What did you do to your TJ today?

Pulled the oil pan and degreased inside and out. Changed the rear main seal. Installed the oil pan, pilot bear, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Got to looking over the second pilot bearing I had and realized I installed my pilot bearing backwards, its has a seal on one side only (the side towards the transmission). Pulled the clutch and pressure plate. Luckily I purchased a pilot bearing puller and was able to pull the pilot bearing and install it correctly without damaging the bearing.

What did you do to prep for the painting. I recently bought a Dana 44 that I will eventually install in my TJ replacing the Dana 35. I was thinking of once I have it all stripped down I would take it to a local shop and have it sand blasted. Once it is nice and clean I would paint it. Did you clean/degrease the axle yourself? If so what did you use?
I hit it with a wire wheel, then used degreaser and a nylon brush to it all. i used simple green and also greased lightning. Then used rust converter primer, then paint!

It continues step by step, today I realized for the first time how much work has to be put into a frame off restoration, with the progress of my work at the TJ I constantly find new positions that should be revised.
a good friend loaned me a spring tensioner so that I can better remove the rust

20200416_111013.jpg

as I said it goes forward in small steps

20200416_111032.jpg
20200416_162912.jpg
20200416_162934.jpg

I got tired of the slop and rattle of the POS tire carrier on the Warn bumper. Seriously, you are going to charge that much for a stupid bumper, you could at least design it with a serviceable pivot! Bearings or bushings are cheap!

IMG_3915.jpgIMG_3916.jpgIMG_3917.jpgIMG_3918.jpg

Ground down and painted all the places that got stuff cut off. Then put on a Rusty's Tire Carrier. My tailgate hinges were crap too, so this addition fixed both problems.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

I swapped out my old bumper w/ swing out tire carrier to a rugged ridge & new bumper, po had rough country shocks, swapped them out for Rancho 5000X, check out the rough country, those only had about 2k miles. changed the seats out too, broke the passenger so I figured I change both, these are smitty built, pretty comfortable.
broken shock.jpg
rear tire.jpg
seats.jpg
Inkedbupmper_LI.jpg
Inkedrancho_LI.jpg
rancho1.jpg

Last edited:
Did some work on the Dana 44 I bought off of CL. Finally got around to removing the diff cover. What a pain in the ass! The guy must have used the large economy size of RTV to seal the cover to the housing. Started scraping the RTV off of the cover. Found some nicks and pitting on the cover. Not sure if I can get it smoothed out, but will give it a shot. The oil definitely had some water in it but for the most part was a black as coal. One of the spider gears looks like one of the characters on "The Tiger King" with a bunch of busted teeth. Any plans to keep the current gears is definitely out the window. Ring and pinion look fine. Next on the list is pulling the axles to see if they are worth saving or not.

D44_Spider.jpg