What did you do to your TJ today?

New inner shift boot arrived today as I was ready to walk out the door to go wait in line for my kid to get out of school. I decided to grab a small socket set and drive to school to start my project while I waited lol 20 minutes later and the sun is beating down on my head since I dropped the top before leaving And I’m finished. I can wait to start driving down the road to get some air

View attachment 418136

View attachment 418137

View attachment 418138

I just bought the Fairchild one from Summit, hearing that the Crown ones tore sooner. I figured I'd roll the dice on a different brand
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FCD-D4032

Smittybilt seats came out and stock seats were installed.

A9CC9434-9365-455C-B8F3-6746ABCB207A.jpeg

04CB00C9-2677-4962-8063-82C9A3093423.jpeg

Don’t worry, no seats were harmed during this procedure 😉

Blown subwoofer was removed and I spent way to much money at Crutchfield today…

They're everywhere, year-round these days. We called them "pussies" (not the good kind) in the old days. 🤫

View attachment 417995

LOL so very true in so many places. Upside is I work in a foundry where we pour molten metal and make things out of it. People here get dirty for a living. Snowflakes don't last long in the heat. My facility is aluminum, brass and bronze, and we have an iron foundry a few miles from here. We are "Made in the USA".

warming up tomorrow with temperatures starting in the low thirties...

Done waiting- i have had only one day since buying this late fall to run without windows but i did think this area needed a little support for highway speeds.

recommendations for a wind blocker ideas behind the seat?

View attachment 418204

View attachment 418205

None of that is needed.

LIke the doors. Wana see how you did the latches to keep them shut and or open when the need arrises.

Thank you! The latches are just about as simple as it can get. I may change that in the future, but for now, I’m happy with them.

A5B0C9F1-92EC-4E2E-8504-D5A22C494C51.jpeg

EAC6ED46-6A3B-4E8D-B81A-C44909A14D3D.jpeg

First off, I did a ton of measuring to get them to fit correctly and tightly so that they don’t rattle. Then I welded them on, rattled a bit anyways, so I put some hot glue inside of them to give it a bit of a rubbery cushion. No more rattling. They look a bit cleaner and nicer now, but those are the only pictures I currently have

Thank you! The latches are just about as simple as it can get. I may change that in the future, but for now, I’m happy with them.

View attachment 418206

View attachment 418207

First off, I did a ton of measuring to get them to fit correctly and tightly so that they don’t rattle. Then I welded them on, rattled a bit anyways, so I put some hot glue inside of them to give it a bit of a rubbery cushion. No more rattling. They look a bit cleaner and nicer now, but those are the only pictures I currently have

Put a tether on something like these so you don't lose the latch. :)
426V11_AS01?$adapimg$&hei=536&wid=536.jpg

LOL so very true in so many places. Upside is I work in a foundry where we pour molten metal and make things out of it. People here get dirty for a living. Snowflakes don't last long in the heat. My facility is aluminum, brass and bronze, and we have an iron foundry a few miles from here. We are "Made in the USA".

I'm a pattern maker, technically a wood model maker but I became a journeyman PM first. Been to a few foundrys in Detroit fixing broken patterns back in the day, I got dirty just walking through the building. LOL

Found a brand spanking new bestop twill replace-a-top for the low low price of $600 on eBay a over this past weekend. arrived Tuesday and I popped it on tonight. short of the shitty bestop logo, im pretty happy & will take extensive care for the shitty aluminum zipper pulls from this point on now that I understand how they fail internally and are stupid easy to replace when they start wearing.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride for me with tops over the past few weeks. from stitching a twill top and not working out, to purchasing a cheap tan top off marketplace and not loving the color, to purchasing a super cheap open box but new top which had been in storage somewhere off of eBay that ended up having mouse damage (honest mistake and the seller was a man of his word for the refund), to stumbling across a twill top which is what I really wanted but didnt want to spend 1k.

to date I think I have 5 soft tops floating around now. 4 problematic ones and this new one :ROFLMAO: oh, and a hardtop I get to push around the garage all summer.
IMG_4629.jpeg

Last edited:

Done waiting- i have had only one day since buying this late fall to run without windows but i did think this area needed a little support for highway speeds.

View attachment 418204

View attachment 418205

I do the same thing with my back corners except I just use on strap in the middle. :D

I bought this one for the windjammer.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/zip-down-windstopper-80-06-jeep-cj-wrangler-yj-tj

Reactions: Kiwi TJ

View attachment 418204

View attachment 418205

I do that too when I have all the windows out but the main top still on, but with just one velcro strap in the middle. Highway speeds popped them right out of the tub rail.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I do that too when I have all the windows out but the main top still on, but with just one velcro strap in the middle. Highway speeds popped them right out of the tub rail.

I do the same thing with my back corners except I just use on strap in the middle. :D

I bought this one for the windjammer.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/zip-down-windstopper-80-06-jeep-cj-wrangler-yj-tj

My little day of play last year those corners had Me concerned at 70 they would blow the stitches much less the 80mph speed limit outside the city limits. A little preventive measures to see if I can get another year from this top- it was a cheap Amazon multipack so I just used them all😁 more is better right?

Kim I was thinking mesh as more of diffuser but I had not seen this. that set up is a little more weather tight- and the way this “spring “ is going down with t he rain…does it work well for you?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I'm a pattern maker, technically a wood model maker but I became a journeyman PM first. Been to a few foundrys in Detroit fixing broken patterns back in the day, I got dirty just walking through the building. LOL

Right on Man! We have 3 full time pattern makers, top notch craftsmen. Yeah that dust gets onto and into everything!

For future use, you should be able to turn the key on-off-on-off-on-off-on and get the codes to flash on the odometer. (I may have an extra 'on' in that sequence since I can't remember if you keep it 'on' for the third one or hit it off again and then on...)

I’ve never been able to get that to work in my ‘06.

Reactions: John Cooper
On the Son's 01 - he got seats put back in to get it ready for inspection looks like there's some play in the rear track bar where the frame side bolt goes through. We might try tightening it up, or drilling it 1 size bigger to take up the slack.

On my 97, I've got sparrows - I pulled the front driveshaft - joints are all fine, but apparently those greasable centering balls need greased every once in awhile. I pulled everything apart so I'll rebuild it anyway. a few u joints and a centering ball - here's my problem, the dust/grease seal on the driveshaft side has some wonky edges on it - anyone have any idea what the name or part number of this is? It doesn't come with the new ball or rebuild kits.

Also, I've looked at 20 different yokes, which one fits my 97 Sport?!? HELP!!
I'm thinking this, but other sites say it doesn't fit

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p1...greaseable_cv_centering_yoke_for_1997_to.html

20230421_103510[1].jpg

20230421_103540[1].jpg

20230421_103531[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
Got to put the 5.3 to good use even though my Honda Fit could have done the job. Saw this guy stranded with his truck on the side of a 55mph road to and I wanted to try and tow him to safety. Ended up going all the way to his place and it turns out were almost neighbors.

01129844-80B4-4ED6-B290-4E55F4F1CCFE.jpeg