What did you do to your TJ today?

New 5.13's front and rear, chromoly axles in rear, upper/lower ball joints, axle u joints, amd Vanco 16" front with new steering knucks and rotors, pads and calipers rear. Man this thing stops on a dime with the new BBK on it! Love it.

20190828_141449.jpg

20190828_141454.jpg

20190828_141509.jpg

20190828_141515_HDR.jpg

Got my dash cam today and when out to figure out how I was going to run the wire. The windshield seal was pretty easy to peal back and I just ran the wire around that down to the bottom and was going to just temporarily let the remaining wire go over the dash, till I had time to take the dash apart again and do it right. I went to plug it in and then discovered my bright idea of taking out the dead cig lighter outlet and replacing it with USB ports instead, was a bad idea. LOL I can't plug it in. So now I am waiting till hubby gets home to see if he may have a power outlet around somewhere, if not I have to buy one.

I read on the reviews for the cam that some people hard wired it in. I originally thought of doing that but the instructions say to only use their power wire. I'm not sure, maybe it has a reduction thing in it or something to prevent it from burning up the camera? Sure would like to just hardwire it in though.

I also discovered that it is pretty big. I should have known that but I wasn't thinking on how small the windshield is. LOL I just liked how big the screen was on the camera. Here it is down to where I can see it pretty good. Takes up to much of the visual in my opinion.

v8PNjIupSAetBFmnVBDR6A.jpg

So I think I will put it like this. I can still see it for the most part.

HSasCUiXQgS+7boxr9HUGw.jpg

The other option is to just switch it out with the smaller one I bought for my VW a long time ago. It is much smaller, but it doesn't have the rear view camera, and that is the reason I bought the new one is because I wanted one to record both directions. Here is my other one for size comparison.

a0Rih2v8RvacIGlgS%WGTw.jpg

The other thing I didn't think much about when I got it, was theft. Again, with it being so big, it will be easier to see and so easy for someone to just reach in and grab it. The only thing I can do is unhook the power and remove the whole unit each time a park. Kind of a pain, but I don't know what else to do to keep it secure while away from the Jeep.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and ac_
Got my dash cam today and when out to figure out how I was going to run the wire. The windshield seal was pretty easy to peal back and I just ran the wire around that down to the bottom and was going to just temporarily let the remaining wire go over the dash, till I had time to take the dash apart again and do it right. I went to plug it in and then discovered my bright idea of taking out the dead cig lighter outlet and replacing it with USB ports instead, was a bad idea. LOL I can't plug it in. So now I am waiting till hubby gets home to see if he may have a power outlet around somewhere, if not I have to buy one.

I read on the reviews for the cam that some people hard wired it in. I originally thought of doing that but the instructions say to only use their power wire. I'm not sure, maybe it has a reduction thing in it or something to prevent it from burning up the camera? Sure would like to just hardwire it in though.

I also discovered that it is pretty big. I should have known that but I wasn't thinking on how small the windshield is. LOL I just liked how big the screen was on the camera. Here it is down to where I can see it pretty good. Takes up to much of the visual in my opinion.

View attachment 111958

So I think I will put it like this. I can still see it for the most part.

View attachment 111959

The other option is to just switch it out with the smaller one I bought for my VW a long time ago. It is much smaller, but it doesn't have the rear view camera, and that is the reason I bought the new one is because I wanted one to record both directions. Here is my other one for size comparison.

View attachment 111960

The other thing I didn't think much about when I got it, was theft. Again, with it being so big, it will be easier to see and so easy for someone to just reach in and grab it. The only thing I can do is unhook the power and remove the whole unit each time a park. Kind of a pain, but I don't know what else to do to keep it secure while away from the Jeep.
I like the little jeeps in the big jeep. Must mean you can keep jeepin during a lunch break.😉

@KimsJeep I'm supprised the mini jeeps don't have any purple on them :p

One is pink! LOL Yah, haven't got that good at painting in small detail. :D

Just an update on the hardwire thing. I went back and reread the reviews and one person said it is a kit you buy. So I ordered the hardwire kit and it will be here tomorrow. So should be able to do what I want to do. After I get that figured out, I have to figure out how I want to run my wire for the back camera. I think I will go under the jeep and come up through the cowl, if the wire is long enough. I haven't even began to look at that yet. LOL

