What did you do to your TJ today?

It was snowing and I was bored, so I made a seat-back pocket. I had some left over fabric from my winter CJ2a top project, so I started measuring, marking and sewing. It took the better part of the day, but I was making a pattern and took copious notes in case I need another one. I think it turned out pretty good. It has room for all of the loose stuff rolling around in the Jeep such as pens, note paper, spare batteries, an MRE, and a thermos, amongst other stuff. I think I'll make one for the passenger seat for tools and repair items. The fabric is 18 oz/yd cotton duck in OD #7, the same as the old duffel bags. I made some dog harnesses as well and it wears great.View attachment 321425View attachment 321426View attachment 321427View attachment 321428
Nice!

Took it in for an alignment check as it was pulling a bit to the right.
Turned out that a camber adjustment was needed.
They also went over all of the hardware from the lift install to re-torque everything now that we have some miles on it.
The driver home was without any pull, but the damned steering wheel still isn't straight.

Why is it so difficult to align the wheel BEFORE you do an alignment?

Reactions: matkal
Scheduled myself off this coming Tuesday to take the TJ in for its annual inspection at 8am, then spend the rest of the day putzing around getting it into summer configuration along with some odds & ends but when I split from work today it was just so damn nice out I got a head start:

IMG_2272.jpg

Changed the oil

IMG_2260.jpg

while that was drooling out I pulled out the old coolant & washer fluid reservoirs, they were just old & uncleanable & I was about tired of looking at them

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

There is some foulness welded to the bottom of the coolant reservoir

IMG_2261.jpg

cleaned up as best I could underneath

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Next week after the inspection will be a good wash, it's been a year or so since I've really given it a bath; supposed to be 75 & sunny so that'll be good.

Scheduled myself off this coming Tuesday to take the TJ in for its annual inspection at 8am, then spend the rest of the day putzing around getting it into summer configuration along with some odds & ends but when I split from work today it was just so damn nice out I got a head start:

View attachment 321464

Changed the oil

View attachment 321465

while that was drooling out I pulled out the old coolant & washer fluid reservoirs, they were just old & uncleanable & I was about tired of looking at them

View attachment 321466

View attachment 321467

There is some foulness welded to the bottom of the coolant reservoir

View attachment 321468

cleaned up as best I could underneath

View attachment 321469

View attachment 321471

View attachment 321472

Next week after the inspection will be a good wash, it's been a year or so since I've really given it a bath; supposed to be 75 & sunny so that'll be good.
Is that your temp sensor?

It was snowing and I was bored, so I made a seat-back pocket. I had some left over fabric from my winter CJ2a top project, so I started measuring, marking and sewing. It took the better part of the day, but I was making a pattern and took copious notes in case I need another one. I think it turned out pretty good. It has room for all of the loose stuff rolling around in the Jeep such as pens, note paper, spare batteries, an MRE, and a thermos, amongst other stuff. I think I'll make one for the passenger seat for tools and repair items. The fabric is 18 oz/yd cotton duck in OD #7, the same as the old duffel bags. I made some dog harnesses as well and it wears great.

Snow? What do you mean? It's 90 degrees today! BTW, nice work. My grandfather used to do aircraft and then auto interior upholstery and I regret not learning that from him. Shame I never took advantage of all that knowledge just waiting for me to ask about and learn.

• Sad
Reactions: Woodrow and RINC
Took it in for an alignment check as it was pulling a bit to the right.
Turned out that a camber adjustment was needed.
They also went over all of the hardware from the lift install to re-torque everything now that we have some miles on it.
The driver home was without any pull, but the damned steering wheel still isn't straight.

Why is it so difficult to align the wheel BEFORE you do an alignment?
I find it easier to recenter the wheel after the alignment. Any adjustments made to tie rods change the angle of the pitman arm and that changes your steering wheel position.

I got up this morning at 4:30 to drive an hour away in a different time zone too be at work at 8:00. So by the time I was home and ate Dinner it was dark. Off Sunday so I guess I will see what I can remove from the interior. Just about have it striped out and the plugs are out and now I have another little part to get. Got my mats in , really like the tread pattern on them.
Funny I was looking at these last night .
pdint_2_tj-tan_7149.15719361867485.jpg

I was thinking of getting some blue webbing and Navy ACU and sewing one up with Navy ACU pouches for my tailgate.
GO NAVY !

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
Snow? What do you mean? It's 90 degrees today! BTW, nice work. My grandfather used to do aircraft and then auto interior upholstery and I regret not learning that from him. Shame I never took advantage of all that knowledge just waiting for me to ask about and learn.
I've only been sewing for a year and a half. I got hurt at work and stuck at home, so my wife helped me make a leather shift boot for my CJ2a on her machine. I ended up buying an old Singer machine and now have a commercial Mitsubishi for big stuff. Yesterday I was repairing hockey gear for my nephew on the Mitsu.

I've only been sewing for a year and a half. I got hurt at work and stuck at home, so my wife helped me make a leather shift boot for my CJ2a on her machine. I ended up buying an old Singer machine and now have a commercial Mitsubishi for big stuff. Yesterday I was repairing hockey gear for my nephew on the Mitsu.
Thats crazy Cool !!! I bet you will get lots of business !!!

I started a thread on my Jeep restoration if anyone is interested in what I do to it :
Will

Dirty Jeep Progress
SAWB thanks for sharing your wisdom, I will follow your project like a dogs tail follow its dog ! I once restored 100% a CJ5 304 Golden Eagle, body, engine and chassis, two years of breathing rust dust and eating old grease !!! Then............... “D” !!!! I had to sell it. I admit, I cried when I sold the Jeep, although now I would hate it as it would remind me of dark days. I got good books on the CJ’s, but nothing on the TJ. Maybe you will consider taking lots of photos and maybe write a book on TJ restoration. TJs are, for me, the prettiest of all Jeeps, and still decently and fairly strong, reliable and simple, I foresee TJs someday will value more than even CJs, with ALL DUE RESPECT.

Reactions: CV04TJR and matkal
It was snowing and I was bored, so I made a seat-back pocket. I had some left over fabric from my winter CJ2a top project, so I started measuring, marking and sewing. It took the better part of the day, but I was making a pattern and took copious notes in case I need another one. I think it turned out pretty good. It has room for all of the loose stuff rolling around in the Jeep such as pens, note paper, spare batteries, an MRE, and a thermos, amongst other stuff. I think I'll make one for the passenger seat for tools and repair items. The fabric is 18 oz/yd cotton duck in OD #7, the same as the old duffel bags. I made some dog harnesses as well and it wears great.View attachment 321425View attachment 321426View attachment 321427View attachment 321428
Man thats super nice !!!!!!!!