What did you do to your TJ today?

What is the dual battery setup for?

I just installed a new winch and they recommended a dual battery setup.

When we are in the woods for 2-4 days, I need to be able to run my fridge and charge my phone and other accessories. Diverting as many accessories to the Lithium battery as possible will take pressure off of the cranking battery.

Fixed my small evap leak CEL (P0456) with a smoke test, it was the gas cap!

Also swapped back to the stock air intake and got around to putting in the hella 100/80W bulbs for the Toyota headlight conversion kit I installed last month.

IMG_4628.jpeg

I finished up the rust mitigation for the frame & skid plate and got it all put back together. I'm really bad at taking before pictures once I start a project. The pics for the before sections are either a) the not bad side and/or b) I have already started removing some of the rust and paint. The driver side wasn't that bad, but the passenger side had way more rust. Overall, this rust wasn't that bad, but it was a new project that I wanted to learn how to do, I had the time available, and I wanted to take care of it before it got worse.

I used a drill with a steel wire brush to strip the paint and rust off. Then, I used a coat of rusty metal primer that was recommended to me by Zorba. Then, I did 2 top coats of SEM bumper paint because I had it handy and it is black.

It is too late now, but should I have done anything differently?

skid1.jpeg

skid2.jpeg

skid3.jpeg

frame1.jpeg

frame2.jpeg

frame3.jpeg

Also swapped back to the stock air intake and got around to putting in the hella 100/80W bulbs for the Toyota headlight conversion kit I installed last month.

View attachment 537909

Just picked up another tj last week (you might have seen the pics on this tread) same color as yours. Light Khaki Metalic. 😊

Removed and painted the grill v-brace, replaced those awful condenser well nuts, new water pump, thermostat and housing, hoses, radiator. Got the fan back on and system filled up. Painted a couple rusty and rubbed spots, replaced some hardware with stainless

Tomorrow I'll smoke a brisket and work on the TJ. Need to finish installing the intake, welding in the new muffler, maybe get the center console stack painted and heated seats wired

1000016168.jpg

PXL_20240625_231758455.jpg

PXL_20240625_231803985.jpg

PXL_20240625_231822266.jpg

PXL_20240626_014812303.jpg

PXL_20240626_030804437.jpg

Last edited:
I finished up the rust mitigation for the frame & skid plate and got it all put back together. I'm really bad at taking before pictures once I start a project. The pics for the before sections are either a) the not bad side and/or b) I have already started removing some of the rust and paint. The driver side wasn't that bad, but the passenger side had way more rust. Overall, this rust wasn't that bad, but it was a new project that I wanted to learn how to do, I had the time available, and I wanted to take care of it before it got worse.

I used a drill with a steel wire brush to strip the paint and rust off. Then, I used a coat of rusty metal primer that was recommended to me by Zorba. Then, I did 2 top coats of SEM bumper paint because I had it handy and it is black.

It is too late now, but should I have done anything differently?

View attachment 537911

View attachment 537912

View attachment 537913

View attachment 537914

View attachment 537915

View attachment 537916

That's about what i did when I had mine off recently. I try to clean up and spray a little paint on each area I work on when under my jeep, it just makes me feel good to chip away at rust prevention since I live in the rust belt. Gonna try to do more before winter, including wool wax in the inside of the frame. Anything is better than nothing! 😉

Removed and painted the grill v-brace, replaced those awful condenser well nuts, new water pump, thermostat and housing, hoses, radiator. Got the fan back on and system filled up. Painted a couple rusty and rubbed spots, replaced some hardware with stainless

Tomorrow I'll smoke a brisket and work on the TJ. Need to finish installing the intake, welding in the new muffler, maybe get the center console stack painted and heated seats wired

View attachment 537955

View attachment 537957

View attachment 537958

View attachment 537960

View attachment 537961

View attachment 537962

Nice work, Nicer is the SuperCharger

Nice work, Nicer is the SuperCharger

Thanks. So far today, intake and engine bay finished up, had to move the hood bonding strap to the side of the center rib since it was rubbing the intake tube. It's all very tight packaging.

Oh, and the brisket's on. Had to get up at 4am to get her started.

PXL_20240626_130836012.jpg

PXL_20240626_131558879.jpg

PXL_20240626_130917660.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 537909

How do you like the Hellas? I did the Toyota conversion, but am still using the bulbs that came with the kit. Is there enough of a difference to justify the Hella bulbs?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Duner
How do you like the Hellas? I did the Toyota conversion, but am still using the bulbs that came with the kit. Is there enough of a difference to justify the Hella bulbs?

From what I could tell they look way brighter in my driveway, but I haven’t had a chance to drive at night with them yet. The wattage is almost doubled from the stock ones and the bulbs aren’t expensive.

Hella H4 100/80W

Reactions: blamc70

I went from stock to a Hella H4 Vision Plus kit about a year ago and it was a good improvement, but I just installed the Holly RetroBright LEDS, and it is so much brighter. They are not cheap, but they are a huge improvement over the H4s. Highly recommended.

Speaking of lights, I have already taken off the factory fog lights. I want to replace them with some aftermarket LEDs that look similar to the factory 6" round lights. Anyone have any suggestions? These are the top candidates right now.

EDIT: My budget is about $75-150.

Last edited:
Speaking of lights, I have already taken off the factory fog lights. I want to replace them with some aftermarket LEDs that look similar to the factory 6" round lights. Anyone have any suggestions? These are the top candidates right now.

I have been looking at upgrading my factory fogs too. Right now I have some Hella H3 bulbs in them and they are better than factory, but just OK. I have been thinking about getting the KC HiLites 653 LEDs (https://a.co/d/0gXbH1jt), but am worried they will look too big even though they are still 6"/ They jusy seem more bulky to me.

Reactions: JasterMereel42

KC Apollo Pro - they plug directly into factory wiring connector if you like the KC look.

EDIT: disregard, you said LEDs.