What did you do to your TJ today?

Over the last year I’ve been collecting OEM parts to redo my cooling system. A new heater core Went in about 1-1-/2 years ago, so I didn’t get that. Today the last piece arrived. My ‘06 is supposed to have the quick disconnects for the trans cooler. When the radiator was replaced, I had to put one in from Advance Auto Parts (along with one of their water pumps) due to time constraints. All they had was the older style trans line fittings, so I had to cut the lines and use a hose to attach to the radiator. So, I just purchased a MOPAR radiator for an ‘04 and will continue to hook it up that way. I figure I’ll clean the Advance Auto one up and store it in the attic of my workshop as a spare. Will probably swap all the parts (all hoses, constant tension clamps, water pump and the metal pipe, t-stat and housing and radiator cap) this fall.

E9291B06-92EE-4378-9034-1C878B18F722.jpeg

I figured the latch had let go on its own, as it has once or twice if I haven't checked the tension on it recently.

Nice MacGyver. (y) That latch is a poor choice for the application. It's a "quick release" clamp that doesn't have a provision for a safety pin and should be shit-canned

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, I discovered that the top bow that runs over the driver's side window frame was missing the flat connector piece in the knuckle and the rivets that hold it were AWOL as well. I called the local Jeep Joint (dealer) and was told to call Bestop as they didn't carry those parts. So I called Bestop customer service and talked to Adam (very helpful) and Bestop apparently don't carry those parts either. So, I measured the one on the passenger side and made a new one out of some aluminum flatbar and secured it in the knuckle with some stainless screws I had leftover from an earlier project.

new knuckle.jpg

And a couple of days ago, I added an aluminum step to the trailer hitch. I figured that if one of the grandkids got too mouthy in the back seat, he'd get to ride standing on that and hanging on to the spare tire. (Actually, I was thinking it might come in handy for me as I've got short legs.)

rear steps.jpg

I just received my carpet kit, for front and rear of my TJ. It looks like they dragged it behind the delivery truck, so I hope it is OK, but going to get after it this week. Weather has been so hot, but might get the fans out in the garage and tough it out this week.

View attachment 111716
Don't it just frost your onions when your stuff looks like it took a turn through the gorilla exhibit at the zoo?

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and ac_
Don't it just frost your onions when your stuff looks like it took a turn through the gorilla exhibit at the zoo?
I really don't understand it. I mean I see the delivery trucks driving around, yet I don't seem them dragging packages behind, but when they get delivered they look like the were drug here from another state. I still haven't opened them up yet, but I am hoping they are not bad. I did peak into the box that had the most damage and it was just padding and it looked ok. I am going to go through it tonight after work.

I’ve been getting some wobble in the front end 45-55mph and decided to finally put in some of the front end parts I had sitting around.

Dry steering test doesn’t show me anything so for now it’s just the unit bearings and I’ll get my front passenger tire balanced again - it seems to be that side.

9D656E25-A14B-42C7-B65A-A5E98603F989.jpeg

350C22F5-C253-42B0-B7AD-C0C8D79C8E03.jpeg

Update: The passenger side was quick to swap, probably around 30 minutes with a toddler interruption. However getting back in and feeling around I found that the sleeve clamps on my track bar are loose. I will be going to Firestone tomorrow to talk to a manager about the work.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
I’ve been getting some wobble in the front end 45-55mph and decided to finally put in some of the front end parts I had sitting around.

Dry steering test doesn’t show me anything so for now it’s just the unit bearings and I’ll get my front passenger tire balanced again - it seems to be that side.

View attachment 111835
View attachment 111836
I think you and I have the same garage floor

55b47ae00c3a48d490452dfa7c5ae4d6.jpg

New 5.13's front and rear, chromoly axles in rear, upper/lower ball joints, axle u joints, amd Vanco 16" front with new steering knucks and rotors, pads and calipers rear. Man this thing stops on a dime with the new BBK on it! Love it.

Reactions: L J