grade tools are not the best investment.

A lot of my tools are Craftsman that are 10 years old or so and have held up pretty well. Only time I've broke them was from misuse. Some of my favorite are ones given to me from my grandpa and dad. Blue Point, Proto, Williams, to name a few. They just feel right in my hands, tough as all hell too. Farm I used to work for had a lot of SK, they were very dependable as well I just didn't care for their ratchets as much. Also have 3 sets of Gear Wrench all about 10 years old that are holding up well.

This is a good point. The lifetime warranties on all the cheap brands is fine and dandy until it fails at the wrong time and the wrong place. I'd rather have something I can rely on, up to a certain price point...
The stuff I mentioned is quality gear, I hope you don't see them as a compromise. I got the HF ratchet as a joke just because I saw a test that showed it performed pretty similar to the snap-on it was a clone of. When I started using it I realized it was a quality tool. Now their electric stuff, not so much, but that's why I listed specific things that I beat on regularly that work well.

15900009904590.jpg

This is a replacement Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar on the bottom that sits unused in my toolbox. The one that broke was identical, the ears tore right off. The HF bar above did the job and I still use it today. The ears are half the size and held up better. It also has a smooth finish so it cleans up quick. With video reviews and testing people are starting to realize that some of the brand names aren't all they are cracked up to be. You can't just say an old Craftsman tool is great when it breaks with less applied force. There are tons of tests like this one floating around.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1406-half-inch-ratchet-shootout/

You can see the cheap HF does just fine and the old Craftsman is less than half as strong. For me a broken hand tool often means some sort of injury. I wouldn't recommend anything I thought was risky or that you couldn't rely on.