What did you do to / in your garage / shop today?

Something kinda fun about taking apart a Dewalt tool with a Milwaukee tool.

20240401_205144.jpg

20240401_205219.jpg

I'm going to replace the 18/2 cord with a SJOOW replacement cord. Might go 16/2 and add some length. I think I've got a moly grease somewhere that I might try and place on the bearing.

I radiused the outside corners of the angle iron nesting dies for my Swag Off-road press brake:

1713131339836.png

1713131293892.png

My friend's old J-head Bridgeport is worn out, so it was an interesting process trying to get a uniform radius on there!

I radiused the outside corners of the angle iron nesting dies for my Swag Off-road press brake:

View attachment 518581

View attachment 518579

My friend's old J-head Bridgeport is worn out, so it was an interesting process trying to get a uniform radius on there!

Looks great, a few questions if you don’t mind. I just got a Eastwood press brake and have never used one before.

1. Any particular reason? Is it just for handling them?
2. Do the different angles get a tighter bend?
3. Do you use a smaller angle for thinner or smaller peices?

Any advice in general appreciated. Hoping this weekend to bend some steel to modify the stock bumper.

Looks great, a few questions if you don’t mind. I just got a Eastwood press brake and have never used one before.

1. Any particular reason? Is it just for handling them?
2. Do the different angles get a tighter bend?
3. Do you use a smaller angle for thinner or smaller peices?

Any advice in general appreciated. Hoping this weekend to bend some steel to modify the stock bumper.
  1. The radius was required in order for each one to sit inside the next. They are made with a sharp corner on the outside and a radius on the inside corner. If you don't do something about it, they don't nest properly.
  2. Yes. With all of them, the radius is the tightest. With none of them, the radius is the largest.
  3. Use more of them for a smaller radius. Thickness of material plays into it a bit, too, but the concept is always the same.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Replaced the cord and plug on my sander. The cord is 12'. Test run and everything works as it should.
20240414_171519.jpg

Rebuilt my sprinkler manifold. Everything leaked and the valves wouldn't open unless I opened them manually. Also raised the box up 5" since it was landscaped over 20 years ago 🙄
20240414_171530.jpg

20240413_143629.jpg

20240414_124151.jpg

20240414_165427.jpg

1. The radius was required in order for each one to sit inside the next. They are made with a sharp corner on the outside and a radius on the inside corner. If you don't do something about it, they don't nest properly.
  2. Yes. With all of them, the radius is the tightest. With none of them, the radius is the largest.
  3. Use more of them for a smaller radius. Thickness of material plays into it a bit, too, but the concept is always the same.

Thank you for the responses.

Reactions: sab
Noticed my iron surfaces needed paste wax. So I applied some to the band saw, table saw and jointer tables. The towel had a reddish brown hue so I’m glad I got to it.

Then I built bee frames for the Mrs. All while my TJ sat on jack stands, looking forlornly at me.

Working on hive frames also this weekend. Had a bunch of plastic frames with wax moth damage. Scraped and power washed them today. Tomorrow I will wax dip them. Making lots of honey now so I need to super my hives again. I Just had a swarm fly in to a tree at the shop 1/2 hour ago. Not from one of my hives thankfully. I’ll collect them tonite. Can’t beat free bees.

Time for a new wire spool & blowing out all the dust inside the machine

View attachment 521181

Let me guess - that wire was an online purchase. I stopped buying 10lb and higher spools online because even welding companies don't pack it properly, and it always arrives with the plastic spool cracked. The last 30lb spool I bought from Amazon, and I didn't realize until after the return period was up that the spool was only held together by the wire. As soon as I started using it, it completely bird-nested inside the welder. $80, down the drain.

Let me guess - that wire was an online purchase. I stopped buying 10lb and higher spools online because even welding companies don't pack it properly, and it always arrives with the plastic spool cracked. The last 30lb spool I bought from Amazon, and I didn't realize until after the return period was up that the spool was only held together by the wire. As soon as I started using it, it completely bird-nested inside the welder. $80, down the drain.

Damn, I'd be pissed.

I've only had 1 problem with buying spools online, but I also inspected it as soon as it was delivered. Do you remember who the manufacturer you got the broken spool from?

Edit: the crack in my spool doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the whole thing

Damn, I'd be pissed.

Well, I wasn't happy. That spool ended up at the scrap yard. I think I got about $4 scrap value for it.

Do you remember who the manufacturer you got the broken spool from?

It was Forney wire purchased from Amazon, but sold by "Hearthshire." They put it in a box with a few sheets of paper for packing. I could see it was cracked upon delivery, but I thought it was structurally sound. It wasn't...

I also bought a 10lb spool from Weldfabulous.com (I think that's who I got it from), and it was also packed improperly and arrived cracked, but it was more like yours - still 100% usable.

If only more people would pay attention to packing like Mr. Blaine does!

Reactions: Zorba
If only more people would pay attention to packing like Mr. Blaine does!
Even Blaine's packing doesn't always stop the United States Package Smashers from destroying something. I just bough a new pair of front calipers from him, they arrived and the packing was FANTASTIC! But, one of the pistons was chipped all the same. Blaine had some choice words to say about the USPS, needless to say. A replacement is already out to me, but this crap cost Blaine real money and that sucks!

Which reminds me of a VCR I sold on eBay a few years back. Double boxed the thing, packed like crazy but Fed Up managed to break it anyway, despite only a 50 mile shipment.

Even Blaine's packing doesn't always stop the United States Package Smashers from destroying something. I just bough a new pair of front calipers from him, they arrived and the packing was FANTASTIC! But, one of the pistons was chipped all the same. Blaine had some choice words to say about the USPS, needless to say. A replacement is already out to me, but this crap cost Blaine real money and that sucks!

Which reminds me of a VCR I sold on eBay a few years back. Double boxed the thing, packed like crazy but Fed Up managed to break it anyway, despite only a 50 mile shipment.

No doubt that the shipping gorillas will always find a way to destroy stuff. However, to expect a 12" diameter, 33lb roll of steel wire packed in a 14" box with a couple sheets of kraft paper for packing material to survive is just ridiculous. I would expect destruction 99 out of 100 times in that scenario.

I buy my welding wire locally now. It's only a bit more expensive, but I'm the delivery service for that, and I've received the sab seal of approval every year since its inception. :sneaky:

Reactions: Zorba and Woodrow
No doubt that the shipping gorillas will always find a way to destroy stuff. However, to expect a 12" diameter, 33lb roll of steel wire packed in a 14" box with a couple sheets of kraft paper for packing material to survive is just ridiculous. I would expect destruction 99 out of 100 times in that scenario.
I had a little 2# spool of 309 wire for stainless show up cracked but luckily still useable.
I buy my welding wire locally now. It's only a bit more expensive, but I'm the delivery service for that, and I've received the sab seal of approval every year since its inception. :sneaky:

I tried to buy the stainless wire in town but our local Airgas didn't have it or know when they could get it. Still, shopping locally is almost always my preference for a bunch of reasons, when possible.

Last edited:
I had a little 2# spool of 309 wire for stainless show up cracked but luckily still useable.

For specialty wire, I usually stick to 2lb spools, and I've been successful getting that via online sources. I have a roll of 309 stainless and a roll of hard-facing wire that both arrived unscathed.

Reactions: Woodrow
My 12.5lb roll of lincoln wire came from home depot. They had several rolls available right off the shelf.