What did you do to your TJ today?

Squealed for a bit...I was at a friend's house for the night...it died entirely on pulling into the parking lot for hockey in the morning. And I'd only used the clutch twice in the half hour drive. After the game I Limped it home with no clutch

How’d you manage that? You shift gears at 3k RPM?

I'm getting an evap CEL and having difficulty filling the tank, so I suspect I need to do this as well. Any tips?

Get the tank as empty as you can to keep your arm out of the gas. The video talks about using a pick or screwdriver to pry the tabs free. I was not able to do that; I just grabbed the cage and firmly popped it off the locking tabs. The plastic is reasonably pliable.

The video in this thread explains how to modify the valve: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-gas-overflow-fix.244/

When reinstalling, it has a specific orientation. Then just press it back on the tabs.

I’m curious. First computer i used was a Comedore Vic 20 then a 64. After that in the mid 80’s (as an elementary student) i was taking an introduction to DOS at my high school on some early model Apple.

I had a VIC=20 as well. I wanted to see what the hubbub was about on low end systems. Other than a lack of RAM (which could be fixed), and a small/oddball screen layout (22 characters per line if I remember), it was surprisingly capable.

Reactions: Weasellee
My first 'real' (i.e work) computer was the PDP-9. 64KB of RAM, so memory management was huge. DEC claimed they had a FORTRAN II compiler, but it never worked, so we had to code in Assembler. Yes, it is bad when you dream in Assembler language, but it happens.

There is a line from one of the old Travis McGee books: Travis is walking through the mall and sees 100 kids in the arcade playing video games and then sees one kid in Radio Shack writing code for the TRs-80. He opines that those 100 kids are going to make that one kid a lot of money.

Now that you mention, I too am old; at least according to my grand kids. I also still have my slide rule, which was also used to design the first computers. It always works, never needs charging, and is sort of elegant in the use of logarithmic scales. The calculator in my phone is more powerful and functional than my first five hand held calculators. (And it does dec-hex conversions!)

I remember explaining to my 3rd grade math teacher how a slide ruler worked. She didn't believe me. I went home and told my older brother who had been teaching me while he did his homework so he let me take the slide ruler to class the next day. She was a great lady and a great teacher, but she just could not wrap her head around a poor kid in the 3rd grade having that kind of knowledge. I hung out with her during lunch and taught her how to use a slide ruler. Very proud moment for me. She was so supportive and bragged to everyone about her student teaching her something new. I still have it in a box in its leather sheath. I can still see Mrs. Bell smiling down at me when she realized I could use it correctly.

Sorry, you stirred up some cool memories from over 40 years ago.

How’d you manage that? You shift gears at 3k RPM?
The hardest is getting it in gear....pretty much just held the stick against first and it's slowwwly rides it until it thunks into gear...from then on you can kinda shift wherever, I normally do at 2500 because it doesn't take long for the synchros and I can't shift without clutch in 5th unless I'm 2500 or under

Reactions: Weasellee and Duner
It was a productive day! Got my old Yakima ski holders mounted to the GenRight tire carrier (I used square tubing welded to clamps from Ruffstuff) and mounted and wired the new Baja Designs Squadron SAE fog lights. Like them a lot.

IMG_8008.jpeg

IMG_7926.jpeg

IMG_7899.jpeg

IMG_7802.jpeg

IMG_7803.jpeg

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I got to play in the snow a little bit today. Also got to try out the savvy cable shifter for the transfer case. Since installing it over a year ago I hadn’t really needed 4x4 so I wasn’t even sure it was adjusted properly lol with a smooth pull it engaged in 4 hi and back to 2 lo. I thought when I installed it everything seemed good but it’s nice to know that it works. I also bought a new battery with top and side posts so I can get my winch installed at some point in the future. The old battery is struggling on cold days but hasn’t let me down yet.

IMG_1027.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

I got to play in the snow a little bit today. Also got to try out the savvy cable shifter for the transfer case. Since installing it over a year ago I hadn’t really needed 4x4 so I wasn’t even sure it was adjusted properly lol with a smooth pull it engaged in 4 hi and back to 2 lo. I thought when I installed it everything seemed good but it’s nice to know that it works. I also bought a new battery with top and side posts so I can get my winch installed at some point in the future. The old battery is struggling on cold days but hasn’t let me down yet.

View attachment 492779

View attachment 492780

It's heartwarming to see you back enjoying your TJ, my friend. May your recovery continue!

I picked this up on 1/4/24 with it completely stock, other than 31x10.50 tires. Yesterday I picked it up from Wheat's Off-Road from getting the 4" lift, SYE & driveshaft, front steering, and wheels/tires put on. It drives & rides much better than before. Obviously the stock suspension and steering were wore out with 193k on them.

This is my first Wrangler, but not my first experience with them. So far, just doing some updating (ATOTO S8 Ultra double din) and replaced all the door/back glass gaskets to stop some leaks.

Front and rear bumpers were supposed to be here today, but with 2" of snow FedEx thought it was hard to deliver.

20240114_173655.jpg

20240119_153548.jpg

Well got in my Rubicon last night and about froze my little tushy ! decided this morning I needed to add Heated seats since @AndyG has them ! I found a simple mod to keep my skinny butt warm .

View attachment 492521

tested out my new seat heater this mornin and I think I toasted my nuts !

1. I adjusted my Savvy shifter cable so that 4HI engages in a better spot.
2. Realize that I absolutely suck at going through the gears to get the TC into 4LO or from 4LO into 4HI. There's always a lot of bad sounding metal grinding going on whenever I do it.