What did you do to your TJ today?

Thanks for that advice. I bought some cans of rubber undercoating spray so maybe I’ll hit them with that before I do some of the undercarriage.

I don’t have too much issue with rust where I’m at now, but I know WV salts their roads in the winter and it will likely eat that thin paint up that comes on the ranchos.

Thanks for that advice. I bought some cans of rubber undercoating spray so maybe I’ll hit them with that before I do some of the undercarriage.
I painted mine because I didn't like the white and red. My adjustable control arms are gun metal gray so the shocks got that and black boots. So I'm all color coordinated . 🤣 🤣 🤣
IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

I get that…. So, wait to do them all together for sure. You’ll be happy you did.

My TJ is a DD, so I get to enjoy it every day. I do about 40 miles to and from work and rarely come straight home.

I remember driving it home on the day I bought it. It had just turned 50k so it sat for a while and though it new tires, wheels and half of a RC 2.5 lift (nearly all of which I have taken out), and I remember two things; Its‘s road manners sucked. It was stiff and bouncy. Wandered all over the place. Hit road expansion joints that felt like I was riding over a 6x6. And one near panic stop on that ride home it almost swapped ends.

Tire pressure was nearly 40psi. Brake lines were intact but likely clogged. Spring isolators were missing in the front. All the bushings were old and tired. The list went on.

I have since refreshed everything and then some. It rides like a dream. Every time I get in it (and that’s every day) i giggle and think.. this shouldn’t ride this nice!

Tire pressure and shocks were the two most significant improvements to the ride quality. B&M short shift is by far my favorite mod.

I definitely notice a few of those current ride characteristics with my current set up. Lol it’s been a non stop project since I bought it but I enjoy it for the most part. It’s definitely be a learning experience and I can do just about anything to a vehicle now with all that I have learned from this Jeep

Installed an antirock this evening. Install wasn't bad, only took a few hours. Set it in the middle setting to start and took it for a quick ride tonight on a trail that is minutes from the house. I can tell instantly that the ride has gotten better. I usually leave the sway bar disconnected around town so I'm used to how the jeep feels. There is much less rocking side to side when driving down the trail. It's much more comfortable in the driver's seat. The ride is still plush though, it's a neat feeling. I did flex it out on a rock I use to test the suspension, and it didn't hit the front bumpstops anymore before the rear lost traction. Sometime this week, I will try the softest setting to see the difference. So far, it's a win for me!

20220911_191103.jpg

20220911_191111.jpg

Somewhere somehow I saw a suggestion to drill through the holes already on the lower control arm mounts because those mounts will keep the frame strong. It wasn't too hard to drill but breaking off the sharp edges and priming/painting was a huge PIA. I'm not even sure if I succeeded at that so Fluid Film is a regular thing. Poking around to keep those holes from getting clogged is another reason I wish I drilled where SAWB and MikekiM drilled theirs.

Lived, Learned, and now Sharing what I'll avoid next time.

Somewhere somehow I saw a suggestion to drill through the holes already on the lower control arm mounts because those mounts will keep the frame strong. It wasn't too hard to drill but breaking off the sharp edges and priming/painting was a huge PIA. I'm not even sure if I succeeded at that so Fluid Film is a regular thing. Poking around to keep those holes from getting clogged is another reason I wish I drilled where SAWB and MikekiM drilled theirs.

Lived, Learned, and now Sharing what I'll avoid next time.

If you are not planning to pulverize the inside of the rails, you might want to explore making the holes a little bigger so larger chunks can be flushed out without clogging the hole. I use a a strong magnet to capture large moisture holding debris first, then a combination of compressed blown air in and simultaneous strong vacuum out, plus repeated power washing. Allow to dry, then Fluid Film.

Reactions: John Cooper
Worked on broken engine mounts 10k feet into the mountains, in rain.

2x deer where within bow shot at this location!

Too bad we were holding wrenches.

View attachment 358743
Don't kill deer unless you plan on eating EVERY part of them. 😬
I want that blue Toyota. I love those old FJs.

Nice lift. Pros and Cons?

Great for suspension, axles, brakes, etc. Not good for dropping T-case or tranny, doing exhaust. It's small and I park over it when not in use. My garage is tall enough for a 2 post lift but not wide to have it and two cars parking so this was a compromise. It certainly saves my back on a lot of things. I can also put a piece of plywood on it and put anything on it to work at a good height like a lawn mower or ATV.