What did you do to your TJ today?

Spent the day cleaning up the TJ on a really nice early spring day. Wash, buff, wax, repeat. My arms ache but she looks great now!

5F9B062A-8D2B-4599-8C56-40AB5EC023EC.jpeg

Replaced OPDA on my '06 LJ. After I replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys. I didn't understand the OPDA issue fully and thought it was just a sticky pulley that quieted after a short time. Nope.

OPDA done today, Wrangler fix PCM already, what other 05-06 issues am I forgetting about/in store for? This LJ had transmission work done before I got it. New radiator and water pump too.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I understand the Truetrac is not a real locker.

Don't Rubicons already have lockers?

Both OEM lockers have failed (air bladder ring) so I have replaced the rear and now considering the E-locker Vs. Powertrax No-slip. Wondering which would bring more when I sell it. I'm sure everyone that lives for rock crawling will say E-locker but the videos of the Powertrax in mud and on trails are pretty convincing. IT is an extra $900 so just curious to get everyone's experiences with both.

Reactions: diggerwolf
Went to go take the Jeep for a ride on Saturday. Fired it up and the belt started squealing. Figured maybe the battery was badly discharged, didn't think much about it immediately. Walked into the garage, came back out, no more squealing, cause the belt melted off!

Between the time I pulled her into the garage for winter storage and now, my alternator froze up. I have a used one on the donor motor for the Apex, as well as another belt, so probably just throw that on for now.

This thing has spat a lot of parts out at me, but every single one that would have been an issue on the road happened in my driveway. I have nothing to complain about!

Went to go take the Jeep for a ride on Saturday. Fired it up and the belt started squealing. Figured maybe the battery was badly discharged, didn't think much about it immediately. Walked into the garage, came back out, no more squealing, cause the belt melted off!

Between the time I pulled her into the garage for winter storage and now, my alternator froze up. I have a used one on the donor motor for the Apex, as well as another belt, so probably just throw that on for now.

This thing has spat a lot of parts out at me, but every single one that would have been an issue on the road happened in my driveway. I have nothing to complain about!

I had some alternator bearings go bad several years ago on an old ‘90 model Chevy pick-up. I thought J would be the only one. ☺️

Reactions: MikeE024
I had some alternator bearings go bad several years ago on an old ‘90 model Chevy pick-up. I thought J would be the only one. ☺️

Yeah, I've had a few of em' go in many different things over the years. We used to rebuild them, then alternators got pretty cheap, like $30-$40. Those days are over. This one is over $100 with exchange. I may order the $20 bearing and brush kit, fix it and throw it on the shelf.

I have an LJ so I'm not sure if TJs have this last crossmember that I'm currently replacing??

View attachment 401981

The LJ has an additional cross member - that the TJ does not have - to which the stock tank is mounted. There is also a cross member in the rear just like the TJ - if this pic is your rig that is what your tank is mounted to, and the reason I asked the question. Cut out the additional LJ cross member and you can move the tank back something like 8”.

Reactions: Woodrow
The LJ has an additional cross member - that the TJ does not have - to which the stock tank is mounted. There is also a cross member in the rear just like the TJ - if this pic is your rig that is what your tank is mounted to, and the reason I asked the question. Cut out the additional LJ cross member and you can move the tank back something like 8”.

Ok then. I'm replacing the last crossmember that is currently cut out.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Ok then. I'm replacing the last crossmember that is currently cut out.

Gotcha - that makes sense. When I first looked at your pic I did not realize the rear cross member was gone. My LJ is stretched and the tank is bolted to that rear cross member.

Reactions: mudmaster