What did you do to your TJ today?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
yesterday I replaced the steering damper, took me about 45 minutes. No biggy.

I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to do this, and these guy were taking two days and beating the crap our of the mounting stud. Mushrooming the threads and generally destroying the tie rod ends. Then grinding the stud down to the tie rod? sheesh, that looked exhausting.

I went and bought a Pitman Puller for $18 bucks. First I used my Ridgid Impact wrench to remove the bolts ( that works spectacularly )
Then I put the pitman puller on the stud and use the impact wrench to tighten it down just until the puller started to bend. Then I got my MAPP gas torch out and heated the tie rod and about 60 seconds of heat and the stud exploded out of the tie rod, scared the poop out of me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I didn't expect that "energetic" of a separation.

anyway, the new one ( Monroe) damper went in with no problem. Torqued the bolts to 35lbs and cleaned up, took a shower and then took a nap 🤫🥱

yesterday I replaced the steering damper, took me about 45 minutes. No biggy.

I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to do this, and these guy were taking two days and beating the crap our of the mounting stud. Mushrooming the threads and generally destroying the tie rod ends. Then grinding the stud down to the tie rod? sheesh, that looked exhausting.

I went and bought a Pitman Puller for $18 bucks. First I used my Ridgid Impact wrench to remove the bolts ( that works spectacularly )
Then I put the pitman puller on the stud and use the impact wrench to tighten it down just until the puller started to bend. Then I got my MAPP gas torch out and heated the tie rod and about 60 seconds of heat and the stud exploded out of the tie rod, scared the poop out of me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I didn't expect that "energetic" of a separation.

anyway, the new one ( Monroe) damper went in with no problem. Torqued the bolts to 35lbs and cleaned up, took a shower and then took a nap 🤫🥱
Next time you work on tie rod separation leave the nut threaded on flush with the end of the stud. Then when it pops you won't poop.

I started my Savvy Body lift and MORE motor mount install. Body lift was smooth but the motor mount is a b**** and a half.

Can’t even get the passenger side off because the top frame bolt decided to not want to budge at all. Hit it with some WD40 and gonna wait overnight and hope it’s easier tomorrow. Probably gonna pick up some other tools to help me out with it.

Gotta Figure out what to do to extend the fuel filler though.
For 1.25 lift all you have to do is loosen the clamps and center the tube,no need to extend

I started my Savvy Body lift and MORE motor mount install. Body lift was smooth but the motor mount is a b**** and a half.

Can’t even get the passenger side off because the top frame bolt decided to not want to budge at all. Hit it with some WD40 and gonna wait overnight and hope it’s easier tomorrow. Probably gonna pick up some other tools to help me out with it.

Gotta Figure out what to do to extend the fuel filler though.
Those motor mounts can be a PIA, mine I had to lift the motor to get the nut on the stud on the right side. When you are done check the steering shaft where it comes out of the firewall. Mine was rubbing the firewall causing a clunk or binding when I would turn the wheel. I removed the steering shaft support bearing bracket located on the frame by the front shock. I cut it in half and welded a 1” piece in it to make it taller. There is a raised bracket you can buy also.

I installed my fire extinguisher bracket within reach of the driver. I had it on the rear roll cage which would of been a pain to get to in an emergency. I found this bracket on Amazon. I bolted it to the seat studs with careful placement I can still slide seat forward and tilt to get in the back.
69897C32-3F18-4385-A99A-53E9ADB56B6C.jpeg
35A25707-F9CD-40E4-8993-3CA2D23FB4ED.jpeg
8AF7CD18-DA4F-4DAE-AF39-9C4C35D239D4.jpeg

Got a new multi function switch installed so now my fog lights aren't trying to turn on all the time. Also got my steering wheel straightened since adjusting my trackbar canted it over to the passenger side.

Should be finishing up installing CC tonight. @Jamison C has been a HUGE help with the wiring and instructional side. What goes where and all that confuses me. I didn't have the factory wiring so it wasn't a simple plug and play job for me.

Reactions: dschwes and Kiwi TJ
Due to on-going world and domestic events, my wife told me to go ahead and order my Amazon shopping cart and get it in here while the getting is good! So Viair 450c, a Milwaukee battery 1/4" impact driver, and various misc. bits for the compressor install are on order.

Also received my rear bumper clankers, complete with extra anti-clank pads:
DSC01144.JPG

Got a new multi function switch installed so now my fog lights aren't trying to turn on all the time.
Did you buy OEM or aftermarket multi function switch? I need to replace mine too. I pulled my fog light fuse last fall and figured I’d address it in the spring.
I just wonder how long the aftermarket one would last.

I began killing two birds with one stone. I broke my second OEM fog light mount and I was also looking for some better (better than the POS 3/4" lights that come with the Genright kit) turn signal visability. I have some Trucklite 3/4" lights that I haven't installed yet but after breaking the OEM fog mount I bought some combo fog/turn signal lights. They're only mocked up so no report on effectiveness yet.
20220210_173214.jpg