What brand oil and oil filter do you prefer?

I Bought a 2006 TJ sport 4.0l recently. It has 96,566 miles. I had a local quality oil change outfit do the first oil change for me. This was around a month ago, tops. Now I figure I'll do some research ask some questions and try to figure out what my jeep is going to be getting from here on out. Anyone want to lend a hand and guide me through the vast amounts of data & marketing b.s.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have used Castroil 10-30 from Walmart and a NAPA filter for 8 years. Tried Fram filters and had leak problems.

I’ve run Castrol 10/30 with a wix filter for the life of my LJ. No particular reason just what standard oil I could buy cheap locally. I change when the oil starts to darken, I can also hear a little lifter noise on startup when a change is needed. Usually 3-4K miles.

Conventional 10w-30 and K&N until next time I’ll go with AC Delco

WIX, Napa or Mopar. Had a bad experience with a Fram fliter failure and I won't touch them ever again. Penzoil ulta premium synthetic 5w-20 for the Durango, Valvoline VR1 20W50 for the Challenger and whatever is on sale for the XJ. It leaks so much oil now it doesn't matter lol.

I try to use mopar oil filters. If Fram improved their line it was likely because they became the "Firestone" of the filter world (firestone lost major share of the tire market many many years ago when they produced a bad line). I have used some Fram Toughguard on some of my old 200K beaters but never on my Jeep. I guess I need to cut one apart to see how they are bonding the paper and can now days- It used to be terrible 20 years ago.

Just remember what oil's purpose is- some are 1) transfer heat to cooler locations away from hot spots, 2) to provide protective film over cams and sliding surfaces, 3) to pick up contaminants, suspend them so they are carried to filter, and 4) buffer acids from combustion.

It is #3 that you better think about if you are doing dirt/gravel trails — air filters are not perfect and the silicon grit must be removed- some of which is too fine for the oil filter. Put your money into quality air filters and inspect them- don't blow them out (or be extremely careful), never wash 'em.
It is #4 that raises it's head with all short trips/cold starts.

So change oil frequently if off road or short trips (with no long mile trips between to boil off moisture/poorly burnt fuel),

I waste money on the oil- I only run in summer heat and 1 oil change a year (fall before storage) it gets Royal Purple just because I feel like it. I only put on 2,500 miles a year as a rule unless I am going west to run trails. A Colorado round trip is 3000 miles and I sure am not going to do an oil change en route so I feel better about the synthetic for high heat breakdown and make sure the air filter is a quality one.

In the old days there was a big gap between oil additives used by oil blenders but the API specs and technologies have improved greatly and since the 4L we run is NOT a stressful application compared to most other engines today- I really think like most posters we could run anything of the correct viscosity. So oil contamination from air or short run cycles is likely our only real concern.

Last edited:
I use Castrol 10w30 GTX High-Mileage Synthetic too. I'm about 50/50 between NAPA Gold and MOPAR filters. Every time I go into the dealership I complain :D to the guys in the Parts Dept. that I can NEVER get the "MOPAR" logo to face up when I screw it on. You should be able to read it when you open the hood ... right? They always say they'll "get right on it" ... but nothing ever happens. :roflmao:

I use Castrol 10w30 GTX High-Mileage Synthetic too. I'm about 50/50 between NAPA Gold and MOPAR filters. Every time I go into the dealership I complain :D to the guys in the Parts Dept. that I can NEVER get the "MOPAR" logo to face up when I screw it on. You should be able to read it when you open the hood ... right? They always say they'll "get right on it" ... but nothing ever happens. :roflmao:
Just turn the Jeep over so you can read it

Generally I use whatever 5w30 synthetic is on sale but usually that's Castrol from Costco. For a filter I usually go K&N or. Mobile 1, this time I'm going with a Baldwin filter. I also add in a bottle of ZDDP and change the oil regularly once a year whether it needs it or not.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.