What did you do to your TJ today?

What were the symptoms? I'm chasing an issue on my sons 02 model. Freon is good, pulled vacuum, no leaks but it will just stop cooling.

Compressor wouldn't kick on at all. I had bypassed the low pressure switch during a previous diagnostic session but apparently I did a shit job of it so I chased my tail through the entire ac clutch circuit trying to figure out what was wrong. In other news I've become very familiar with the wiring of the AC clutch though. :LOL:

Get it to stop cooling then bypass either the low or high pressure switch. All you have to do is unplug it and put a paperclip in the female terminals. (I have some small gauge solid core wire I like to use for this) It's a ground system so when it is grounded the circuit is closed. The two switches are in series so if either is open the clutch won't kick on.

Also you can jump the big terminals on the AC clutch relay under the hood but only do that temporarily as that stays hot even with the engine off. If you can get the clutch to engage you know it's something else.

Another thought, when it stops blowing cold does plenty of air still come out of the vents? If the low pressure switch isn't working you could be icing up the evaporator.

Reactions: Dino76033
Horse meadow in the Sequoia National Forest. I've got a fair bit more exploring to do in this area, quite a few roads to travel yet even with all the forest closures due to the fires last year. They have a ton of land closed.
Check out the sherman pass Jeep trail in Sequoia as well. Sequoia is a beautiful area!

_IKV5093_zpskglhnpc1.jpg

IMG_7780_zpsoztxpnl4.jpg

IMG_7828_zpsldl4lvay.jpg

Stock rear bumper is back on after installing the bumper braces. Good thing its only temporary as what with the 1/4" thickness of the braces, plus an added washer, the nuts on the backside only thread on about 50%. Not great, but since it also has bottom bolts, its not going anywhere. New bolts on the bottom. Apparently the bumper got a tweak in it in the CarFax documented minor accident of 2016 as I had to pry/cuss on the thing to get one of the bottom bolts to line up.

I also modified the drain holes I put in the rear cross member (at the frame). The rear cross member wraps under the frame - leaving a 1/8" gap on the inside that could still hold water. I first thought to simply ream the hole out larger - and that did help, but I ended up using an angle grinder and grinding a slot on the bottom of the hole. Now I don't think water will be able to stay in the aft end of the frame at all, or pool up in the bottom most portion of the rear cross member. What I ended up with is as ugly as home made sin, but it'll work and its out of sight anyway. I should have just used the angle grinder to start with!

Reactions: matkal
Well, I don't fully know that I have to, but I just figured it was a sensible step. I know you need to pull the pump, but there shouldn't be much ATF in the housing at that point, so I guess maybe you don't need to drain it. Of course I also don't understand why the dipstick tube doesn't function as a breather tube (or why breather tubes are necessary at all, but maybe that's a whole 'nother topic).

Since you're planning on this as well, I'll tell you that I was HOPING to simply tap the existing vent hole and put my NPT 90 deg fitting right into the stock location. I read another thread here where somebody determined they had 17mm of clearance. The fitting I have in my hand, assuming it threads 100% in, is about 16.5mm, which is probably too close for my taste. I may try to find a lower profile one, but I doubt I'll have much luck.
Oh wow I just looked,it’s not gonna happen anytime soon on mine lol,looks like a job!

I removed the rear seat and seatbelts, also removed the spare tire carrier from the door and the spare lives in the back seat for now. Debating on leaving it in the rear or another bumper with a spare tire carrier.

Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: WSS
I saw that one for sale solid looking Jeep
Fairly nice TJ,but does have some issues to work through. Found out the hard way that it REALLY needed a new front track bar. Almost lost it on 40 east. After removal of the old one, you could move the ball joint easily by hand. Vacuum leak in the air control line, and some other small items to work on. It will take some time to find all of them but it is not a primary vehicle for me, so I can work on it at my leisure.My other TJ is a 99 that does anything I want it to do.

40FE312C-2905-4A2B-8203-0563F6006F13.jpeg

996D21C3-BB2D-4329-B352-FD3B39EB1206.jpeg

74AD6786-7473-4338-A713-D3FCB15CDF0E.jpeg

E8586043-F9A1-4E05-85E2-DD424150AA5D.jpeg

Last edited: