What did you do to / in your garage / shop today?

Woke up to the smell of a burnt up air compressor motor.
1000004118.jpg

I guess not. It's the original motor. I'm researching to replace it right now. Any suggestions? I wonder if I can find one that has a way of keeping itself over heating?

I guess not. It's the original motor. I'm researching to replace it right now. Any suggestions? I wonder if I can find one that has a way of keeping itself over heating?

First, make sure it wasn't a wire size issue. Even though the damage was inside the motor (?), it could be that you didn't use large enough wire to the compressor. Look for heat damage in the circuit wiring, too. Then, if there isn't any other signs of heat in the circuit, you only have to worry about the compressor motor. You can likely find a motor to replace it, but it may not make economical sense. Whether you replace the motor or the entire compressor, look for one with thermal overload protection on the motor.

Reactions: AirborneTexasRanger
Got it done. Forgot pics of the additional supports in the attic, but they will have to wait until my TJ specific rear hoist hook shows up. I have to spin the top to the side to open and shut the attic stairs door at the moment because the rear window blocks it from opening when it is open.

PXL_20240519_164311623.MP.jpg

PXL_20240519_164319705.MP.jpg

PXL_20240519_183631467.MP.jpg

First, make sure it wasn't a wire size issue. Even though the damage was inside the motor (?), it could be that you didn't use large enough wire to the compressor. Look for heat damage in the circuit wiring, too. Then, if there isn't any other signs of heat in the circuit, you only have to worry about the compressor motor. You can likely find a motor to replace it, but it may not make economical sense. Whether you replace the motor or the entire compressor, look for one with thermal overload protection on the motor.

No wire issues that I can see. Junction box is clean & so is the sub panel. I've got 10/3 wire on a 30 amp breaker. The motor only draws about 15-20 amps.

I was able to find a replacement for a reasonable price. I went with WEG brand because it has thermal protection like you said & it's got a fan to help keep it cool. Also comes with a warranty.

Thanks for the help.

Installed the new compressor motor, but I'm delayed because I cracked the pulley. New one is ordered.
Don't feel bad, I did similar on a compressor years ago. Changed the compressor head, and the motor needed a different diameter pulley. Broke the first one being stupid, went back to the local store and paid my "stupid tax" and got another one. #metoo

Reactions: John Cooper
Found out the garage door button on the wall wasn't working for the second garage door any more. pulled the button off the wall and jumped the wires without any luck.
happened to notice though that the wire at the opener was different than the wire at the button and all the wiring was within the wall and attic so there must be a bad 40 year old butt connector somewhere

Ran new wires up the wall and on the ceiling for both buttons, installed 2 new buttons & 2nd door is back in working order.

figured since I had the vehicles out of the way I might as well clean the floor, spent a few hours dusting equipment off in the driveway, moving things around and vacuuming the floor.

Reactions: bucky and FarFire70