What brands and material of axle shafts are you guys using?

I found it on craigslist for 200, needed to buy 3.73 and up carriers anyway and they were in the axles so I bought the completes from him. Got home and opened the rear and there's a 30 spline detroit with shafts. He said he didn't like the way his axles felt after he had work done and bought oem dana 44s with selectables. Never said anything to me about having a super in it. I was just gonna regear and put lockers in later. Till I pulled them apart. Everything works as it's supposed to so I'm happy with it.
Awsome. Glad it all worked out for you.

Ten Factory 4340 axles in my Dana 30. From what I understand the only difference between these and a lot of other popular brands is the box they came in.

26.jpg

Mine has an ancient set of Superior shafts, front and rear.
20180102_174548.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mumblewood
Thanks for the update. The last time I looked up Foote there were financial clues that something was afoot, but what would have been a complete guess to someone outside the business.

Senior has been wanting out of the business for a long time. The shut down from the virus bullshit was likely the impetus to finally justify it.

RG&A still shows availability of the U.S. made axle shafts for the 03-06 front Dana 44. Is this old stock from Foote?
I don't know. I suspect not since historically Foote has had terrible delivery and terrible fulfillment. They want you to place an order once a year. They are supposed to deliver that order in one shot, they have never done so.

Mine has an ancient set of Superior shafts, front and rear.
View attachment 158673
If there the USA made ones ( I think they had a USA series and China series) the fronts are really strong. I got to go to Longfields shop and snap front shafts on his axle breaking machine once and the superior shafts were the 2nd strongest next to his (RCV)

If there the USA made ones ( I think they had a USA series and China series) the fronts are really strong. I got to go to Longfields shop and snap front shafts on his axle breaking machine once and the superior shafts were the 2nd strongest next to his (RCV)

No idea which I have, but I've read that the overseas Discovery line was nearly identical to the USA stuff. And I thought those were made in India.

No idea which I have, but I've read that the overseas Discovery line was nearly identical to the USA stuff. And I thought those were made in India.
Yeah the only reason I don’t know much about those is that we didn’t have a set to test.