What did you do to your TJ today?

Reactions: Mac and InOmaha
Rad cracked while out wheeling on the weekend. New rad, thermostat and cap went in. Drove 15 miles out of the trail and 100 miles home with the crack crazy glued and gorilla taped. Surprised it held. Also tightened up my manifold to front pipe bolts and reattached the heat shields.

received_775197009805785.jpeg

IMG_20210530_182416_019.jpg

Since all my neighbors have BLM signs in their yards, I thought I would do my part to show my support. I ordered a laser cut BLM sign to attach to my spare on back of the Jeep. I hope they appreciate my sensitivity to their cause and that it won't clash with my license plate.
Lost cause
noun
a person or thing that can no longer hope to succeed or be changed for the better.
:cool:
RUBI skel 8 26 2 (4).jpg

BLM sign (3).jpg

Last edited:
Fitted my new Bestop Supertop NX (to replace original 2001 factory soft top, still surprisingly OK but looking faded and stitching starting to fray).

Not sure how you guys make it take 3-5 hours (which some claim on YouTube) - it was 2 hours dead for me and the boy.

All good except as I had been warned, it was super tight even in what for us is very warm and sunny weather (75°F). It fits OK and there are no gaps but the header does seem to be flatter than the top of the windshield - it’s up at the ends and down in the middle (see photos). Almost like the ends are sitting on something (which they aren’t) or the header needs to bend (maybe it will in time?)

Love the twill (matches the BMW...) and the tinted windows.

And yes, it has the dreaded logo.

80E9D513-58AC-4243-8BB9-F980341B93F3.jpeg
89D5D6D9-42BE-4585-87E9-3993FDEFD035.jpeg
887FB640-F935-4400-90A6-2C589C9EC810.jpeg
CB26E7D0-CDAD-4DEC-820F-B1C2BBE6D762.jpeg
0601777D-5468-4F30-B0CA-C68DA6FB04CD.jpeg
ED252A06-CE74-446E-9A46-231F33B8609D.jpeg

Last edited:
Since all my neighbors have BLM signs in their yards, I thought I would do my part to show my support.
:cool:

View attachment 256285

Although I've had too many of those, it's not my favorite beer and that my wife's best friend's husband really shouldn't be drinking at all, this was the 50th birthday cake he got from his family.

IMG_20210328_162400258.jpg

How long have you had the winch for? I never heard of them before pulling the trigger but it had a lot of good reviews on Amazon. The lift kit turned out great btw. I have a similar setup in terms of height and tire size and it’s done everything I’ve needed it to so far.
I've had it since October, no issues. Had to use it for recovery a few times, and here recently I've used it to pull out about 50 Indian hawthorn bushes around the neighborhood. 2 or 3 bushes held on more than the winch could pull, motor didn't burn out or anything. The synthetic rope it came with is showing some wear, but I've basically used it 50+ times already so maybe that's normal.

Reactions: RFAASRMA
Fitted my new Bestop Supertop NX (to replace original 2001 factory soft top, still surprisingly OK but looking faded and stitching starting to fray).

Not sure how you guys make it take 3-5 hours (which some claim on YouTube) - it was 2 hours dead for me and the boy.

All good except as I had been warned, it was super tight even in what for us is very warm and sunny weather (75°F). It fits OK and there are no gaps but the header does seem to be flatter than the top of the windshield - it’s up at the ends and down in the middle (see photos). Almost like the ends are sitting on something (which they aren’t) or the header needs to bend (maybe it will in time?)

Love the twill (matches the BMW...) and the tinted windows.

And yes, it has the dreaded logo.

View attachment 256286View attachment 256287View attachment 256288View attachment 256289View attachment 256290View attachment 256291
You should probably try parking in the hot sun, unlatching the header, and work to stretch it further and get a better seal so the header doesn't warp like that permanently. Then once it's sealed right, leave it latched for at least several days moving it out to the hot sun during the day to get it to stretch out. Mine wanted to bend like that also but after working it for awhile I managed to get the header laying relatively flat. I wish Bestop offered a non plastic header that doesn't bend... I'd definitely pay extra for it.

Last edited:
Went wheeling up in Crossbar Ranch in OK. Not too much mud (thankfully) but the river trails we a bit deeper thanks to all the rain. A TJ with a 5" long arm was leading us with a 2.5" lifted JKU on 35's was running 2nd. We've been through this section before, but either the TJ took the wrong line or the water was way deeper than ever before, but he had water over the headlights & managed to get out. He directed the JKU on what he thought was a shallower line, but was wrong, and hilarity ensued. Water came in over the passenger doors, engine died. We got him pulled to slightly higher ground (but still in the river), and then got to work. This was my first time dealing with this situation, so I'm interested to hear if we did it right. Basically we removed the spark plugs and bumped the starter to remove the water it took in....water shot out of the spark plug holes. Then we put everything back together and she started back up. The ceramic on one of the plugs was cracked, and there is now a misfire on that cylinder, and there is a little tick in the motor now. It's at the shop now awaiting diagnosis.

image-2.jpg

Then as we're gassing up to head home, my best bud's XJ starts hemorrhaging coolant. He had started to overheat a couple times on the trails but each time it resolved itself. Turns out the water pump bearing & seal must've pooped the bed, because that pulley had a bad wobble on it and was not making a good noise. So we filled it up with water as best we could and high-tailed it 10 miles down the road to O'Reilly where we replaced the water pump in the parking lot. When we took the old pump off, the shaft had a good 1/8" of play side-to-side. We had to answer the age-old question of to RTV a water pump or not to RTV a water pump, and we opted to just use the gasket w/o RTV. No leaks on the first try!!! I'm starting to think it's not nearly as important to get that surface as perfect as everybody says. Also, had a booger of a time getting that pipe out of the old pump, since this O'Reilly didn't have a new pipe. If I ever have to touch my water pump again, that's getting replaced with a barb & hose. I may just keep those parts in my jeep, ready for the day it needs to happen.

I'm also trying to decide if I have more fun running the trails or doing trail fixes.

image-3.jpg

What did I do today? Nearly drove it off the road. Experienced death wobble for the very first time at 70 miles per hour. Holy Sh!t that was scary. Bought this ‘03 in Feb as a toy and figured I’d overhaul everything in my spare time and at my leisure. Well, due to some unforeseen circumstances, the TJ is now my DD and I don’t have the luxury of time anymore; can’t just leave it sitting in my garage as I take my time. So....off to the local Jeep shop for some repairs. I’m pretty much going to drop it off tomorrow and say replace it all. Everything is original so I suspect it all needs replacing.

What did I do today? Nearly drove it off the road. Experienced death wobble for the very first time at 70 miles per hour. Holy Sh!t that was scary. Bought this ‘03 in Feb as a toy and figured I’d overhaul everything in my spare time and at my leisure. Well, due to some unforeseen circumstances, the TJ is now my DD and I don’t have the luxury of time anymore; can’t just leave it sitting in my garage as I take my time. So....off to the local Jeep shop for some repairs. I’m pretty much going to drop it off tomorrow and say replace it all. Everything is original so I suspect it all needs replacing.
Hope your Jeep shop knows what they are doing and not just how to take your money.