What did you do to your TJ today?

View attachment 510770
Tore into my son's front axle yesterday to find out why the pinion yoke was loose. Bad bearing due to grit from mud getting through the inner seal. Can't figure that one out. No oil was coming out of the tube. Last week we put on a new MORryde tire carrier and new tailgate on his as well.

Today, new muffler and tailpipe on my daughter's Jeep.

Luckily, mine has been up to snuff.

TJ family

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
Pulled off a front flare and fender extension to start replacing them with painted Rubicon flares and rails I got from a boneyard.
How do I remove the old nutserts without damaging the sheet metal? I'm looking at going back with SS nutserts. Good idea?

20240403_232901.jpg

Reactions: FarFire70
Pulled off a front flare and fender extension to start replacing them with painted Rubicon flares and rails I got from a boneyard.
How do I remove the old nutserts without damaging the sheet metal? I'm looking at going back with SS nutserts. Good idea?

View attachment 515097

I would just use lots of antisiez,keeps em from rusting.

View attachment 515097

I just did that and had to drill out a couple nutserts and replace them. I used a bit about the same size as the threads.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
I just did that and had to drill out a couple nutserts and replace them. I used a bit about the same size as the threads.

I’ll be doing the same thing soon! I had to cut most of them to remove the flares and Rubi rails. Anybody know where to get replacement nutserts for the Rubi rails?

Last edited:
They work good and I’m almost positive that Blaine sent me a picture showing me what he was using and I think it was extremely similar if not the same thing-

I did several searches on the soldering and it’s just not recommended and I think what happens is it makes for a weak point where the wire is heated and the solder stops.

It was just one of the many things that working with Blaine recently made me realize just how much he has sweated all the details and he doesn’t back away from quality. I was like man I never knew how to do connections this way.

I’m telling you if anybody gets to know him they will really appreciate what he has to teach.

Solder is a very soft metal with high electrical conductivity. Because it is so soft it has a tendency to crack and should never be used to weld metals or in a shear, compression or tension situation; it will also crack in a situation that experiences vibration (i.e. Jeep). The better solution to splicing wires is to use bare metal barrel crimp connectors with the correct tool, then cover with heat shrink tubing. For more on this, see WatchWesWork on youtube.

Solder is a very soft metal with high electrical conductivity. Because it is so soft it has a tendency to crack and should never be used to weld metals or in a shear, compression or tension situation; it will also crack in a situation that experiences vibration (i.e. Jeep). The better solution to splicing wires is to use bare metal barrel crimp connectors with the correct tool, then cover with heat shrink tubing. For more on this, see WatchWesWork on youtube.

I've been using heat shrink crimp connectors from the boat store by Ancor. Color coded and all sorts of odd fittings like speaker connectors, quick connects, blue to red, etc.

Today I installed a Felpro VS 50458R valve cover gasket kit.
The valve cover gasket has been weeping for some time and after a 600 mile round recently; I decided it was time to replace the gasket.
Disassembly, cleaning and installation were about 1.5 hours; add another hour for several neighbors to ask "What are you doing"?

Today I installed a Felpro VS 50458R valve cover gasket kit.
The valve cover gasket has been weeping for some time and after a 600 mile round recently; I decided it was time to replace the gasket.
Disassembly, cleaning and installation were about 1.5 hours; add another hour for several neighbors to ask "What are you doing"?

...because seeing someone working on their own vehicle is a bit of an oddity these days, I suppose. :D