What brand of tools do you recommend?

So right now I have a decent-sized socket set from Stanley that I bought for working on my Jeep. Being a college student at home in between semesters, I mostly use my own tools and borrow what I need from my dad when I don't have it. I'd like to grow my own collection and not have to borrow quite as much.

The problem is, I'm really fed up with the lack of quality in the Stanley set, but I don't know which brand I should go with. It seems like more and more trusted brands have outsourced production to China and seen a big drop in quality. Where can I find reasonable quality?

Keep in mind, I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for professional grade stuff like Snap-on, but I'd like to build my collection with tools that I can rely on, and tools that will last. What's your recommendation?

I have been in this field for 21 years. I know I have seen others here that have been at it longer. I will answer solely on the College student basis you asked. If sears stores and craftsman were still more prevalent and USA made, that would have been your answer from me.

I will be another saying, cruise for Used USA tools if possible. Be crafty, we know your funds will be limited so stretch them. Be the one finding the garage sales or pawn shop steals or even FB marketplace/craigslist. If you must buy new, I can say I would scope those Icon tools at HF and READ the warranty and be careful, I don't have any so I have no reference on quality. They are probably fine and a good bang for the buck. Will the brand be around for a while? I don't know.

Find the person cutting their throat on price not yours,for used deals and swing in there and buy them.

I just glanced at FB marketplace on my phone at lunch. If I had 100$ I would have some sweet Large USA made craftsman wrenches and socket set today.

So right now I have a decent-sized socket set from Stanley that I bought for working on my Jeep. Being a college student at home in between semesters, I mostly use my own tools and borrow what I need from my dad when I don't have it. I'd like to grow my own collection and not have to borrow quite as much.

The problem is, I'm really fed up with the lack of quality in the Stanley set, but I don't know which brand I should go with. It seems like more and more trusted brands have outsourced production to China and seen a big drop in quality. Where can I find reasonable quality?

Keep in mind, I'm on a budget, so I'm not looking for professional grade stuff like Snap-on, but I'd like to build my collection with tools that I can rely on, and tools that will last. What's your recommendation?
I think Stanley brand tools are okay.
My recommendations:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2555-22https://capritools.com/shop/1-2-master-impact-socket-set-10-27-mm-metric/https://capritools.com/shop/shallow-impact-sockets-6-point-sae/ 11/16ths
At some point you will also need 28mm and 32mm impact sockets.
I prefer friction ring over pin detent for impact extensions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZHFA5E/?tag=wranglerorg-20
You absolutely need a torque wrench for lug nuts.

Be crafty, we know your funds will be limited so stretch them. Be the one finding the garage sales or pawn shop steals or even FB marketplace/craigslist.
Best advice ^^^^ shop used. Most hand tools the were good 50 years ago are just as good today. Find a retired mechanic and you'll likely get the deal of a lifetime if he likes you.

Honestly I would say what ever might be the easiest to warranty. I myself have so many different brands of tools I will not list, (probably like most of us) some bought just last week, some from my grand father and dad. When I was working in shops I did buy most Snap-On and Matco. Now I have to mail it in or chase down a truck to warranty and that just sucks. Stuff from a local part store or hardware store that will back there stuff to me is awesome.
There was an Ace hardware down the road from the first shop I worked in. Bought a lot of tools from them. Couldn’t afford to buy off the truck and I still made some good money with those tools. Now my kids use them.
Again like everyone did say offer-up, Craigslist or even garage sales are great places to look if you are patient.

Ps it’s really hard to beat a snap on ratchet, just pony up and get it, nothing worse then a shitty ratchet!
@J R Same! When I worked at a dealer I bought all Snap-on and some Matco and Cornwall. I hate having to chase down trucks for repairs/replacements. I do love having a quality set of tools though....

Best advice ^^^^ shop used. Most hand tools the were good 50 years ago are just as good today. Find a retired mechanic and you'll likely get the deal of a lifetime if he likes you.
I did just that. Bought upper and lower rollaway/box set-up that was absolutely filled with 1960's Indestro tools, plus a lot of specialty tools, and a vintage drill press, all for $500. Have used them for the last fifteen years, or so.

I’ve been working on cars professionally for about 10 years. I have sockets from OTC, Craftsman, Snap-On, VIM tools, Bluepoint, and even some Ironman from Northern tools. Probably even others. I use my sockets a lot and I can honestly say that they all hold up pretty similarly. I am not a fan of Snap-On chrome sockets though. Overpriced junk in my opinion. (Except the swivel sockets, those have held up great).

