What did you do to your TJ today?

My construction company can dig a footing or strip a roof....rains every time.

I can pull the top of my jeep- rain.

Beats me.

Andy, I used to have a roofing and remodeling company. I always had the guys tarp the roof before going home. I've heard and witnessed some disasters including an uncovered roof that destroyed the homeowner's entertainment room costing $10,000. That was 17 yeas ago!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and AndyG
Andy, I used to have a roofing and remodeling company. I always had the guys tarp the roof before going home. I've heard and witnessed some disasters including an uncovered roof that destroyed the homeowner's entertainment room costing $10,000. That was 17 yeas ago!

Brother you know the joy-

If it can happen, it will.

We had a roofer get confused and take the roof of the wrong house once. 8 a.m. and it’s in the dump trailer and got new felt ......of all the times to be productive.

I have been really blessed but there are parts of it I hate so much I nearly need therapy.

We had a roofer get confused and take the roof of the wrong house once. 8 a.m. and it’s in the dump trailer and got new felt ......of all the times to be productive.

I have been really blessed but there are parts of it I hate so much I nearly need therapy.

Belive it or not that happened to a fellow roofer friend of mine. I understand it was an interesting seen when the homeowner came home from work and noticed his roof was missing! Glad I wasn't there!

Reactions: AndyG
Belive it or not that happened to a fellow roofer friend of mine. I understand it was an interesting seen when the homeowner came home from work and noticed his roof was missing! Glad I wasn't there!

Awkward doesn’t describe it. I was hugely fortunate the guy hired me to change the roof line ....I quickly said “sure”.

I went to my favorite veteran supporting restaurant. Asked them if they had any MAGA inspired sauce. I'm sure @John Cooper would approve. :cool:🇺🇸
Mission BBQ.jpg

Alabama white.jpg

Last edited:
BEFORE

This was washed and waxed on Monday and these still are there.

View attachment 521791

I had those same spots on the hood of my '04 TJ. Went back to the dealer and was told it was from acid rain. I did not know we had acid rain in S. Tex, but apparently we do. He also said certain colors were more susceptible. My '04 was Beryl Green and covered with those spots. My '06 is Bright Red and doesn't have any spots. I got rid of most of them using poliching compound (not rubbing compound). Good luck!

I guess I’d be thinking “great I get a free roof” 😁😂. I hate to be the guy who got the wrong house.

Reactions: AndyG
You might pull the line that feeds that nozzle and check what condition it's in. Run some water through it for a minute and see what comes out. I've seen this happen a few times when the rubber starts to degrade on the inside and breaks down into a powdery/chalky like state and becomes a bit of a slurry when mixed with the washer fluid.

Oddly, i don't recall ever noticing it on the windshield, it always seems to trickle onto the hood. I've seen it clog up a nozzle before, too.

I replaced all the washer lines last year when I got this TJ.

AFTER

IMG_8512.jpg

And we have success! I took it back to the detailer and he spent about 20 minutes using some polishing compound and got out the stains from the washer fluid. He then waxed it, and it looks like this now. Got all the stains off the fenders and the hood. Looks fantastic now. I am very happy at this point.

AFTER

View attachment 521990

And we have success! I took it back to the detailer and he spent about 20 minutes using some polishing compound and got out the stains from the washer fluid. He then waxed it, and it looks like this now. Got all the stains off the fenders and the hood. Looks fantastic now. I am very happy at this point.

But still not sure what caused it? What's to keep it from happening again?

Edit: another question... Was it only that spot, and not around the other nozzle?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and AndyA
Drove it this week after changing the water pump, T-stat, hoses, harmonic balancer and timing chain. I have owned this Jeep since 2019, it is the 4th 4.0L Jeep I have owned, and driven/worked on many more. It has 167k on it, and always seemed a tad sluggish. Not bad, but noticeable. I've done all tune-up parts, PO installed 4 hole injectors, I replaced all the original throttle body sensors with Mopar. After the chain replacement, it seemed snappier, but still had a bit of a strange idle to it. I only noticed the chain was loose when I did the RMS/oil pan gasket two years ago.

I was flipping through the paperwork the previous owner gave me, and saw they replaced both O2 sensors with some store brand. I had only used NTK on my 4.0Ls as they are OEM, and replaced them today with some Mopar units (rebranded NTK Japan sensors), idle is perfect now.

But still not sure what caused it? What's to keep it from happening again?

Edit: another question... Was it only that spot, and not around the other nozzle?

What caused it is either a) mixing of washer fluids caused a chemical reaction with the paint or b) I just let old washer fluid sit on it for took long. For a), I am going to completely clean out the washer fluid reservoir and only use new fluid. For b), I now know to not let washer fluid sit for so long on the paint.

This happened all over the hood and fenders. I just took a close up of this one spot to better show the stains.

What caused it is either a) mixing of washer fluids caused a chemical reaction with the paint or b) I just let old washer fluid sit on it for took long. For a), I am going to completely clean out the washer fluid reservoir and only use new fluid. For b), I now know to not let washer fluid sit for so long on the paint.

This happened all over the hood and fenders. I just took a close up of this one spot to better show the stains.

Old washer fluid will do it. Especially cheap stuff. I've seen it.

Reactions: JasterMereel42

Ah, ok. I've mixed fluids quite a few times without seeing this, but when I'm mixing, it's usually between 2 RainX formulas. I've caught the shop topping me off with generic blue fluid during inspections a time or two though. I've never been in a hurry to clean it off the paint either, but it's something I'll watch for now.

I'd say flushing the reservoir is a good plan. I don't believe I've ever had fluid set in the reservoir long enough to potentially go bad or anything... Seems I'm refilling every 2-3 months at most.

AFTER

View attachment 521990

I think you could've done it yourself with a mild rubbing compound cheaper. Also, the reaction could've been caused with the wax you put on earlier.

Ah, ok. I've mixed fluids quite a few times without seeing this, but when I'm mixing, it's usually between 2 RainX formulas. I've caught the shop topping me off with generic blue fluid during inspections a time or two though. I've never been in a hurry to clean it off the paint either, but it's something I'll watch for now.

I'd say flushing the reservoir is a good plan. I don't believe I've ever had fluid set in the reservoir long enough to potentially go bad or anything... Seems I'm refilling every 2-3 months at most.

This Jeep sat in a garage for over 3 years before I bought it. When I got it about 9 months ago, I saw the fluid was low, I topped it off, and went on my way.

I think you could've done it yourself with a mild rubbing compound cheaper. Also, the reaction could've been caused with the wax you put on earlier.

I probably could have, but I took it back to my detailing guy since he knows way more about this than I do, and has more experience than me. It worked out.

Reactions: Weasellee