What did you do to your TJ today?

Changed the oil. Not a big deal but the first time I ever did it on any car. Went off perfectly except much more oil came out of the filter on removal than I expected from watching how to videos. Maybe I didn’t let it drain out of the bottom long enough before I went to the filter.
Anyway, a small success and another confidence builder. Ran it for five minutes , no leaks and level was perfect.

Used 10w-30 high mileage conventional oil to, hopefully, slow or stop suspected rear main seal leak.

Thanks again, this may be getting old to some of you, for your support and tutoring along the way. I bought this Jeep for the fun of driving but also to learn how to work on it and it’s great so far. Wife is happy I have a hobby again.
How much metal on the drain plug magnet? Mine had none but my 6 speed box drain plug had plenty plenty!

You need to place a big oil catcher under the filter because a little old oil goes a long long way! Ruined my socket set case that I left directly underneath the filter by mistake. :(

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
After getting a ridiculous quote ($1850) to wrap my entire Jeep , I ordered 2 rolls of the same stuff they use (3M #2080 Flame red gloss vinyl) to fix my paint imperfections on the front and around the windshield ($650 quote). Easy enough to install with a heat gun. $25 well spent. I'll have to wait until the weather warms up. I tinted my windows again with an even darker 18% ceramic tint. $27 for that.
Rubi decal 10 29.jpg

Last edited:
After getting a ridiculous quote ($1850) to wrap my entire Jeep , I ordered 2 rolls of the same stuff they use (3M #2080 Flame red gloss vinyl) to fix my paint imperfections on the front and around the windshield. Easy enough to install with a heat gun. $25 well spent. I'll have to wait until the weather warms up. I tinted my windows again with an even darker 18% ceramic tint. $27 for that.
View attachment 229363
Nice. $52 bucks and well spent a nice looking Jeep.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Put the Garmin in and the 6inch aint too bad on the side of the windshield, doesn't block any vision like I thought it would plus the wires fit perfect in the trim grooves so wires are totally hidden all the way to the plug..

View attachment 229048

View attachment 229049
His an RH drive. How did you mount your Garmin? I’ve been looking for an aluminum post to permanently mount. The windshield mount is great but will slip and fall. So annoying.

The OME 2.5” complete lift kit, OME steering stabilizer, 4 new bump stops, a set of Rocky-Road Outfitters super kick sliders are on back order. The phone / walk-in-talkie grab bar mount, metal grab handles, & dead pedal is on the way. Added 6” LED spot beam fog lamps, need to get some LED head lamps. Added a complete set of five Hercules M/T 31”x10.5xR15. Added the metal hide-a-trunk. Need to install the OEM console sub with a new subwoofer & amp, new speakers and amps for the dash & sound bar, and a new stereo this spring. Covid has put a fork in my plans still recovering. This way I am up at 2 am, metallic tasting foam acid reflux that I didn’t have before. I cannot decide on which stereo to go with. I also added a seven pin connection into the factory bumper. Looks good but need to check the connections. Sometimes reverse lights stay on, other times they turn off. I need to install the factory cruise control parts I bought. That sums it up. Will take pictures as installs happen. Oh an the 6” LED fog lamps will eventually move to the factory location and two more 6” spot beam fog lamps or a 20” LED flood light bar will go on the KC Hightlights grill guard bar.Also twin switch bezel is going to happen even if I have to order two more factory switch bezels to mate together.

View attachment 229041

View attachment 229042
I guess this is more of stuff going on in the future due to the Pony Express taking their time. Been MIA for a bit. Got off of all media for awhile but, this is a great group and the cold winter is over.

Delivery driver brought me this:

View attachment 228959

Little while off from being ready to install it but the Discount Bandit deal was way too good to pass up!
Is this the one all the kids are talking about? What else beside that do you need to completely reinforce the hinges / tailgate?

Changed the oil. Not a big deal but the first time I ever did it on any car. Went off perfectly except much more oil came out of the filter on removal than I expected from watching how to videos. Maybe I didn’t let it drain out of the bottom long enough before I went to the filter.
Anyway, a small success and another confidence builder. Ran it for five minutes , no leaks and level was perfect.

Used 10w-30 high mileage conventional oil to, hopefully, slow or stop suspected rear main seal leak.

Thanks again, this may be getting old to some of you, for your support and tutoring along the way. I bought this Jeep for the fun of driving but also to learn how to work on it and it’s great so far. Wife is happy I have a hobby again.
I’ve posted this little pro tip here before. Give it a try when you do your next oil change.
Open up the oil fill cap & have an assistant hold the hose of your shop vac over the opening & turn the shop vac on. It just applies a bit of vacuum to the engine internals which won’t hurt a thing. Once this is done you can go under the Jeep, put your oil catch pan in place & remove the oil drain plug without getting the dreaded oil shower have your assistant remove the shop vac & the oil will drain normally. It’s a much cleaner operation.

How much metal on the drain plug magnet? Mine had none but my 6 speed box drain plug had plenty plenty!

You need to place a big oil catcher under the filter because a little old oil goes a long long way! Ruined my socket set case that I left directly underneath the filter by mistake. :(
The drain plug had zero metal shavings, I didn’t think the oil pan plug has a magnet. I am changing the transfer case and transmission fluid this weekend and I believe they both have magnets on the drain plugs.

I had a shop towel over the exhaust pipe below and cardboard on the floor. From the videos I watched it seemed like oil came out at the end and if you tip it up there is not much of a spill. Mine started coming out as I unscrewed the filter. I think I did not wait long enough for the oil to drain from the plug and that left more up top. Lesson learned.

I’ve posted this little pro tip here before. Give it a try when you do your next oil change.
Open up the oil fill cap & have an assistant hold the hose of your shop vac over the opening & turn the shop vac on. It just applies a bit of vacuum to the engine internals which won’t hurt a thing. Once this is done you can go under the Jeep, put your oil catch pan in place & remove the oil drain plug without getting the dreaded oil shower have your assistant remove the shop vac & the oil will drain normally. It’s a much cleaner operation.
Pulling the plug was not a big deal, I kept pressure forward as I unscrewed it and at the end just pulled back quickly as it came out. No issue there. My oil spill issue was at the filter. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Mudflat

Awesome !!! its always a good feeling when you do something new and it goes well.

What I do to help with oil in the filter is let it drain a while if I have time also take off the top oil cap as well to help with pressure

Awesome !!! its always a good feeling when you do something new and it goes well.

What I do to help with oil in the filter is let it drain a while if I have time also take off the top oil cap as well to help with pressure

Another pro tip: before you drain the oil, take off the top oil call and place it where the hood latches. This will ensure two things. 1) Reminder to fill the engine with oil before closing the hood. 2) Reminder to put back the top oil cap.

Buddy mechanic taught me that. Too easy to forget to fill the engine back up when your busy in the shop.

I've opened my hood before to find the top oil cap missing... Must have forget to put it on last oil change so this reminder and convenient storage spot helps my scattered brain.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
Is this the one all the kids are talking about? What else beside that do you need to completely reinforce the hinges / tailgate?
Yup. P/N: JP54-022 has both the brackets and the hinges. Actual come as two boxes in that box in the pic.

Can't beat the price over on Discount Bandit right now. If you're considering it, grab it while it's there.