What did you do to your TJ today?

I put her on the scale today. Trying to figure out these BULLSHIT tow ratings for RVs.

Full tank of gas and nothing in the back except my recovery bag, a gallon of water, and a blanket.

View attachment 308329

View attachment 308330
Curious the setup you tow with? RV as in motor home?
I've pulled double with a 2000# (total) ATV trailer w/SxS behind my 5'er. Don't think I'll do the LJ, even tho' I bought it setup for flat towing.

I parked on the scales split (as in the photo) and they asked me to pull fully onto the first pad. She thought it would weigh both axels like that ( it can’t).
The Jeep was exactly 4500 on the single pad.

I’m looking for a small class A motor home (25-30’). 90% of the units that small only tow about 5000lbs. So I can’t use a box trailer, I probably can’t even use a flat trailer. I’ll start another thread about the BS gvwr and gcwr.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I've pulled double with a 2000# (total) ATV trailer w/SxS behind my 5'er. Don't think I'll do the LJ, even tho' I bought it setup for flat towing.
Reading this sentence nearly gave me an aneurysm...what does it mean? I've always wondered what my TJ is actually capable of towing, and this feels like it might be important info if I can translate

Reactions: matkal
Reading this sentence nearly gave me an aneurysm...what does it mean? I've always wondered what my TJ is actually capable of towing, and this feels like it might be important info if I can translate
Nothing to do with the tow rating of our Jeeps. Breathe..

I was responding to folks who've weighed their TJ/TJU and were concerned about GVWR, etc. of the towing vehicle, whether RV Motor Home, Class A, Class C, etc. and relaying my towing experience, and spitballing about whether I'd tow the TJU behind my 5th wheel.

F350 - 32' 5th wheel - 12' Trailer with Yamaha Wolverine X4 (weighing 2000#). It's called towing double (5'er + ATV).

Guess my sequence and parenthesis were out of order.. I can see the confusion.. I guess.

Nothing to do with the tow rating of our Jeeps. Breathe..

I was responding to folks who've weighed their TJ/TJU and were concerned about GVWR, etc. of the towing vehicle, whether RV Motor Home, Class A, Class C, etc. and relaying my towing experience, and spitballing about whether I'd tow the TJU behind my 5th wheel.

F350 - 32' 5th wheel - 12' Trailer with Yamaha Wolverine X4 (weighing 2000#). It's called towing double (5'er + ATV).

Guess my sequence and parenthesis were out of order.. I can see the confusion.. I guess.
Would be towing the TJU instead of the SxS on trailer.

1644431600957.png

In addition to the weight:

You need to be under the max overall length in your state too. Some limit overall to 65’.
And some states require a Class A non-commercial license or better.

My old 5th wheel was 40’. With the 2500 I was about 50-55’. So towing a 16’ Jeep would be approaching max length.

I thought you can only double tow with a 5th wheel? Maybe that is a California rule.

In addition to the weight:

You need to be under the max overall length in your state too. Some limit overall to 65’.
And some states require a Class A non-commercial license or better.
I don't pull in "those" states. Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and maybe AZ sometime.
4 years running. I might be a tad over length but not even a look from LE.
My old 5th wheel was 40’. With the 2500 I was about 50-55’. So towing a 16’ Jeep would be approaching max length.

I thought you can only double tow with a 5th wheel? Maybe that is a California rule.
Mine is a 5th wheel.

While using my burner, cooking food on the rear tailgate, I noticed my stool kept sinking in soft grass or sand...... time for a solution using my tow ball, an old bike rack, a bike rack extension and stool seat.

Now as long as I don't put a lift on the TJ my feet will still touch the ground :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1433.jpg

Last edited: