What did you do to your TJ today?

@jesseshoots sold me some control arms. Now installed.

if a person has never done this before, it’s sort of trying. It took all my strength to shift the rear axle so the bolts would go through. If I ever go fully adjustable, I’m not sure what I’m going to do. These were about 1/4” shorter than what I had.
Ratchet straps are your best friend for this job.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Savvy cable install, not fun at all with big hands. Was able to do it with skid on and DS in place, but probably would have saved time to remove both. Took 4 tries to adjust it correctly. Pulled off skid drop down brackets and gain 1.5" ground clearance. Wire wheeled frame and primered / painted the surface rusted area from metal to metal contact with the drop for 15 years. At least I am back to stock shovel at least for now. Found rear track bar and rear diff are slightly rubbing gas tank skid too. Got all wrapped up and tried to pull out of the garage, wouldn't go into first gear due to shifter hitting dash. Needed to bend shifter slightly to the rear. Pro tip, shifter base fits conveniently into a receiver hitch for easy bending.

Next on the list, new springs front and rear. Measured springs loaded and got 15 5/8 front and 11 rear. Looks like I lost 1" of lift to sag. Also going to grab a rear track bar and angled bracket. Need a little pinion correction anyway.

Used my TJ to teach my wife how to drive a manual. She did very well. Stalled on a tall hill with a stop sign (stop and go on a hill), which is very normal and even I think that’s a pain. She’s confident enough to keep trying, which is great. I did have to keep reminding her to keep her foot off the clutch and that’s it’s not a footrest. Otherwise, great day.

Finished with installing the front and rear bumpers. I trimmed over 200 pounds off the Jeep. One of the PO made the bumpers by welding over the factory ones.
Waiting for the new winch line and fairlead.

267689DA-B903-4DF3-835A-992E82306A7D.jpeg

BDFC4D50-DBD6-47D2-8235-6A0771DFF345.jpeg

40DDBC8B-87C8-43E6-A0AA-A83198FD1016.jpeg

Dropped transmission pan, welded bung in, replaced filter, got her buttoned up and filled with fluid and then found the transmission magnet on the work bench. So pulled pan, replaced magnet, re-installed pan and new fluid, then finished wiring from when I installed the gauge last weekend.

IMG_7560.JPG.jpeg

Finished the hardware part of the tube fender install. Man what a PITA those old rusted bolts were. All in all the fastest part of the process was cutting out the old fender. Now I have to wire up the LEDs and change the relay. Will post pictures when done.

Reactions: matkal
Removed those awful “TJ” decals that are where the ‘wrangler’ and ‘4.0 L’ are located on US market tjs. Four different fonts are too many.

now... where can I find one of those "trail rated" emblems so I can finally have a 'real' jeep? 😆

Last edited:
About 2 months ago I replaced a set of NGK spark plugs with Champion platinum spark plugs and a several days later I started randomly receiving P300,1,2,3,4,5,6 DTCs and over the past several weeks the misfire codes have become progressively worse. I pulled the plugs and they appeared to be burning normal, but the problem persisted. Measured the CKPS ohms and reference voltage; they appeared normal according to Scanner Danner on YouTube.
So this morning I decided to go visit a friend that is a long time Jeep technician with more than 25 years of dealership experience. Spent the morning chasing down cylinder misfires....
He connected a factory diagnostic tool and read out the CPS while the engine was running; readings were very good.
Tested the cylinder misfires over a 200 second period with RPMs at 1800; way too many... so we retested again and they were really excessive.
Pulled the plugs and his response was "Why are there Champions installed" ? He promptly removed them and installed the factory recommended NGKs. Retested the cylinder misfires and now there were only a few. Next step was to spray Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner in the throttle body and then sprayed a lot down the TB throat and shut the engine off allowing the cleaner to dissolve the build up.
When the engine was restarted about 5 minutes later; there was a lot of smoke coming out which was all the build up from inside the combustion chamber.
Retested the cylinder misfires again and they were gone...
My friend said NEVER install those Champion platinum plugs again; they were the major cause of your misfires. He said that about 12 years ago Chrysler was having a lot of trouble with engines misfiring and the NGKs were the solution.

Last edited:
Took out the carpet, seats and console. Installed Silless 80mil and 157mil heat and sound insulation and attempted to install a powered subwoofer. Insulation looks great, subwoofer doesn't work. I got the seats and carpet reinstalled, but after 11 hours of working, I gave up. I'll troubleshoot the subwoofer tomorrow.

About 2 months ago I replaced a set of NGK spark plugs with Champion platinum spark plugs and a several days later I started randomly receiving P300,1,2,3,4,5,6 DTCs and over the past several weeks the misfire codes have become progressively worse. I pulled the plugs and they appeared to be burning normal, but the problem persisted. Measured the CKPS ohms and reference voltage; they appeared normal according to Scanner Danner on YouTube.
So this morning I decided to go visit a friend that is a long time Jeep technician with more than 25 years of dealership experience. Spent the morning chasing down cylinder misfires....
He connected a factory diagnostic tool and read out the CPS while the engine was running; readings were very good.
Tested the cylinder misfires over a 200 second period with RPMs at 1800; way too many... so we retested again and they were really excessive.
Pulled the plugs and his response was "Why are there Champions installed" ? He promptly removed them and installed the factory recommended NGKs. Retested the cylinder misfires and now there were only a few. Next step was to spray Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner in the throttle body and then sprayed a lot down the TB throat and shut the engine off allowing the cleaner to dissolve the build up.
When the engine was restarted about 5 minutes later; there was a lot of smoke coming out which was all the build up from inside the combustion chamber.
Retested the cylinder misfires again and they were gone...
My friend said NEVER install those Champion platinum plugs again; they were the major cause of your misfires. He said that about 12 years ago Chrysler was having a lot of trouble with engines misfiring and the NGKs were the solution.

I had a very similar experience with champion plugs that came in a "tune up kit". Was chasing the problem with TBS, O2 sensors, ICV, CPS, you name it I replaced it until finally swapped the plugs to NGK and problem gone! Great feeling, glad you fixed it as well.