What did you do to your TJ today?

I think my pinion seal might be leaking:unsure:😬

IMG_20200517_113714.jpg

I had a very similar experience with champion plugs that came in a "tune up kit". Was chasing the problem with TBS, O2 sensors, ICV, CPS, you name it I replaced it until finally swapped the plugs to NGK and problem gone! Great feeling, glad you fixed it as well.
That is the EXACT plug that I pulled today and replaced with NGK, though I hadn’t been throwing codes, just tuning up. This is what the old plugs looked like....

1C20B789-6CFE-4F2B-B003-D8BC8B5A9A01.jpeg

That is the EXACT plug that I pulled today and replaced with NGK, though I hadn’t been throwing codes, just tuning up. This is what the old plugs looked like....

View attachment 162034

I hate to think of all the issues they have caused. I try and post this as much I can in hopes it helps someone.

If you have surging idle, bouncing throttle, cutting out and misfiring. This may help you.

The fix turned out to be be poor quality/incorrect spark plugs. I used champion plugs RC12ECC sold in the Quadratec 00 - 06 tune up pack. I would like to now issue a public service announcement do NOT use the plugs in the service pack.

155769.jpg

Reactions: oldtimer
I hate to think of all the issues they have caused. I try and post this as much I can in hopes it helps someone.

If you have surging idle, bouncing throttle, cutting out and misfiring. This may help you.

The fix turned out to be be poor quality/incorrect spark plugs. I used champion plugs RC12ECC sold in the Quadratec 00 - 06 tune up pack. I would like to now issue a public service announcement do NOT use the plugs in the service pack.

View attachment 162041
Hopefully you can leave a review on the site that won’t be censored/edited/taken down.

Was having the rpm needle jump around a little at idle as well as what I felt was the worst “performance” of any 4.0 I’ve ever had so I reached out to @Jerry Bransford for a little advice and went to the online auto store.

Cleaned Idle Air Controller (IAC) (which I didn’t even know I could do) with throttle body cleaner. Once I had run the whole can through (and almost choked myself out of the garage, thank God for beer) I put the air intake back together and tightened everything back down.

Next I pulled all the NGK R’s (age unknown) and replaced them with the iridium tipped Autolite XP-985’s that Jerry recommends.

Lastly, just for shits and giggles, I aired down to 26.5 just to see how it would ride since so many people say 26-28 is the happy place for our Jeeps. I usually am around 30-31 PSI.

Took the Jeep for a spin (first drive this year) and holy shit Batman! Don’t know if it was the IAC being dirty, the old NGK’s having a little residue on them (and being gapped to .40) or a combination of both but my girl has pep in her step again! I experienced a very noticeable difference in throttle response and acceleration. I was quite amazed at the difference for something so simple. I’ve owned this LJ for 2 years now and it’s the most sluggish 4.0 I’ve ever had. Well it was 😃. As for the air down, I’ll say it does ride softer but I now have a little shimmy in the wheel around 45 mph. If I hang my head out and look I can visually see the tire “wobbling” some (not DW) but then it smoothes back out around 55-60. The disintegration tire here has a road force balance machine and my buddy around the corner who’s on 38’s and 20’s just took his and said he’s never felt his tires ride so smooth. A trip for me may be in store.

Oh... I also removed the top and doors for the season.

Happy Jeepin everyone!

was actually yesterday, have pretty much dismantled all of the rear axle.

View attachment 162066

and found that the outer oil seal is leaking, although I installed it two years ago. can it be that the thru axles are to blame?

View attachment 162067

What the hell did that thing come from, a dump truck!?

That's not going under your Jeep, is it? Are you planning to run 60" tires? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and Hunter Rich
Hello Chris,

this is the original rear axle from my TJ. 60 '' tire? my 2.5 would not have enough power
😅

For some reason it just looks bigger on my screen, haha!

You're right about your 2.5 not having enough power for a 60" tire though!

Reactions: Jpodell and matkal