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Don't do the lockright. If you do get a power steering cooler, it is important, really though, don't do the lockright.
You are saying no, but not why. What is your perception of lockers in the front? Is it the lockrite by brand or all of the lunchbox locker? Tim

One is pink! LOL Yah, haven't got that good at painting in small detail. :D

Just an update on the hardwire thing. I went back and reread the reviews and one person said it is a kit you buy. So I ordered the hardwire kit and it will be here tomorrow. So should be able to do what I want to do. After I get that figured out, I have to figure out how I want to run my wire for the back camera. I think I will go under the jeep and come up through the cowl, if the wire is long enough. I haven't even began to look at that yet. LOL
You could run the wire up behind the driver's rear tire and follow the taillight wiring. The less wire exposed to the elements the better.
0828191433a.jpg

I just happened to have that area exposed.

Reactions: DrDmoney
You are saying no, but not why. What is your perception of lockers in the front? Is it the lockrite by brand or all of the lunchbox locker? Tim
I really enjoy the off-road performance of the locker in the front. I just wish I would have saved for a selectable. The lunchbox for me is not well behaved and has generally caused me a fair amount of trouble. Overheating my power steering, clicking and banging in tight turns even in 2WD and tearing up the front u-joints. Just one of those things I should have saved up for a full case locker. It really is nice on the trail but I wouldn't do a luchbox again.

Last edited:
You could run the wire up behind the driver's rear tire and follow the taillight wiring. The less wire exposed to the elements the better.View attachment 111967
I just happened to have that area exposed.

Ok thanks. I will look into doing that. I also need to tie it into the reverse lights postive, so when I put it in reverse, it will actually activate that camera just like the high tech Jeeps. LOL

Bruiser finally passed the legal inspection.🥳. (new rear sway bar bushings and stabilizer links, New ball joints and track bar.)so I'm back behind the wheel and its feels much better to drive...allot more sure footed and not wandering about as much as it did...
So I took it for spin down an older coast road ....the sun was out....but a cold southerly wind, let me know its still Winter here.
View attachment 111410View attachment 111412View attachment 111413View attachment 111414
Dig it. Like your hulu girl

I really enjoy the off-road performance of the locker in the front. I just wish I would have saved for a selectable. The lunchbox for me is not well behaved and has generally caused me a fair amount of trouble. Overheating my power steering, clicking and banging in tight turns even in 2WD and tearing up the front u-joints. Just one of those things I should have saved up for a full case locker. It really is nice on the trail but I wouldn't do a luchbox again.
Now that I understand and that was why I was questioning it.

Reactions: pagrey
Thanks ...Talula has been my silent co-pilot for a few years now. Never complains about my driving or being too cold either lol

Tiffany has been with me a few years now. She's rode around in a Nissan Titan, Chrysler mini-van, Mrs Willy's Volvo crossover and now has taken up residence in the LJ. Lately she's been turning blue with the increased sun since I dropped the top down. I figure as long as she'll hold together, the LJ is a good place for her. She has a younger sister with a ukulele who moved into the Volvo.

(named for a friend of our daughter's who bears a passing resemblence to her)

Jeep View.jpg

Ok thanks. I will look into doing that. I also need to tie it into the reverse lights postive, so when I put it in reverse, it will actually activate that camera just like the high tech Jeeps. LOL
That would be the PURPLE wire! LOL. Are you mounting the camera in/on the spare or at the license plate?

Not so much to my LJ, but for my LJ.

Added some ACE Engineering door hangers to my workshop. With the 2x4's the way they are, they will hold the doors with the mirrors on and folded all the way in. At least they did on my full doors, I don't have mirrors for these half doors yet. I ran some eye screws into the wall and the bracket I made to attach the bungees to, so the doors won't swing out.

I used to hang my full doors from those brackets up higher. I left them up because I use those clamp style clothes hangers to hold my side and rear windows when I have them off. It works well. The tube looking thing is my Clover Patch windows roll.

I've had the half doors for over a year now. I figure if they are easier accessed than they were when they were in the shop attic, I'll work on them and get them fixed up : )

Had to test fit one to see how they looked. I buddy of mine said he'd paint them Khaki for me. I don't know, I might like the black.

View attachment 110436

View attachment 110437

View attachment 110442

View attachment 110443
Do you know what sliders those are?