What did you do to your TJ today?

Gonna do a ghetto rebuild this weekend since I have lost compression,pistons are bad !

But as of now I'm "matching the weight" of my rods they were all 667-670 grams and I got em to the number of the beast at 666 šŸ˜† This wasn't intentional but it's funny to me

Note I deburred the rods since they had pretty sharp edges on the sides and where the wrist pin is at! I'll see if the ones in my current motor are the same ! Which I'm assuming them to be so
20240322_231516.jpg

20240322_231456.jpg

Wish me luck y'all I plan on having the jeep running&driving by Monday,but I gotta work on my dad's 4runner replacing the injectors first thing in the morning ! I'm always busy šŸ˜¶

Today, I did whatever @hosejockey61 & @machoheadgames told me to do.

The result is my pinion & carrier bearings are all now replaced, everything is buttoned up with a quart of oil loaded up to see if we leak overnight. I have a lot of experience with draining brand new oil due to a leak, so no we proceed with caution as a rule.

I think that is the last of the vital stuff to be done to daughter's 97, just in time for the good weather to start driving around. At which point we'll discover 5 new vital things.

Today, I did whatever @hosejockey61 & @machoheadgames told me to do.

The result is my pinion & carrier bearings are all now replaced, everything is buttoned up with a quart of oil loaded up to see if we leak overnight. I have a lot of experience with draining brand new oil due to a leak, so no we proceed with caution as a rule.

I think that is the last of the vital stuff to be done to daughter's 97, just in time for the good weather to start driving around. At which point we'll discover 5 new vital things.

Lube Locker. Front and rear of my tj and now rear of my dakota. No leaks. And reusable and no scraping.

I have been troubleshooting an engine miss for quite some time, but found that the original OEM throttle body (2000) throttle shaft bushings were leaking due to years of useā€¦
Since there arenā€™t new OEM throttlebodies available I purchased a new 62mm throttle body (old was 55mm).
I disconnected the battery ground to reset the ECM while installing the new throttle body.
The first things I noticed were a smoother idle (suspect new fuel trim) and throttle response is better; as for gas mileage I will know more after I drive the Jeep more.

Last fall, I had the Jeeps AC system vented so that I could replace the heater core. Today, I had the shop at the end of the street charge up the AC system again. It blows cold air.

What heater core did you end up using?
Went for a dive this morning in my 06 LJR and turned on the heat only to have the sweet smell of heater core death fill my nostrils.

Picked up a set of hard upper doors.

IMG_3036.jpeg

The upper is just sitting on the half door in the pic, it's not mounted yet.

Now I just gotta take them apart, clean them up, and then either paint them black or paint the Jeep green šŸ¤Ŗ

Depending on how I like them, I may even start looking for a hardtop for the cold season.

Picked up a set of hard upper doors.

View attachment 511729

The upper is just sitting on the half door in the pic, it's not mounted yet.

Now I just gotta take them apart, clean them up, and then either paint them black or paint the Jeep green šŸ¤Ŗ

Depending on how I like them, I may even start looking for a hardtop for the cold season.

Are those Bulldogs? Looks sharp.

did a preliminary test on the new bearings with the tear end still in the air. There was an immediate whine that went away very quickly. After that no noise whatsoever in either direction.

Then non jeep related, wife took the Expedition to get the oil changed. Normally I do it but she rightfully didnā€™t want to wait for me this time. Comes home, car has a crankcase ventilation code. Turns out they forgot to put the oil filler cap back on, and the engine cover is missing. I HATE letting other people touch my cars.

And perhaps a funny aside, I have 6 cars (which is kinda stupid in and of itself). ā€˜21 Expedition, ā€˜14 Lexus, ā€˜12 JKU, and 3 TJā€™s. The ONLY one that doesnā€™t have a CEL on is the 97 that I bought *because* it was broken down. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Not Bulldawgs. I believe they may be Smittybilt.

I'm pretty sure that with the Bulldawg uppers, only the rear section of the glass slides forward and the front section is fixed.

On these, the front and rear section slide independently.

I'm pretty sure that with the Bulldawg uppers, only the rear section of the glass slides forward and the front section is fixed.

The dead giveaway with the Bulldawgs is the bottom edge of the glass follows the line of the top of the half-doors (has an angle in it) for slightly better side visibility:

1711219812191.png

Alrighty, made the trip to Nashville and back.

Met a really cool gentleman @tnjeepguy and saw a bunch of cool Jeeps.

Here is his TJ parked in his garage.

20240323_121207.jpg

Anywhoooo I picked up my new to me Warn 8274 from him and made it back home in time to help my Wife put a bed together.

Then helped my son in law learn what a HiLift jack should not be used for but I did it anyway, just cause I like taking chances.

20240323_152339.jpg

Yep we leveled their shed.

Edit- IGNORE MY POST IS WAS THE FAULTY "Even Fischer catalytic converters" causing the excessive blowby

Alright ladies and gentlemen.....uhm I done torn down the engine took every single piston out and ALL the pistons and rings are OK....
So whatever non ferrous metal (not metallic) weren't pieces of piston...so maybe I dropped aluminum chunks/shavings when I did my head and cam swap ? I know I ported my intake and maybe I didn't flush out the aluminum pieces out completely?

Please read this ā¤µļø
I need some input from you guys cause I'm stumped,the reason I was gonna swap out the old pistons with new ones is cause my jeep made this horrible rattling sound when I decaccelarate ! As well when i accelerate or rev my engine it reeks of burnt oil but no blue smoke or smoke at all comes out my tailpipe !

Under load it stops the rattling and the timing chain seems loose as always cause it's a 4.0 and it's new lifters are all good same with the cam!

My only suspicion would be the crankshaft bearings being shot but I wiggled the crank and basically no play,haven't checked the cam shaft play but that's next šŸ¤·

The rings spin freely ofcourse cause they're out the engine but I did kinda have to pry the rings but no crazy force to take em out so it could've just been the rings being slightly stuck? But what could cause that rattling spun Rod type noise ?
Also the wear on the rod bearings is beautiful!
20240323_180301.jpg

Edit : to note the flexplate doesn't have any apparent Cracks on it
The engine makes the same sound when a flexplate is loose ! So could the flex plate bolts on the crank be loose?
Still am confused due to the strong smell of oil when I step on the gas/rev it

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Duner