I like my Matco ratchet the best as the locking flex head design is superior to Snap Ons in my opinion.

I use all Milwaukee fuel lithium tools for electric and Ingersol Rand for my air tools.

There is definitely no best company and I feel bad for people who spend every penny on the tool truck.

My top drawer of go to’s, before I finished organizing

64CB007E-D324-409D-97D9-9BE5F63B3CAC.jpeg

I'm using the same early 90s era Craftsmen sockets my dad bought me when I was 10-11 years old. Ruin my sentimentality! :)

Snap-on left, Craftsmen right.

IMG_20200520_191716.jpg

The difference is the hex is not cut to the full depth which allows for the nut to be held near the end which works well if you're reaching into an area.

All of my old USA Craftsmen sockets are shallows so I don't know how they made them at that time.

Reactions: Daryl

View attachment 162996

The difference is the hex is not cut to the full depth which allows for the nut to be held near the end which works well if you're reaching into an area.

All of my old USA Craftsmen sockets are shallows so I don't know how they made them at that time.
oh right on, Craftsman went with a flank drive too. I think when I bought mine Snap On had a patent on the design. But moving the pressure from the corner of the nut to the flat is what saves knuckles.

View attachment 162996

Anyone who has wrenched for a living knows how valuable seemingly unknown little things like this are.

Edit: I’ll post it here before the haters respond. We all have used the wadded up paper trick. 😉

I think it comes down to how often you use them. My hand tools are all Mac & Snap-On, air tools are IR, though I purchased all of them when I was fixing cars every day for a living. I don't know if I'd be keen on spending $300 + for a set of combo wrenches if I was only using them a few times a month like I do now. Now if I need some one-off hand tool I usually just go with Stanley or Craftsman.

If you're just starting out and learning to tinker I'd go with a weekend warrior set - they get the job just fine. After a while of doing it you'll figure out what sucks and maybe you can upgrade it at that time.

I will tell you this, the Snap-On open end wrenches are amazing. I've literally done a pullup before on a suspension bolt with one of those and not had it round out.

A few years ago I had an insurance claim for a stolen watch, they wanted a picture of me wearing it. Jump forward to my contractors insurance which covers my tools. There is no way I can "list" every tool and remain sane so I laid out every tool I have and photoed them. Now if someone steals a box, or the whole trailer. I just look at the pictures and start making the list.

Took 33 pictures to get it all. But it only took a few hours. I highly recommend doing it.

Looking at this picture, some of those tools were my Dads and are 80 years old. When buying tools remember they might last a lifetime and if they have quality you will love using them. If they are cheap you might hate wrenching.

I bought that toolbox for Fathers Day in 1970 for my Dad, it has no quality but 50 years later....

DSCN1248.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been working on cars professionally for about 10 years. I have sockets from OTC, Craftsman, Snap-On, VIM tools, Bluepoint, and even some Ironman from Northern tools. Probably even others. I use my sockets a lot and I can honestly say that they all hold up pretty similarly. I am not a fan of Snap-On chrome sockets though. Overpriced junk in my opinion. (Except the swivel sockets, those have held up great).

I like my Matco ratchet the best as the locking flex head design is superior to Snap Ons in my opinion.

I use all Milwaukee fuel lithium tools for electric and Ingersol Rand for my air tools.

There is definitely no best company and I feel bad for people who spend every penny on the tool truck.

My top drawer of go to’s, before I finished organizing

View attachment 162993
This makes me feel inadequate.

A few years ago I had an insurance claim for a stolen watch, they wanted a picture of me wearing it. Jump forward to my contractors insurance which covers my tools. There is no way I can "list" every tool and remain sane so I laid out every tool I have and photoed them. Now if someone steals a box, or the whole trailer. I just look at the pictures and start making the list.

Took 33 pictures to get it all. But it only took a few hours. I highly recommend doing it.

View attachment 163004

I have the same, as well as every receipt from Snap-on, Craftsman, Mac, Matco, or Cornwell.

Looking at this picture, some of those tools were my Dads and are 80 years old. When buying tools remember they might last a lifetime and if they have quality you will love using them. If they are cheap you might hate wrenching.

I bought that toolbox for Fathers Day in 1970 for my Dad, it has no quality but 50 years later....

View attachment 163004
i really should do this. Good idea.