What did you do to your TJ today?

SAWB thanks for sharing your wisdom, I will follow your project like a dogs tail follow its dog ! I once restored 100% a CJ5 304 Golden Eagle, body, engine and chassis, two years of breathing rust dust and eating old grease !!! Then............... “D” !!!! I had to sell it. I admit, I cried when I sold the Jeep, although now I would hate it as it would remind me of dark days. I got good books on the CJ’s, but nothing on the TJ. Maybe you will consider taking lots of photos and maybe write a book on TJ restoration. TJs are, for me, the prettiest of all Jeeps, and still decently and fairly strong, reliable and simple, I foresee TJs someday will value more than even CJs, with ALL DUE RESPECT.
BB,
I agree with you the TJ's are the best of the Jeeps , love their lines and with coil springs are the best of both worlds. Only bad thing you can say about them is the gas milage. I plan on fixing that with putting in a diesel engine swap ( 30 mpg ) improvement ! This is why I bought a 4 banger , no rust , not beat all to hell , jacked up all to hell and just a solid platform to start with. I am putting this together to run the trails I will be on. It will be an interesting transformation and like no other jeep on the forum I am sure. May not be everyones cup of tea but I bet everyone will respect what I have done to it and most will like it.
Will

Reactions: CV04TJR and Kiwi TJ
BB,
I agree with you the TJ's are the best of the Jeeps , love their lines and with coil springs are the best of both worlds. Only bad thing you can say about them is the gas milage. I plan on fixing that with putting in a diesel engine swap ( 30 mpg ) improvement ! This is why I bought a 4 banger , no rust , not beat all to hell , jacked up all to hell and just a solid platform to start with. I am putting this together to run the trails I will be on. It will be an interesting transformation and like no other jeep on the forum I am sure. May not be everyones cup of tea but I bet everyone will respect what I have done to it and most will like it.
Will
Great super idea !!!! Diesels are awesome !!!! Matter fact mine is a project “dummy“. My final plan is to install a much better Drivetrain on a TJ with a B/W T18, a Dana 300 TC, and my heart falls for a Chevy Silverado injected 4.2 ( got that on my truck which is 4x4 and runs incredibly good ! ). If not a Chevy 4.2, then an AMC I6. I will install all that, including the passenger side differentials on a TJ once I get all the parts running and bolted together, so I need a TJ so I can measure it without the need of leaving my shop. Hopefully I will have the best TJ in town. Eventually I might sell this TJ for a better shape TJ, mine got chassis repairs already.

Reactions: matkal
Today I swapped out all my bulbs and started prepping for sound dampening.. problem is I found a wet passenger floorboard and now see my coolant overflow is low… so seems I have bigger problems to deal with tomorrow.

I got around to installing the BMB tie rod,
20220409_114338.jpg

tested the new light that mrblaine recommended and toximus linked a discount to
20220409_085342.jpg

and again thanks to a suggestion from mrblaine replaced the hard plastic door edge moulding on the chopped hood (that continually fell off due to the heat) with some Trim-Lok.
20220409_123211.jpg

Last edited:
Doing lots of stuff to the tj today. Mainly fucking shit up, Putting in my RGA front shafts.

Because…….

I’m an idiot.

I hammered the u joint together WITHOUT putting on the snap rings on first. Now I can’t get the damn thing apart. I’ve got one cap back off, but for the life of me I can not get the other cap off to install the snap rings and start over, not enough clearance to slide it out. Any advice before @mrblaine or the other non dumbasses see this and rip me a new one and tell me to sell my tj and my tools?

82ABCDE5-4E37-4A07-843D-B980BC50C3C3.jpeg

Doing lots of stuff to the tj today. Mainly fucking shit up, Putting in my RGA front shafts.

Because…….

I’m an idiot.

I hammered the u joint together WITHOUT putting on the snap rings on first. Now I can’t get the damn thing apart. I’ve got one cap back off, but for the life of me I can not get the other cap off to install the snap rings and start over, not enough clearance to slide it out. Any advice before @mrblaine or the other non dumbasses see this and rip me a new one and tell me to sell my tj and my tools?

