What did you do to your TJ today?

I did everything I'm not supposed to and installed my new soft top early this morning. Temp was 50 with 20-30 mph winds and no good sun to lay it out and let it stretch. Took it straight out of the box and installed it. All went good, fitment was better than I expected. I still have to let the windows sit in the sun to get the wrinkles out from being boxed up. Took it for a 30 mile highway high-wind drive. Very quiet, even compared to my Bestop sailcloth top. Windows had zero flapping issues either. 3 year warranty, so I will see how it holds up. I don't think I'll be buying anymore $800 Bestop sailcloth tops anytime soon, if this works out. Paid $269 shipped. Sierra Offroad black Trilogy acoustic top. 45oz heavy top. So far, so good. Only time will tell.
View attachment 319807
View attachment 319809
View attachment 319810
Nice top. I also really like those RC fender flares-even though I'm not supposed to like RC stuff :)
They strike a great balance between the 6-7" options which look odd and stock flares which don't give enough tire coverage.
Could live without the logo, but its a small complaint.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I was reading that too only fits 03-06?
Sierra Offroad 1997-2006 TJ Wrangler Ridge Runner Style Soft Top with Press Polish Tinted Windows in Black Sailcloth
clear1x1.gif

blank.gif

clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
sierra-logo-150x150.png
Color: Black Sailcloth
Windows: Tinted Press Polish
Vehicle Fitment: 1997-2006 Wrangler TJ

Price: $359.00
Sale Price: $339.00
You save $20.00!
Availability: Usually Ships in 24 Hours
Item ID: 10-40-TJ19706RR-21
Qty:
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Got some parts in... planning on replacing the plastic plug on the rear diff cover with a higher metal bung...solves the pinion angle fluid level issue and potential interference with the plastic plug and my e-locker on my 35.

-Mac

View attachment 320802
hmm... I think I need that for my Dana 35 with SYE and upcoming e-locker/super 35 transition. Where'd ya get those? How will you plug the old hole?

I wasn’t completely satisfied with my surface shield sprayer so I built a nozzle that sprays in all directions.

It’s a 1/4” barbed fitting with a cap screwed on the threaded end. I then drilled holes in all the flats.

It works great and should apply the rust protection fluid evenly next time.

hmm... I think I need that for my Dana 35 with SYE and upcoming e-locker/super 35 transition. Where'd ya get those? How will you plug the old hole?
McMaster-Carr 12555K83

Planning on patching the existing hole with some scrap 11 gauge.

May duplicate the Barnett cover.

Also need to make sure the taper of the NPT thread stops the plug before it falls in or contacts anything in the diff. May need to rig a stop ring.

-Mac

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Woodrow
McMaster-Carr 12555K83

Planning on patching the existing hole with some scrap 11 gauge.

May duplicate the Barnett cover.

Also need to make sure the taper of the NPT thread stops the plug before it falls in or contacts anything in the diff. May need to rig a stop ring.

-Mac
I'd like to see pics when you do that. I assume you'll bolt it onto a flat surface for welding to prevent warping the cover? I seem to recall @mrblaine commenting that replicating something like the Barnett cover was fairly tedious.

Last edited:
Reactions: macleanflood
I've used newer (03-06) tops on older Jeeps (97-99) and older tops on newer Jeeps. They all fit fine.
p.s. I think the 03-06' roll bar padding is supposed to be thicker.
It looks interesting, but like most other tops out there, it is unclear what additional components from OEM or other applications might be compatible or required for the tops to work properly.
We have an older Rampage top, which has a front bow, (full) door surrounds, and the rear frame that secures/hinges off the roll bar.
I can't tell what from our current top/frame will work, or what we would need. I like the idea of not needing the rear bar/frame... especially for under $400!

@TheBoogieman do have a factory or aftermarket soft top frame? Do you remember how many forward-facing button snaps are on the rear frame bar for the top to attach to?

its more of a single clunk with the wheel turn, I noticed it at low speed in a parking lot. it also does do it while not moving at all.
You might want to check the U joints in the steering shaft. I can’t say that it would be those with any certainty but it’s an easy check and a pretty easy replacement if necessary. I’ve replaced the lower half of mine and I believe the upper portion needs changed now because I’m getting the same kind of sound as you (maybe unrelated lol) I’ve replaced all the other steering components including the gearbox so I’m left to believe the upper half of the shaft is the last block in the pyramid scheme that is my Jeep lol

I'd to see pics when you do that. I assume you'll bolt it onto a flat surface for welding to prevent warping the cover? I seem to recall @mrblaine commenting that replicating something like the Barnett cover was fairly tedious.

I remember that discussion, and I've also spoken to the guys at T&J about the Barnes covers they make. There are two different Dana 44 covers that were used by the OEMs (maybe more, but those are the two common designs). One was used on our TJs, and the other I think was used on Dodge/Ram trucks. The TJ cover has the lower fill hole and is made from thinner-gauge steel. I asked T&J if I could send my covers in for conversion and they won't work with them due to warpage.

Reactions: Woodrow
Last edited: