What brand of tools do you recommend?

raw.png

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
At home almost all my sockets and wrenches are either Snap-On or Wright. I'd say both are about equal in strength and quality. Here in Dubai, I cut some corners by buying Williams US made sockets. I have Wright wrenches and my ratchets are SK and Williams. I was reinstalling a JK drive shaft and was just installing, not tightening the 8mm bolts with a 6" flex head 3/8 ratchet and my 8mm Williams socket split like it was made out of a beer can. The Williams sockets are about 50% cheaper than SK or Wright. The first thing I thought of, I should have bought Wright. Now these Williams have been good sockets and flaws happen, but there is something to the old saying, you get what you pay for. Finding an old white hair with good US forged tools is a great idea. When the day comes mine hit the market, some lucky F-er is going to hit the jackpot. I have some great tools that aren't made anymore. An old pair of vise grips are much stronger than the new.

I've got craftsman, crescent, Stanley, Napa, harbor freight and some tools I've even found on the hwy. I try not to buy the cheapest but at the same time I don't have anything snap-on. It's an ever growing collection. Maybe someday there will be something on the same level as snap-on

20200522_184410.jpg
20200522_184439.jpg
20200522_184557.jpg

I have nothing against snapon except that it's kind of hard to do much wrenching with just a 3/8 flank socket set were as I can basically do anything I want with my Gear Wrench mechanics set for less money. I have been impressed with the quality of the Gear Wrench tools, I especially like my 3 degree long handled rachets.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If I was just starting out and wanted to spend a tad less but still wanted the best strength, fit and finish plus forever warranty I'd get Wright sockets and box end wrenches. A fraction of the cost of Snap-On, but IMHO, equal to SO in strength, fit and finish. Wright is not a tool truck product, so warranty will be through the mail or local store if carried. Ratchets would be Wright, SK or Williams, all three are great. Plier type tools would be Knipex, Wilde, Channel Lock perhaps and certainly Klein. Chisels, punches, pry bars probably Mayhew. Hammers would be Trusty Cook and Estwing. Specialty tools perhaps OTC. Screw drivers, Williams, Snap-On and perhaps Klein and Wright. Your sockets, box ends and ratchets are going to be the back bone of your tool arsenal. I'd rather spend a longer time acquiring great tools than getting more tools faster and cheaper. You certainly will re-evaluate life's choices the moment a breaker bar or 24" pry bar breaks and you have put all your strength into the effort. You also will learn valuable lessons on anatomy, geometry and physics. Good cobalt drill bits that you take care of are worth their weight in gold as well. So far the Drill Hog brand has worked well for me. I use cutting oil, let the bits cut rather than force them and I never ever ever loan drill bits. I don't even like people who would even think of asking to borrow them. Actually, that applies to all of my tools, but especially tools that take experience and respect. My drills last decades. At home I have US made 40+ year old Snap-On drill bits (outsourced) that still cut. Getting kinda dull, ready for their first sharpening.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I have quite a mix of Snapon, Craftsman, and Harbor Freight. Never thought I would replace any Snapon with something else, especially out of a Harbor Freight store, but I was very impressed with their new Icon line and now have all their ratchets in 1//4, 3/8, and 1/2". 90 teeth and they're buttery smooth, actually feel nicer than my Snapon. You may want to check them out. Definitely not as cheap as their budget Pittsburgh line but so far I'm very, very pleased with Icon tools.

Last edited:
For screw drivers and pliers I now buy Kobalt from Lowes. I have some Kobalt bit sets for my impact driver as well.
For 24 volt items I use Kobalt as well (except my 18 volt Hitachi drill I got many years ago).

For open end wrenches, ratchets, sockets, and ratchet bit sets I buy Tekton. https://www.tekton.com/

For screw drivers and pliers I now buy Kobalt from Lowes. I have some Kobalt bit sets for my impact driver as well.
For 24 volt items I use Kobalt as well (except my 18 volt Hitachi drill I got many years ago).

For open end wrenches, ratchets, sockets, and ratchet bit sets I buy Tekton. https://www.tekton.com/
Dude, for as anti-Chinese as you come across, you sure aren't making much effort to avoid Chinese shit.

And yet you've failed to post up a single example of a failed Warn 3/4" recovery anchor shackle. Not one.

Chinese shackles and web straps have a long history of failure such that they are banned for use everywhere I've worked. I don't trust them and I won't recommend them to anybody. If you don't care then that's on you. Have fun.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Chinese shackles and web straps have a long history of failure such that they are banned for use everywhere I've worked. I don't trust them and I won't recommend them to anybody. If you don't care then that's on you. Have fun.
What I care about is the actual facts regarding mixing and matching industry standards. You failed to address the fact that you can't break a Crosby 7/16" shackle with a single line pull and outside of a highly contrived near impossible to achieve in the wild snatch block scenario, can't even do it with a snatch block. Prove me wrong.

This reminds me of a "Great Neck" BFSD that my next door neighbor gave me when I was a teenager. It had apparently appeared mysteriously in his toolbox, and he wouldn't be caught dead owning "junk like that". I've abused the Hell out of that poor screwdriver. Pried with it, chiseled with it, hammered on it, punched holes with it, and occasionally even used it as a screwdriver. It just keeps coming back for more. I don't think I've even had to reshape the tip...

My Snapon F80 ratchet is my favorite and most used tool.

Which deep well sockets do you have? Are you ready to have Craftsman and other "cheap" brands ruined for you?
My F80 is far and away the most expensive hand tool I have.

I can't really justify buying more snap on tools, but you ain't kidding about making other tools feel like trash.

i have quite a bit of older craftsman hand tools and have had a few replaced over the years. mostly i would say the quality is there with their older usa made hand tools. i will say i wouldn’t recommend their ratchets. they’re the weak link with all my craftsman hand tools. can’t count how many i’ve had replaced. not sure how/what they replace them with now but, sears would only swap you a rebuilt one. they strip out and cause busted knuckles and colorful language. just my two cents worth, happy wrenching!

My tools started with a Craftsman 300+ piece kit I bought for my H.S. Graduation back in the early 80’s. I’ve since added to it but , my tool of choice is Tekton tools now. Most are made in the USA and the sets socket sets can be ordered as complete sets. Meaning that they don’t skip the oddball sizes. They’re good quality at a good price.

Reactions: John Cooper and Tob