View attachment 321716
It will go out, it went in. If there is a relief on the inside of the other yoke, then pop the cap back into the hole, push it out that direction. I don't know that any will go in fully with a cap in place like that.

As for being a dumbass, we've all done it so you're in the company of a lot of dumbasses for that one.

It will go out, it went in. If there is a relief on the inside of the other yoke, then pop the cap back into the hole, push it out that direction. I don't know that any will go in fully with a cap in place like that.

As for being a dumbass, we've all done it so you're in the company of a lot of dumbasses for that one.
Mrblaine hello I was told here that you know quite a bit about setting up and welding axles correct? If so do you have a shop because I seem to be in a bit of a jam and could really use some knowledgeable help.

Mrblaine hello I was told here that you know quite a bit about setting up and welding axles correct? If so do you have a shop because I seem to be in a bit of a jam and could really use some knowledgeable help.
I do know a fair bit. I do not have a shop. I do help folks solve problems from time to time depending on need and urgency. I am not open to the public. What do you need help with?

Reactions: matkal and COYOTE83
Where do I start? Ok first my stock rubicon rear 44 with the factory air locker up and died so I took it to Tri-County Gear assuming they would do a good job of fixing the rear end. Well needless to say they didn't and it gernaded. So this time I figured I would upgrade the strength a little so I found a good deal on a JT M220 44 which I took over to The Differential and Axle Shop in Escondido to get the mounts changed over along with the Full Traction Long Arm Truss. Well needless to say it's now working on 3 weeks that it's been there and I found out yesterday they haven't done anything and that they can't even give me a quote as to how much it will cost. Needless to say I'm pulling my hair out now and am not exactly sure what to do. When I first dropped it off they inferred it would be around $800 now they can't even give me a price range? I'm far from a rich guy in fact I'm just trying to recover from the wasted $2000 tri county BS. I can and am willing to pay to get it done but I keep getting this gut feeling I'm getting squeezed a bit for money I really cant afford especially considering it cot me almost $150 in gas alone to take both axles to Escondido. Now I have a fairly good idea what it takes to set up an axle but for some reason this shop seems to have an excuse at every turn and then to find out they've done nothing after two weeks I really just want to go get it. Sorry for the long winded story but that's where I'm at. Any ideas would help in fact if you can set it and weld it I would happily pay you the $800- $1000 I just need my jeep back.. Thanks for listening.

Where do I start? Ok first my stock rubicon rear 44 with the factory air locker up and died so I took it to Tri-County Gear assuming they would do a good job of fixing the rear end. Well needless to say they didn't and it gernaded. So this time I figured I would upgrade the strength a little so I found a good deal on a JT M220 44 which I took over to The Differential and Axle Shop in Escondido to get the mounts changed over along with the Full Traction Long Arm Truss. Well needless to say it's now working on 3 weeks that it's been there and I found out yesterday they haven't done anything and that they can't even give me a quote as to how much it will cost. Needless to say I'm pulling my hair out now and am not exactly sure what to do. When I first dropped it off they inferred it would be around $800 now they can't even give me a price range? I'm far from a rich guy in fact I'm just trying to recover from the wasted $2000 tri county BS. I can and am willing to pay to get it done but I keep getting this gut feeling I'm getting squeezed a bit for money I really cant afford especially considering it cot me almost $150 in gas alone to take both axles to Escondido. Now I have a fairly good idea what it takes to set up an axle but for some reason this shop seems to have an excuse at every turn and then to find out they've done nothing after two weeks I really just want to go get it. Sorry for the long winded story but that's where I'm at. Any ideas would help in fact if you can set it and weld it I would happily pay you the $800- $1000 I just need my jeep back.. Thanks for listening.
I don't have a fixture for the TJ rear brackets. I also only have one place I can set it up under the rig it goes into. That is currently occupied and will be for the foreseeable future. I do have a solution for you though. Contact Mike Duncan The 4x Doctor who is now in Riverside, tell him I sent you, he should be able to get you fixed right up. I'll send his phone number to you.

Actually I have both housings the New housing has been stripped of its mounts and is all clean and ready I even have the new bracket kit for it all that needs to be done is matching the mount placement from the old rear end to the new and then the welding.