What did you do to your TJ today?

Not today, but over the weekend, I finally installed the Dirtworx front and rear bumpers I bought in February. Shout out to @glwood...I pretty much followed your bumper finish thread to a tee. Had a few fitment issues...two holes on the front bumper were just slightly too narrow, so had to bore them out a bit. Also had to bore out the holes on my Poison Spyder tie-in brackets, because the bolts (supplied by Poison Spyder with the bracket mind you) didn't fit through the darn holes.:rolleyes: That was a fun surprise.:BangHead: Just glad I did a test fit and resolved these issues prior to painting. Actual install went fairly smooth. I LOVE these bumpers...especially with the low cost and made in the US.

View attachment 38271
View attachment 38272
View attachment 38273

Added some color to the frame tie-in brackets...

View attachment 38274
Very nice! I like the color of the frame brackets. What do the frame side bolts thread into? I really like my bumpers, also, and you cannot beat them for the price. Great job.

Reactions: PapaWhiskey33
Very nice! I like the color of the frame brackets. What do the frame side bolts thread into? I really like my bumpers, also, and you cannot beat them for the price. Great job.

Thanks @glwood ! They come with brackets with nuts welded into them...pretty nifty design, IMO. Worked well, see below....

250161.jpg

Not today, but over the weekend, I finally installed the Dirtworx front and rear bumpers I bought in February. Shout out to @glwood...I pretty much followed your bumper finish thread to a tee. Had a few fitment issues...two holes on the front bumper were just slightly too narrow, so had to bore them out a bit. Also had to bore out the holes on my Poison Spyder tie-in brackets, because the bolts (supplied by Poison Spyder with the bracket mind you) didn't fit through the darn holes.:rolleyes: That was a fun surprise.:BangHead: Just glad I did a test fit and resolved these issues prior to painting. Actual install went fairly smooth. I LOVE these bumpers...especially with the low cost and made in the US.

View attachment 38271
View attachment 38272
View attachment 38273

View attachment 38274
Looks fantastic! Great work. Nice attention to detail

Very nice, I like those.
Yes, the frame tie ins add significant strength for safety and peace of mind pulling trailers and being extracted on the trail. Not they the latter ever happened to me. :D I have a set of the Poison Spyder tie ins

View attachment 38271
View attachment 38272
View attachment 38273

View attachment 38274

I don't know if you care, but I found some old (shock) bushings that I sliced in half to make spacers for my d-rings. Four bushings took care of the d-rings front & back.

View attachment 38271
View attachment 38272
View attachment 38273

View attachment 38274
Where did you get the tie- frame brackets...especially in the orange? I installed my bumper but the lower frame tie in spots the bolts from oem sheared off and already snapped a bolt remover in one trying to remove it.

Got an estimate for the hood: $1173, so that’s a no go. Set up an appointment with a PDRepair Guy tomorrow at 6:30pm. Hoping he’ll be able to repair the hood. Got another quote on Revolution gears, axles and locker. Redline MTL in the mail, 17 and 14mm hex sockets arrived, a couple of crown body mounts on the way too. Lots of little things happening and some big parts coming soon from the guy in the brown truck
OMG! I would not have thought it would have been that expensive. As for the PDR guy, when he comes he will likely tell you "I can probably make it look better but not 100% because it goes through a body line". And if he is good he will make it look a good bit better, but sill noticeable if you really look. Trying to figure out where he is going to get leverage for his tools working on that spot.

I had a couple of good friends that started a PDR company back in the early 90's (they were Pioneers of the trade) and they sponsored my asphalt round y round stock car. I worked part time for them too. Almost went in with one of them to buy the business when one of the partners moved. Glad I didn't now because that industry became very crowded soon after. The PDR guys don't make nearly what they used to.

Good luck though. Let us know how it comes out.

The jounce bumpers compress into the cup, that's why you remove them when cycling the suspension to check for proper clearance and to get the correct amount of bump stop.

Did you maybe cut the bump stops, and not the jounce bumpers?

I don't know if you care, but I found some old (shock) bushings that I sliced in half to make spacers for my d-rings. Four bushings took care of the d-rings front & back.

Was this to keep the shackles from hitting the bumper and making that annoying gong sound? If so, I'm going to need to look into this. I'm pretty aware of the sounds my Jeep makes on the trail, and when I throw on the shackles that gong sound whenever they hit drives me nuts.

Have a picture?

The jounce bumpers compress into the cup, that's why you remove them when cycling the suspension to check for proper clearance and to get the correct amount of bump stop.

Did you maybe cut the bump stops, and not the jounce bumpers?
On his setup the PO put some Daystar bumpstops in the cup (no jounce bumpers). You cold get confused here because they are where the jounce bumpers go. He didn't need anywhere near the amount of bumpstop this provided on his setup. His tires had about 4" before they hit the fender and I didn't think he would have any other interference issues by removing an inch or so until he can properly cycle the suspension.

Reactions: KCsTJ
On his setup the PO put some Daystar bumpstops in the cup (no jounce bumpers). You cold get confused here because they are where the jounce bumpers go. He didn't need anywhere near the amount of bumpstop this provided on his setup. His tires had about 4" before they hit the fender and I didn't think he would have any other interference issues by removing an inch or so until he can properly cycle the suspension.

Okay, that makes more sense. But no jounce bumpers at all? Yikes! Is it a harsh ride when they hit?

Great idea...I'll to have to look into doing something like that.

Was this to keep the shackles from hitting the bumper and making that annoying gong sound? If so, I'm going to need to look into this. I'm pretty aware of the sounds my Jeep makes on the trail, and when I throw on the shackles that gong sound whenever they hit drives me nuts.

Have a picture?

I believe it's to keep the shackles from sliding laterally. The shackle mounts on the DW bumpers are only 1/2 or 3/4 (can't remember which), so the shackles have room to slide, side to side.