What did you do to your TJ today?

Boy what a difference replacing a 185k mile exhaust and clogged cat will do. I almost feel like I have a fifth angry squirrel! Pic below is what came out of my cat, no banging or anything, just tilted it and collected the crap.

On another note, the PO of my Jeep was something special. I sprung a coolant leak, narrowed it down to water pump gasket. Cool, let's do new hoses, t-stat, water pump while I'm at it. Turns out, dumb shit only put 3 of the 4 bolts in the water pump last time he had it out. Guess where it was leaking??? I swear I saved this TJ from the scrap yard, PO was no more than 5k miles from some form of catastrophic failure and wouldn't fix it. Dude didn't know a piston head from his sister's titty.

PXL_20230909_220920384.jpg

Today was a GOOD day because we drove over Corkscrew Pass (12,300ft) and had a late lunch in Silverton.

cp.JPG

Today was a BAD day because later on a grocery run something broke and transmission fluid sprayed everywhere.

tf.jpg

Today was a GOOD day because the Colorado State Police saw me walking along the road and gave me a ride back to the campground.

Today was a BAD day because the tow truck broke down.

LOL

Andy

Today was a GOOD day because we drove over Corkscrew Pass (12,300ft) and had a late lunch in Silverton.

View attachment 456527

Today was a BAD day because later on a grocery run something broke and transmission fluid sprayed everywhere.

View attachment 456528

Today was a GOOD day because the Colorado State Police saw me walking along the road and gave me a ride back to the campground.

LOL

Andy

I don't know whether to laugh at the whole good bad thing or just keep it to myself.

View attachment 456527

View attachment 456528

LOL

Andy

Enjoying your Mercury Retrograde, are you?

View attachment 456584
New tires and wheels. 30x9.5x15 Falken Wildpeak A/T’s on American Racing wheels. Big difference from the old stock 215x75x15’s. Stock suspension and a 4cyl, so I didn’t want to go any bigger. Really happy with the result. Reading through the forum helped with the decision. Thanks.

I'm still running the stock 30s on mine with a 4.0 and the plan is stick with that size. Mine were new on the Jeep when I bought it.

Reactions: John Cooper
Just got it started back up with the new copper/brass radiator and let it warm up to normal running temp, sit there and idle for about 10 minutes and check for leaks and then shut it back down as it's about time for me to go on my daily run to Dyersburg. When I get home this evening, I'll check the coolant levels and start it up again. With a little luck, I'll be driving it to D-burg tomorrow.

More progress on the cabin air filter design. Since last week, the filter cartridge box has been redesigned from top load to front load design. This allows for a little more under-cowl clearance and also much easier filter cartridge changes. Some other design improvements have been made as well. All parts have been successfully printed in ABS plastic and dry fitted as of this morning.

Here's a quick video of the 3D assembly being orbited in CAD.

The design is comprised of five printed parts, four of which get glued together permanently. Hardware used is one #8 speed nut and one #8x3/4" phillips flanged rounded head screw, aside from the three screws for attaching the factory duct to the sub-cowl. The current cartridge box is designed specifically for the K&N VF1010 reusable cabin filter (for late model Jx Jeeps), but could be easily modified to use any facsimile of the Mopar 55111302AA filter. I've got a couple sizes and types of foam tape to try out for the gasket and may also take a shot at printing one in TPU if I feel froggy.

TJ_CAF.jpg

I'm considering this current design to be a functional prototype and will be bonding all of the parts (possibly later this evening), installing on my LJ and giving it a real-world test.

New front driveshaft got in just in time

PXL_20230903_140101027.jpg

Took it out for a nice little glamour shot before bashing it off rocks

glamour.jpg

This was a smidge too steep. The hill climb at the end of Gorge Rock Crawl at Iron Range ORV is no joke. Loose silty stuff with large loose boulders. Bud had to winch me the last 50 ft or so.

PXL_20230909_180613482.jpg

PXL_20230908_000719909.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230910_174819025.jpg

I know people say all the time that the mid arm may feel no different than a well set up short arm most of the time but holy hell is it different. So much more stable. Jeep's a little mountain goat now, just walking up 3 foot ledges no beats missed. Steep hill climbs that front end is totally planted. Even with the little Rancho RS9000XLs in the stock location it eats up bumps better, I was hauling pretty good through some whoops and keeping up with my brother in law's RZR. Picked up some rock rash on a couple of the fenders and rock rails and all of the wheels, as is tradition. New diff guards didn't come in in time and bashed both dana covers into rocks but luckily held up ok.

Also had it running just beautifully on the new injectors and map with the boost bypassed. Next step is to outboard the shocks and install a meth kit.

Last edited:
Got it all back together and went on about a 5 mile test drive that didn't show any problems. Temp stayed below 210F and when I got back, I gave it a quick washdown to get any greasy fingerprints and all the dead bugs off of it. (I know a dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep, but I was tired of looking at 'em. Figured I'd take my daily trip to D-berg in it and get a fresh set of bugs.

View attachment 456584
New tires and wheels. 30x9.5x15 Falken Wildpeak A/T’s on American Racing wheels. Big difference from the old stock 215x75x15’s. Stock suspension and a 4cyl, so I didn’t want to go any bigger. Really happy with the result. Reading through the forum helped with the decision. Thanks.

The Wildpeak A/Ts came standard on my wife's Renegade, and when they finally wore out (we got something like 75K miles from the OEM set), I had no qualms about buying another set of them. Looking at putting them on my F-150 shortly as well. They wear like iron and are plenty grippy.

I'm considering this current design to be a functional prototype and will be bonding all of the parts (possibly later this evening), installing on my LJ and giving it a real-world test.

Parts bonded and assembly installed. Now we dance! :D

IMG_20230911_182740978.jpg

IMG_20230911_182811199.jpg

Front loader was a good revision, I think.